1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Water leaking in taillight. Lose taillight from body how to fix?

Olsun Mar 8, 2019

1. Olsun

Olsun New Member

Hey this is my second post of my car. I hope I can get help. It's A5 2.0t quattro 2011 model

My left taillight is a little loose the one that's connected to the car boot. It's lose from the top and when it rains water collects inside. Now there was a little water inside and has evaporated now. Don't know how to get inside the assembly and which tools I need to lose it from the boot. When water enters the small gap it goes into the assembly and finds it way into boot. So when I raise the boot water leaks out of the small light assembly that lights up inside the boot. And when I lower the boot water leaks out of the gap in the boot.

Now I know all this sounds weird I apologize my explaining english isn't my first language. I have pictures to explain better.

First picture is where the water leaks out of when I raise up the trunk all the way up. I try not do it avoid wetting my floor.

Secound picture with the white circle shows the gap and that's how water goes in. Pushing it upwards doesn't click it in place.

Yellow circle is where water has collected but later dried and evaporated

Help much appreciated on how to fix this [​IMG][​IMG]

Skickat från min H8266 via Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Olsun

Olsun New Member

Here's a short 30sec video also showing more water leaks. Sorry for bad camera handling and super bad English

https://streamable.com/4iag9

4. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Just pop the boot trim of & you'll have access to everything, then you can remove dry out & refix or replace.

5. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

MuPPeT_ON_TouR Well-Known Member Supercharged Sportback TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Silver Supporter Audi S5 quattro Black Edition OBD11 USER Deep Black Pearl DSG

The lights are a completely sealed unit. I don't think water is getting in through the light. I would be looking further up the tailgate for the source of the water ingress.

6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

They're actually heat sealed together, on some for instance 8P chassis, they do leak as I've had to repair some with topfix.

If there's water inside the lense then its definitely not sealed & I suspect as the lense isn't fitted well, this is letting water in via the fixing hole also.

7. Orange225

Orange225 Well-Known Member Team Brilliant Black quattro Audi A3

What NHN said. I’ve just had to do mine on my 8p today. Water in the light and shorting out the led light bar

8. Olsun

Olsun New Member

Thanks for all the reply everyone. I think my rear lights are sealed because all of the led lights brake light and turn signals still work. So no water inside them. The small lamp inside the boot is slightly lose. I'm no car expert so I Will try to tape it around. As for the rear taillight I don't have the tools to lose it from the body but I can access the inside and see it move around loosely. I think I need to tighten the bolt holding the taillight to secure it.

9. jezzy

jezzy Member

Are they upgraded tail lights? (RS5 NEONS)
    Mine leaked into the boot (yes I fitted upgraded neons)
    Fix was £1.50 door insulation tape.
    Took lights out and added insulation (one continues strip around the light) refitted (you can't see the strip) problem solved