Weird issue with driver door locking after x minutes

Shira

Reaction score
Hi, 2008 8P1 hatchback, since a few days I have a weird issue with the locking of my driver door, whenever I come back to the car and unlock with the remote key, all doors unlock except for the driver one. If I use the key physically it works just fine. So I tried locking/unlocking a few times.. it works perfectly every time, but if I lock it and wait for a few minutes.. same issue, it won't unlock.

Any ideas?

Check the wiring inside the door shuts as a first port of call :)

It's a common fault. Have a search on here.

inside the door shuts

sorry, what do you mean? the thing is after unlocking with the physical key, it works every time, then fails again only if I wait a few minutes, as if something activates after x time

Last edited:
The door lock mechanisms have a habit of sticking on these cars so that may need replacing. If you do a search you’ll find plenty of other threads with similar problems

Door lock mechanism for sure.
Same issue on my A6. Only happens if it’s wet, clears if I open the door from the inside for the rest of the day. Doesn’t happen if it’s a dry day.

I noticed also the central lock with the button inside the car does not lock the driver's anymore (but it still works with the fob)
I guess this is the part I need to replace? (attached pics)

Thanks

C703d9ce 2a90 4a48 b48c 1790e7573eb5

7c973890 53d0 461b b623 89b3f67bae67

Reactions: Retroman
This era of door lock modules are a known problem across the whole VAG range. The micro switches start to stick and "misbehave". I've replaced my driver's door and rear left - both now work perfectly.

There are plenty (with guarantees) on ebay for around £30 - £35. The driver's door is probably the trickiest as there is a tab which links the keyhole and module as well as the internal handle cable and external handle bar.

This trick worked when my passenger side door was a bit temperamental:

I finally changed it yesterday, 30 euro part from Amazon, chinese I guess, it seemed to be working perfectly but then today it suddenly started showing me in the display as if the door was not closed, and then the fob open/close never worked again. If I lock the door with the key it does work and then it doesn't show the door as open, but after I unlock it, same thing.

Upload 2020 10 22 14 8 20

Never buy chinese copy parts. They are just not made to the same standard as oem. Better to buy a genuine used part with a guarantee than a new chinese part imo.

Yeah but ~OEM costs 400% more :< weirdly enough though.. it started working again :blink: in the meantime I'm trying to repair the original part. Both motors seem to be working fine.

bHCaefo.png

I've used these in my car - no problems.
Let's be honest, the OEM ones in this generation (8p) of car are rubbish and start failing after 4 to 5 years as mine did.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-RIGHT-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATOR-MECHANISM-FOR-AUDI-A3-8P-A6-C6-A8-4E/253389999023?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

That looks very similar to the one I bought in Amazon, by ASIN code it should be this one in the UK site:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Door-Lock-Front-4F1837015-4F1837015E/dp/B07MW5CLB4]

I had to swap this piece for the original's cause the metal rod wouldn't fit otherwise:

FpMtHif.png

btw is it supposed to be so hard to swap? it was a pain in the *** to insert the door handle contact that goes inside the yellow cap:

Vc6MLXO.png

The other non-OEM (I guess?) part I was considering was this one, almost 5x the price, but it seems to be for newer editions with the safety mechanism that won't let you open the door while the engine is on (my 2008 8P1 doesn't have that luckily)

dbLnR5Y.png

The OE ones I removed from my car were stamped (Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat) and were made by a company called "INTIER". As with yourself, the clamp to attach to the handle rod was slightly too small and so I used the original ones. As you say, the driver's door is probably the hardest as you have to insert the tab on the back of the key mechanism vertically into the slot on the lock mechanism.

After 10 months with the cheap 30 euro part the same is starting to happen again, randomly won't unlock with the remote.