We have a fantastic.......

The Slug

Reaction score
.....new 43" Pioneer 436XDE plasma and WOW what a panel this is.

Worth every penny, the PQ is superb and the sound, well its amazing, it even puts our Panny DVD surround to shame. I havnt ever seen it running HD just DVD using normal scart and its soooo good.

Have a look, supports HD @ 1080i max, 75 or 100hz switchable, full colour adjustable etc..
Soo many options to list its unreal ohh and 2 x HDMI , well have a butchers on the website it'll show you.
Ours also comes with a seperate media box too, built in Freeview (superb) loads of connections as opposed to the cheaper RXE which doesnt have the box, but built into the back of the set, so having the media box seperate presume would acttract more ppl who wanna wall mount the panel. erm......what else, takes media cards for view photos and..........VGA conntection to run PC thru it, which apparently is exellent, have yet to try that yet.....anyways as u can imagine im very excited, hehe.

Have a look

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_media.jsp?product_id=11144&taxonomy_id=62-63

God you can tell who's got all the money eh! I have to struggle with my poor old 32'' widescreen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice one... Jammy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Same here used to think the 32" was quite big, must have been funded by all them stickers the slug sold still thats one hell of a tv git i want one.

I cant wait for the PS3 with HiDef, oooooooohhhh love it. Havent even seen it running Hidef yet, but from online reviews and magazines, its the ultimate.

For anyone considering a large flatscreen tv, i can defo recommend this and you'll never look back.
the two 28" widescreens now look like portables, lol
Regards cost, RRP is £2,800 but i found the best price i could which took over a 2 month period of reviewing, searching and seeing any TV's and got its for less over the net.
Was looking at the new Sony Bravia LCD 40", which was on HiDef at the shop, looks a nice screen but i find LCD's to bright in your face unatural colours compared to plasma's, doing graphics too helps with colours, detail etc.. But for ultimate viewing pleasure for movies with a soft light on in the room, the plasma just looks awesome.
So to anyone that likes watching movies/tele then this is the must-have toy, big toy at that, hehe............now.........where did i put that aluminium remote control..............

wait for sdtv coming at the end of the year, and thats all im saying

Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display
SEDs can combine the slim form factor of LCDs with the high contrast ratios (100,000:1), refresh rates and overall better picture quality of CRTs.
Basically the next big thing in flat panels, because it uses the same phosphor coating on the display as a CRT, you don't get that nausiating jerkiness associated with plasma when watching detailed high speed action like a football match.

Thats the kitty, according to the bloke that fixed my telly they will start at 50 inch screen.

Not haveing ago at slug as his telly does look the dogs.

[ QUOTE ]
Thats the kitty, according to the bloke that fixed my telly they will start at 50 inch screen.

Not haveing ago at slug as his telly does look the dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

and start at 10 grand no doubt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

he said they would be dear but so are most new products that come out.

SED tv production is only going to start in 2007 and they won't be mass produced for another year after that.....SED is much superior but they will be very very expensive and Toshiba being the ONLY manufacturers can more or less command the market price as no other company has the technology available to them. IF your waiting for SED you will have a long wait thats all i'm saying but exciting times ahead for TV indeed!

[ QUOTE ]
Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display
SEDs can combine the slim form factor of LCDs with the high contrast ratios (100,000:1), refresh rates and overall better picture quality of CRTs.
Basically the next big thing in flat panels, because it uses the same phosphor coating on the display as a CRT, you don't get that nausiating jerkiness associated with plasma when watching detailed high speed action like a football match.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Jerkiness problem, mines fine, in fact if u actually read how plasma works, its very similar to CRT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SED tv production is only going to start in 2007 and they won't be mass produced for another year after that.....SED is much superior but they will be very very expensive and Toshiba being the ONLY manufacturers can more or less command the market price as no other company has the technology available to them. IF your waiting for SED you will have a long wait thats all i'm saying but exciting times ahead for TV indeed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont worry i know about SED, but like you say, long, long, long wait and very expensive, im very pleased with what we've got thanks very much, just thought i'd let you all know what a awesome plasma this is.

If i was to buy a plasma thats the one i would go for to Slug......good choice mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

what made you go for the XDE rather than the SXE?

Might be going down this route shortly, so interested to blag your research /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dont forget plasma is really only good for about 5 years before they are shagged out and suffer screen burn and loss of brightness but hey you pay your money. Currently a good LCD will out perform plasma on broadcast and a good crt will be better than both on broadcast. we dont all watch dvds all the time and HD standards have not been set yet by the industry. whats good now may be no good later especially if you get the 768I and they settle on 1080W as the standard the lower res is no longer HD.
The trick the retailers are using is to display LCD's and plasmas with HD DVD demos looks wonderful until you try watching terestrial or digital tv on it then the quality drops as the screen has to scale the picture up to fit the number of pixels it needs to fill. Of course this alsomaginfies the number of errors in the picture and causes the jittery movement and interference.

In my job i deal with this stuff and the sales guys pushing it. (in the trade its shiny kit syndrome or mines bigger than yours).

I agree the pioneer is good but you can get better but you do pay more for it. Good value for the money at 2800 though.

Well as we're all having a nice boast today, I'm more than happy with my 6' or is it 7' (can't remember) wide motorised projection screen and a rather nice surround set-up to go with it.

