water under rear passenger mat

Ch3tan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a problem with water under the rear passenger floor mat on a 2011 a3. When I went to clean the interior today I noticed very slight damp on the rear of the mat when I removed it, the carpet underneath is damp to the touch.

I cannot see any water spots under the car, and I cant feel water anywhere else, so it doesn't seem to be working its way down from another place inside the car. Can anyone indicate why water would be seeping up into the carpets from the underside?

Many thanks,
Chet

I should also mention that the rear wiper wash was clogged up, I cleaned the jets out with a pin today and they work again. Could this be a result of them having been blocked for a couple of months?

Reactions: agentjay
If you've had a child he may have taken a leak there, just double check!

So just washed the car and it appears the dampness increased, however its not coming down from the roof lining, or from under the rear seats. It seems to just be directly under the carpet.

Is there any drainage that could be blocked that would route this way?

So I've done some more internet digging, and it seems this could be down to blocked drainage somewhere? Audi are phoning me back Monday to get this booked in, but does anyone have an idea of where I can check to see if drainage is blocked?

Cheers,
Chet

So Audi have the car to figure this out now, annoyingly though it's dry right now inside the car even after heavy rain. Still I got a 63 plate a5 sline tdi Quattro as a loan car while they have it ;-)

The rear speakers can weep water, sits on the step over when you open the door.Keep us informed please :D

It could be that the rear washer jet pipe has split. If you put the rear washer jets on for a period of time do you get more dampness in the footwell?

Reminds me of my old mk4 Gti Golf, used to have to park on a steep incline and scoop water out of the back driver side footwell with a pint glass, otherwise when I braked sharply a torrent of water would rush forward up around the pedals!! AAahhh student life... Keep us updated mate.

Any result from your visit to the dealers ? And what's the damage to your pocket so far ?

Hello mate do you have a panoramic roof by any chance?

I've got a damp patch in the O/S rear footwell and I'm wondering if the drain tube is blocked on that side.

Dealer is doing the work under warranty. They can't replicate the issue but are replacing the passenger door seal as a precaution. No charges.

So all the work was done for free, no more water sober the seal has been changed. Glad to have the car back, didn't enjoy the a5 as much.