Wax + Polish

Scott_Hol

Reaction score
Hi People

Newbie looking for detailing advice. This sunday i will be claying my car with the below kit.

Elite "Spray and Clay" Kit (medium grade) - Elite Car Care

But I am stuck on what to do next. my cousin waxes then polishes his car using.

WAX
- Meguiars Professional Paste Wax #16 - 312g Elite Car Care

POLISH
- Autoglym Super Resin Polish - 500ml Elite Car Care

Currently i wash and shammy my car and then apply liquid gold polish.
LIQUID GOLD (5 Litres) from Autoday

Basically after i clay my paint i know that wax needs to be re applied. However my dad says that the liquid gold has wax in aswell as polish so would it be ok to just clay and then apply the liquid gold? or am i better off buying some wax aswell?

Thanks in advance

It all depends on what state your paint is in, and what standard of finish you want. Audi paint is very hard and requires relatively abrasive polish to remove light scratches, swirl marks etc. Hand polishing your car in order to remove some of these scratches could take you days, hence why most of the guys on here use either a DA or rotary polisher.

Super resin polish works by filling/hiding the scratches in your paint rather than removing them, and it contains little if any abrasives so its not going to make a huge impact on your paint. I've hand polished a few cars before but never an audi/volkswagen so im not sure which hand polishing products to recommend. I've used the meguiars 3 stage process cleaner, polish & wax with good results on renault paint so it might be worth a go.

In terms of wax, it depends on your budget. A good wax can set you back £50+. Autoglym HD wax can be bought on ebay for £25, its probably the best wax for the money.

PM polishedbliss on here, those guys no there stuff and will be able to give you some good advice!

But I am stuck on what to do next. my cousin waxes then polishes his car using.
hahaha wrong way round should be polish then wax otherwise your just going to take the wax off you just put on , meguiars stuff is good stuff liquid gold is very good stuff but for a real good shine get the 3 stage system they do , paint cleaner then polish then wax very good value for money in my opinion and easy to use too

Meguiars #16 is an amazing wax, don't be fooled by the price. It will compete with waxes that cost £50-£60 easily, its easy to use, gives great results and gives you around 5-6 months protection.

+1 for collinite too if you are looking for durability. It might not compete with the Megs on looks though, never used Megs stuff so can't comment really.

The only way to learn is to read loads, Polished Bliss have Guides at the top of the Detailing section and they provide a good read more importantly they contain some very good advice....so get reading.

Google is also your friend, but if it's worth anything keep your methods simple, don't overly complicate things with adding loads of different waxes, if autoglym SRP and Megs #16 are all you have then use those.

Let us know how you get on.

G

Read read read and then read a bit more. As mentioned your cousin has it completely the wrong way round, polish is for preparing the paint ready for wax/sealant.
If you are going to the trouble of claying it I'd go over it first with Tardis to get rid of the tar spots, then clay, polish, wax.
Detailing world has lot's of good advice, as do the polished bliss guides and the stickies at the top of this forum.

Cheers for the help fellas, still havnt gettin round to doing this though and was propbly mistaken by what my cousin said as he reads loads. Had a good read of polished bliss's website but i suppose im never going to learn if i dont try so ill post back when iv had a go. Does anybody else recommend using tardis before claying?

Cheers

Yes I always use tardis before claying,

i use auto gleam wax havent tryed anything else but this work fin for me more you use it beter car becomes i know people do it every so often but i do mine once aweek as i love my car and hate swirl marks and so on besides does not tale long to do