Water / Methanol General Questions

Mario8P

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am planning to get myself a water/methanol kit. But I have a couple of questions I would like to clear up.

Plan is to run my washer fluid tank as 50% water 50% methanol reservoir. But I am not sure how safe is it to have the reservoir in the engine compartment. Plus how safe is it on paint, rubber, and plastic?

Would love to see what setups you guys are running.

Any help and input is highly appreciated. As this will be my first time ever running water / meth

I'm running an AEM kit, the pics from my install are here;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.726353170747851.1073741833.128335013883006&type=1

Why would you want to waste the methanol on cleaning your windscreen?

Exactly.

I also have an AEM kit.

The install is as below:

4L tank in the boot,at the right hand side.

Pump in the unused rear battery compartment.

Controller in the car where the ashtray would have been(N.B.the current controller is larger and will not fit there)

Reactions: Mario8P
I'm running an AEM kit, the pics from my install are here;

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.726353170747851.1073741833.128335013883006&type=1

Why would you want to waste the methanol on cleaning your windscreen?
Thanks Dean for the link!
Well I hardly use my washer fluid to be honest. Usually winter times here aren't that wet.

Plus I was planning to use the washer fluid tank to avoid having all the cables + pipes routed all the way to the trunk.

Can you guys hear the pump operating in the back?

Thanks Dean for the link!
Well I hardly use my washer fluid to be honest. Usually winter times here aren't that wet.

Plus I was planning to use the washer fluid tank to avoid having all the cables + pipes routed all the way to the trunk.

Can you guys hear the pump operating in the back?

Honestly,Mario,it isn't a big deal routing wires and piping.

As to hearing it operating,even with the rear seats out(as I've got mine in storage) you will not hear the pump operating.

Using the washer tank when there are better alternatives is a bit of a kludge.

Honestly,Mario,it isn't a big deal routing wires and piping.

As to hearing it operating,even with the rear seats out(as I've got mine in storage) you will not hear the pump operating.

Using the washer tank when there are better alternatives is a bit of a kludge.
Acknowledged Sir Alex

Guess I'll just scratch the idea off of my head and have it mounted in the trunk.

Now the question is how reliable is the AEM kit. And what is the advantages/disadvantages of running a progressive kit compared to a kit like the Aquamist HFS4 v3?

Acknowledged Sir Alex

Guess I'll just scratch the idea off of my head and have it mounted in the trunk.

Now the question is how reliable is the AEM kit. And what is the advantages/disadvantages of running a progressive kit compared to a kit like the Aquamist HFS4 v3?

LOL.!

It's been perfectly reliable since it was fitted around 3yrs ago.

The Aquamist system is a mapped,progressive system but differes from the AEM in that the progression with AEM is directly related to boost pressure,whereas the Aquamist system receives boost,and ECU inputs and tailors flow according to those.

This shows better than I could put it...

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/compare-4.gif

Much appreciated Alex! touch wood 3 years running!
You guys running the AEM kit only run 1 nozzle setup right?

Much appreciated Alex! touch wood 3 years running!
You guys running the AEM kit only run 1 nozzle setup right?

Yes...but the nozzle size has to be selected for flow Vs bhp.

Mine runs the biggest nozzle,starting at 0.5bar boost,and topping out at 2bar boost for maximum flow.

Nozzle is located near the intercooler at the end of the throttle pipe correct?

Nozzle is located near the intercooler at the end of the throttle pipe correct?

If you use the BSH throttle body pipe,it will be just below the MAP sensor.

If you use the BSH throttle body pipe,it will be just below the MAP sensor.
Ordered my CTS throttle pipe. It does include the lower bung

Not sure if 1 nozzle is enough to cool IAT and boost octane level. As you might already know our local fuel is ****.

Now to decide on a kit.

Either AEM V2 kit
Devilsown DVC-30 Stage 2 kit

Waiting for Aquamist quotation to see if it's way off in price

The DO kit offers nothing over the AEM kit,and fewer facilities,so the decision there would be on price.

One nozzle,according to bhp would be sufficient until you're into the 500bhp range,where you would need at least the largest,and possibly two smaller ones.

Would it be a good idea to run a small nozzle on a throttle body spacer to go with the nozzle of the throttle body?

Or should I just stick with 1 nozzle?

Would it be a good idea to run a small nozzle on a throttle body spacer to go with the nozzle of the throttle body?

Or should I just stick with 1 nozzle?

USRT make the spacers,and you can use them,but with a check valve to ensure you don't pull fluid through under vacuum.

I would stick with one nozzle at first,and see how you go before running two,and not knowing what's enough or too much.

USRT make the spacers,and you can use them,but with a check valve to ensure you don't pull fluid through under vacuum.

I would stick with one nozzle at first,and see how you go before running two,and not knowing what's enough or too much.
Cheers bro! I really don't know what I would have done/messed up without your knowledge lol.

Rick also suggested to stick with one.

Cheers bro! I really don't know what I would have done/messed up without your knowledge lol.

Rick also suggested to stick with one.

Thanks.....mine's only come from others with more knowledge than me,and personal experience....it's a lot better to use what you can from others rather than trial and error,and I've learnt so much from here and VAGOC.

Thanks.....mine's only come from others with more knowledge than me,and personal experience....it's a lot better to use what you can from others rather than trial and error,and I've learnt so much from here and VAGOC.
Alex is this the basic AEM kit # 30-3300 you recommend?

