Water pump failure

Simon Lowe

Reaction score
32k in and it’s leaking , replacing on Saturday at eye watering cost but will the same happen again or is the new pump liable to be redesigned?, never buying Audi again, only done 7k in it myself since January when I purchased it and I have been relieved of £1500 already , not happy

S3? It's a very common fault around that mileage and many, including me, have had it replaced under warranty or with goodwill.
There is a big thread on here about it already if you search

I’ve gone indi with CLP in Sheffield £550 , my local stealer Sytner Derby are not interested so Blx to them and Audi

32k in and it’s leaking , replacing on Saturday at eye watering cost but will the same happen again or is the new pump liable to be redesigned?, never buying Audi again, only done 7k in it myself since January when I purchased it and I have been relieved of £1500 already , not happy

Yes the thermostat housing has had multiple design revisions for greater reliability. Don’t know if the water pump itself has been revised but if the housing goes, it can lead to the pump failing too.

S3? It's a very common fault around that mileage and many, including me, have had it replaced under warranty or with goodwill.
There is a big thread on here about it already if you search

And the 1.8 too, as both are EA888 Gen 3

Yes the thermostat housing has had multiple design revisions for greater reliability. Don’t know if the water pump itself has been revised but if the housing goes, it can lead to the pump failing too.
I had thermostat housing changed last month when the car was in for service. The replacement leaked on test before they gave me the car back so the latest design probably not great.
Car dropped off Thursday morning and not ready for collection until the following Wednesday night.

Edit: Just checked this morning and the coolant level has dropped from max to half in 1000 miles so will see if that was trapped air or if it is still leaking.

Last edited: