Webasto auxiliary heater retrofit

nevergivup99

Reaction score
Hi, I recently fitted a Webasto auxiliary heater unit to my A3, I bought the full kit from Germany, it was a dedicated kit, and was a doddle to fit, but you do need access to a ramp or a way of running fuel/pump power to the vehicles own fuel tank, I have a PDF file available, unfortunately its in German but is very easy to understand visually. I don’t know how to put that on this site, but I could email it to somebody who could do it for me.
It cost approx £900 but is a mod well worth the price .

Reactions: A3SBQ
Hi pics wouldn’t do it justice,but I will try to find some on my camera , its not an aesthetic mod its basically a stand alone heater that is hidden behind the left hand front wheel arch, it heats both the engine and the inside of the car, so that when you get in the car is warm, defrosted & the engine is pre warmed so starts smoother and comes up to operating temp sooner .It can be operated via an onboard timer, a remote control key fob or there is a kit to use a mobile phone to operate it .It means you don’t spend ages on a frosty day getting cold, defrosting your car , it doesn’t start the engine ,so the insurance companies are happy .
I have fitted one to all of the vehicles I have owned over the last 15 years and have got so lazy. I look out the window of a morning, if its cold I turn the unit on with the remote, have a shower, get dressed, don’t need a jacket, because the car is so warm. And off to work I go .It uses very little fuel anyway, so no worries about costing a fortune to run, and looking at the price of de-icer, I think the benefits far out way the cost. And more importantly the main unit can be removed at a later date to fit in your next vehicle, you will just need a fitting kit for that particular model. I have fitted the same unit to three cars over a number of years , then changed the fuel type so needed a different type .

So it's powered by the cars own fuel? Do you have to tap into the fuel lines?

How long did it take to install?
Is it coded to your car or is it a standalone?

I would install it to. I have sent you a PM regarding
the instalation guide.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, took about eight hours to install, but most of that was spent trying to discover how panels are released and parts removed, but I have both ELSA and ETKA now so its not too bad, the only coding you need is to lower the sensitivity on the interior sensors, the instructions are included on the PDF.
It is a stand alone unit, and is often referred to as a parking heater, having said that, the vehicle is equipped with the original fixings and tank fuel take off probe, so no drilling or cutting of body steel work or panels.

But was this the oem unit or the aftermarket webasto version, as I seem to recall it involved a load of extra piping.

How do you control it? Have you installed a stand alone timer or a wireless remote?

Its the Webasto aftermarket kit , but its dedicated to the vehicle , It requires a bit of repiping ,but everything is in the kit , Its not the universal kit that we get in this country, Webasto in Germany can provde full dedicated kits to most vehicles . Mine has both a dashmounted timer module and a remote control that works hundreds of metres away from the vehicle . If anybody wants to have a look at the PDF manual I have for my vehicle ,I will send them the details.
I will be away till Jan 5th but will try to respond sooner