Weird knocking/creaking sound when turning

byRazh

Reaction score
Hi, new here! Might be a long one hehe. I got a "weird" problem with my -09 S3 manual transmission.

If I turn right in neutral, low speed, with more or less full steering angle, this sound appears (https://imgur.com/a/A4ET08K), ie a more "knocking" sound. If I have any gear in, and drive at low speed, with more or less full steering angle, with even gas, no sound appears. As soon as I release the gas, there will be a more "creaking" sound (https://imgur.com/a/t8HHiLY). But if I have any gear in and press down the clutch, there is no sound. No matter what, no sound appears if I have the clutch depressed and turn right with more or less full steering angle.

Now if I turn left. In neutral, it sounds nothing. If I have any gear in, with even gas, no sound appears but as soon as I release the gas the same "creaking" sound appears, as turning right. If I press the clutch down, it is completely silent no matter what, same as right.

I have been at 3 different workshops but no one dares point a finger at what it could be. One guessed throw out bearing.

I have changed the right CV-joint, front springs and both top mounts.

Maybe someone in here has had the same problem?
Any guess on what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

Ironically I have a similar issue on my A3, but mines dsg & it does it only on lock turns at slow speeds, as soon as I speed up or straighten or release accelerator, it goes away, so I've got a shaft & rack to swap with as I needed to fit gen 3 anyway, I've fitted allot of new stuff months back, so I don't believe its suspension, but suffice to say, I'll be checking it all as its ****** annoying tbh, now does on left lock too as started on right only, so I'm hoping its just the rack.

Ironically I have a similar issue on my A3, but mines dsg & it does it only on lock turns at slow speeds, as soon as I speed up or straighten or release accelerator, it goes away, so I've got a shaft & rack to swap with as I needed to fit gen 3 anyway, I've fitted allot of new stuff months back, so I don't believe its suspension, but suffice to say, I'll be checking it all as its ****** annoying tbh, now does on left lock too as started on right only, so I'm hoping its just the rack.
Yeah, sounds like a similar issue.. I really don't know where to begin haha. It's a pretty complex problem tbh. One mechanic said the throw out bearing is faulty, other one said its a bearing inside the transmission and he suggest that I change out the whole transmission. But the thing is there is no sound when I turn at low speed with even throttle, but as soon as I release the throttle the sound comes. And also goes away when I press the clutch in. So yeah, I don't know...

My 2007 s3 does this too, again only on hard lock right at low speeds, been like it over a year and doesn't seem to have got any better or worse.

My 2007 s3 does this too, again only on hard lock right at low speeds, been like it over a year and doesn't seem to have got any better or worse.
Got ya! It has been this way since may when I bought the car. Same as you, haven't gotten any better or worse. You haven't checked what the fault could be?

Got ya! It has been this way since may when I bought the car. Same as you, haven't gotten any better or worse. You haven't checked what the fault could be?
Well it wasn't the steering rack, or front suspension / top mounts, as they have been replaced. My local mechanic couldn't find the issue and I didn't feel like chucking money at parts hoping for the best!

Well it wasn't the steering rack, or front suspension / top mounts, as they have been replaced. My local mechanic couldn't find the issue and I didn't feel like chucking money at parts hoping for the best!
That's unfortunate. Im looking to sell the car next year so would like to find the problem hehe.
Cv joints?
I have changed the right one and made no difference. Im thinking if it is cv joints, why doesn't it sound when I add throttle? As that is a typical symptom for a bad cv joint.

So as I understand it the sound appears with drive through the components? When you add throttle torque is applied throughout all the drive components so whatever is knocking may be forced against each other.
Imagine you are on a bike. When you push down on the pedal, force is applied through the crank, into the chain as into the gears. All parts are forced into contact. Release and everything slackens. In neutral there is slack in the system so components can knock as parts have freedom of movement. Hope that makes sense.

So as I understand it the sound appears with drive through the components? When you add throttle torque is applied throughout all the drive components so whatever is knocking may be forced against each other.
Imagine you are on a bike. When you push down on the pedal, force is applied through the crank, into the chain as into the gears. All parts are forced into contact. Release and everything slackens. In neutral there is slack in the system so components can knock as parts have freedom of movement. Hope that makes sense.
Yes, I understand what you mean.

The thing is, if I have the car in neutral and turn left it's all fine, no sound. When I have it in neutral and turn right, the sound appears (as in the first video).
When I have it in any gear and do a sharp turn (right or left) and keep even throttle/accelerating, there is no sound. But as soon as I release the throttle, the sound appears (as in the second video). And to make it stop, I either add more throttle/keep even throttle and the sound goes away or put it in neutral (if I'm turning right).

I have same problem, i have replace ball joints,wishbones,shocks,springs, gearbox mount,anti rollbar&hubs. spent over 1k and my mechanic cant seem to find the problem ethier. i really need to get rid of this noise.

i got tracking done today and the noise has stopped. the man said the rod ties was under alot of stress due to tracking being badly off

Reactions: Southall87 and ahtcap
i got tracking done today and the noise has stopped. the man said the rod ties was under alot of stress due to tracking being badly off
I didn't think this was my issue as I had the tracking done when the suspension was changed... however I had some new tyres and the garage did a 4 wheel alignment check which showed one of the back wheels was quite a bit out (2°) which the guy seemed quiet shocked about. Got this sorted and now it seems the knocking has stopped... just goes to show not all wheel alignment is created equally!

Reactions: norris_309