What check valve you use?

Thats the one....they do a solenoid valve for use with that kit to prevent syphoning.

I don't need one in my setup as the injector is below the TB.

Reactions: Mario8P and Doogie...
i'm also about to order a WMI kit for my car aswell although I will be going with the CTS Turbo/snow performance kit as it is on offer and you get the throttle pipe (with bung) for free on it.

in regards to tuning the engine for it... I'm going to run mine untuned to aid in cooling and octane boosting as I'd like to to get a failsafe device for it before I alter the timing as I don't fancy risking an engine re-build. But of course, tuning WMI for a car greatly increases its potential.

Also note, if you are going to boot/trunk install the reservoir, you need an additional solenoid to prevent gravity feed when the wmi is not in use or in low pressure.

I personally wouldn't recommend using the factory washer reservoir because if you have ever had the bumper off and examined the pipes, there is a lot of grit build up that could potentially seep into the mixture and then go through the engine. If you live anywhere like the uk, Road grime is a high possiblilty and collects in every nook and cranny on the car.

Reactions: S3Alex and Mario8P
Guy's, I have approx 15 liters of 99.9% methanol which I no longer require, collection only from Nottingham, offers?

Guys could you please recommend a decent tank to mount in a sportback trunk?

As I've decided to buy an Aquamist HFS4 v3 kit

That question applies to you too @alex

Jeez....you're at work as early as I am!

You can see from the pics I posted above that my tank is secured to the boot side panel with the 8 fixings provided by AEM,and so far,it's been very secure.

Jeez....you're at work as early as I am!

You can see from the pics I posted above that my tank is secured to the boot side panel with the 8 fixings provided by AEM,and so far,it's been very secure.

hahahaha I woke up early today as its raining like crazy here and was worried our factory might drown. But thank god there are no damage.

Thanks Alex guess a couple of bolts holding the tank to the trunk side liner is more than enough :)

Alex Aquamist sends 3 spray nozzles. Sizes are 0.8, 0.9, 1.0 do you think ill need a smaller one? or the 3 sizes are fine?

Reactions: S3Alex
I would think the set of nozzles should be fine,and start with the smallest,and work up from there.

Glad you're not submerged.....it's like a swamp here.

please forgive my ignorance but what is the methanol used for?

A combination of water and methanol in a 50/50 mix has the effect of reducing inlet temps due to latent heat of vaporisation of the mixture,and also raising the effective RON significantly.

Water alone will reduce the inlet temps,but methanol increases the RON,and the mix will also reduce EGTs.

Increasing the percentage of methanol over 50% doesn't reduce intake temps as effectively,and also may lead to issues with flammability in the storage tank,and pure methanol will effectively need to be seen as extra fuelling by the ECU.

So,especially with either high boost situations(such as big turbo applications),or those in which high EGTs are likely(i.e.small turbo run to it's limits) the benefits are pretty worthwhile.

A combination of water and methanol in a 50/50 mix has the effect of reducing inlet temps due to latent heat of vaporisation of the mixture,and also raising the effective RON significantly.

Water alone will reduce the inlet temps,but methanol increases the RON,and the mix will also reduce EGTs.

Increasing the percentage of methanol over 50% doesn't reduce intake temps as effectively,and also may lead to issues with flammability in the storage tank,and pure methanol will effectively need to be seen as extra fuelling by the ECU.

So,especially with either high boost situations(such as big turbo applications),or those in which high EGTs are likely(i.e.small turbo run to it's limits) the benefits are pretty worthwhile.

thank you for explaining.

is it similar to the old subarus where you could spray water on the intercooler? or is this mixture injected in addition to the fuel/air mixture?

thank you for explaining.

is it similar to the old subarus where you could spray water on the intercooler? or is this mixture injected in addition to the fuel/air mixture?

Totally different.

The old spray bar on the intercooler trick was to cool the I/c externally by spraying water over it and thus reducing temps.

These systems actually inject a water/meth mixture in the form of a very fine spray under presure into the inlet tract,resulting in the mixture being cooled,and the effective RON also being raised if using up to 50% methanol.

that appeals to the engineer in me *runs away to do some reading* lol

Wish me luck guys with the install

Hopefully all the bits and pieces should arrive in 7-10 days.

Alex did you route the water meth line from under the car?
You think there is a spot in the boot so I can route the lines next to the fuel lines?

Wish me luck guys with the install

Hopefully all the bits and pieces should arrive in 7-10 days.

Alex did you route the water meth line from under the car?
You think there is a spot in the boot so I can route the lines next to the fuel lines?

Good luck for sure,but I'm also sure you'll do a good job.

I would think you can route it beside the fuel lines,but I can't say where it was fed on mine,as I didn't do the work!

For all you guys running the water meth tank in the trunk side liner. Can you still access your spare tire? does the boot mat open and doesn't interfere with the water meth tank?

For all you guys running the water meth tank in the trunk side liner. Can you still access your spare tire? does the boot mat open and doesn't interfere with the water meth tank?

Hi mario

No probs with the spare although the boot liner has to be lifted slightly to the side to clear the tank.

Hi mario

No probs with the spare although the boot liner has to be lifted slightly to the side to clear the tank.
Chess m8

My kit should be here the day after tomorrow!

Will be looking forward to do my install