1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Water Pump/Thermostat Failure

ksmudger Feb 2, 2020

1. ksmudger

ksmudger New Member

Today I took my 2016 Audi S1 with 13,000 miles to a service and was advised that the Water Pump/Thermostat Housing was leaking and needs replacement with some urgency. The repair cost was a whopping £900!

The car is only 3 months out of warranty.

I have noticed a small amount of coolant use whilst I have owned the car but thought this was just normal usage.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. ksmudger

ksmudger New Member

Further update to my Water Pump/Thermostat Housing failure. I was contacted by my local Audi dealer who offered me a “good will” gesture due to the low mileage, service history, and recent end of warranty. The replaced the faulty Water Pump/Thermostat Housing for under £300. I was very pleased with this outcome.

That said if any of you have an S1 under warranty and experience any loss of coolant suspect a failing Water Pump Housing and get it checked out.

4. VeeFource

VeeFource New Member

Cheers for the heads up. Were there any visible external signs of the leak?

5. iLikefishing

iLikefishing Member

I am guessing steam from the radiator grill

6. ksmudger

ksmudger New Member

The Only visible sign was a slight lowering of the coolant level, the leak could only be seen from under the car when on a ramp!

7. ksmudger

ksmudger New Member

Nope no signs of any steam that I saw.