Does the job for watching DVDs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3d telly coming soon as well, suppossed to knock HDT on the head, Money money money thats all they want.

Sorry, not enough good films around to justify a dedicated theatre setup IMO.
Not really into watching shyte films just because they make my screen & surround sound look/sound good. But each to their own.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, not enough good films around to justify a dedicated theatre setup IMO.
Not really into watching shyte films just because they make my screen & surround sound look/sound good. But each to their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do I to be honest but it has more uses than just dvds(and I think there are enough very good films about to watch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)...

I also watch telly via a digital connection to the PC through the projector and it's pretty good considering image size, and also have a 19" LCD if I can't be ***** using the projector (which isn't much hassle sinse I made it remote control), oh and a 32" widescreen CRT which probably has the best picture quality. Also playing games off my xbox on the projector in full digital sound and high quality video was a good experience, just trying to decide whether to get a xbox 360 or ps3 to replace it, my home cinema actually started out with me just wanting a better stereo hifi but I got distracted.
crazy2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dont forget plasma is really only good for about 5 years before they are shagged out and suffer screen burn and loss of brightness but hey you pay your money. Currently a good LCD will out perform plasma on broadcast and a good crt will be better than both on broadcast. we dont all watch dvds all the time and HD standards have not been set yet by the industry. whats good now may be no good later especially if you get the 768I and they settle on 1080W as the standard the lower res is no longer HD.
The trick the retailers are using is to display LCD's and plasmas with HD DVD demos looks wonderful until you try watching terestrial or digital tv on it then the quality drops as the screen has to scale the picture up to fit the number of pixels it needs to fill. Of course this alsomaginfies the number of errors in the picture and causes the jittery movement and interference.

In my job i deal with this stuff and the sales guys pushing it. (in the trade its shiny kit syndrome or mines bigger than yours).

I agree the pioneer is good but you can get better but you do pay more for it. Good value for the money at 2800 though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards to life expectations this plasma will last as long as the new sony bravia lcd's, ok the plasma runs on special xenon gases, once run out screen is no good. Lcds's on the other hand last the same maybe longer , they will fade due to light unit and the good thing about lcds is you can change the light unit at a huge price, so in 5-10 years time of our plasma, i'd rather buy a newwer up to date model anyways...make sense??

HD is the new standard to be...USA have it, Japan have it, some European countries have it...

Trick of the retailers??.............we bought our XDE of the net much cheaper than you've stated which incl. side speakers and the swivle/tilt base....and based on only seeing this plasma running on DVD via Scart and nothing else, was very impressive.
This screen also runs 1080p max. Also the normal digital channels are pretty impressive with NO jerkyness, NO grainyness, NO interferance........show me an LCD which can do that!
Obviously SD tele is never gonna look as good as HD or DVD, never does and never will.

"LCD will out perform plasma on broadcast "
How can you work that out, lol, its all down to the built in tuner or external tuner...and as im aware Pioneer has one of the best digital tuners on the market.

"In my job i deal with this stuff and the sales guys pushing it. (in the trade its shiny kit syndrome or mines bigger than yours)."

Im suprised with that attitude u have a job....Hey....may as well get a new job with all this buying off the net malarky....also saves you the hassle of talking to noob's too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Agree there, can't wait to see all the ********* in the electrical retail trade go to the wall. Can't believe people still continue to buy expensive bits of kit from these jokers in the naive belief that they'll get some sort of customer service rather than buying off the net. Madness. Customer service hasn't existed in this country for a long time regardless of where you go.

AndyMac said:
Agree there, can't wait to see all the ********* in the electrical retail trade go to the wall. Can't believe people still continue to buy expensive bits of kit from these jokers in the naive belief that they'll get some sort of customer service rather than buying off the net. Madness. Customer service hasn't existed in this country for a long time regardless of where you go.

I agree almost entirely. Though I do believe there are some small retailers that offer genuine help and advice, though I suspect you'd need to pay for it.

robthehungrymonkey said:
I agree almost entirely. Though I do believe there are some small retailers that offer genuine help and advice, though I suspect you'd need to pay for it.

I agree, it's unfortunate that the most helpful retailers, i.e. the small independents, are also the more expensive.

Well take the good advice and shop online, cant loose!

bainsyboy said:
3d telly coming soon as well, suppossed to knock HDT on the head, Money money money thats all they want.

I have been playing with 3d screens at work for the last 18 months I have 2 21" models At 2K a pop from a company called X3D now opticality. The concept is good. The draw backs are a dark picture in normal mode and the inability to use the screen as a standard screen. However i know that they have improved it and that they now switch between 3d mode and standard mode. sharp are also doing something. but basically some one else is picking up the technology from opticality as they are mainly R&D. They are also looking at projection tectniques and large scale 3d. Ideal for theme park rides without the need for polorising lenses.

Interesting concept 3D TV in germany VOX broadcast some shows in 3D already. I have seen this on 40" and 50" LCD's as demos at opticality and you do get a feeling of depth. however the bigger the screen the better the depth perception.

IMAGINE THE PRON FILMS IN 3D, it will be like the old days with the mrs but obviously with much better birds, thats right baby doll IM YOUR DADDY