Water leak under car

Ormesome

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Iv got quite a significant water leak under the car, directly in the middle of the 2 front wheels. Water level is fine & temp guage in the car is at normal level. Water doesn't seem to be coolant. Not lost any coolant so far. The fluid lost seems clear and my coolant is pink. Could it be window washer fluid? I topped the washer fluid to the max level yesterday, overflowing, so maybe it's sprouted a leak. Iv inspected under the bonnet as well as I can and I can't see any leaks at all.

My A3 is a 1.6tdi and I have no history of water pump change. I know these can sometimes go wrong.

Any help to put my mind at ease would be great.

Last edited:
Have you been running air con? The condensation from the cooling matrix often causes small puddles under the car....

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ormesome
Yes aircon on set at 19degrees as it's hot here. These are puddles, doesn't seem like condensation but after tasting the fluid it seems like water! Engine temp is fine, 90degrees.

Here is a pic of under the car.

Attachments

• IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 506
I'm still going to go with my initial thoughts of condenser moisture, particularity if it tastes of plain water.

Reactions: Ormesome and Audi Bairn
I'm still going to go with my initial thoughts of condenser moisture, particularity if it tastes of plain water.

Cheers mate. does this normally happen? i made 2 of those puddles in the space of 20mins when parked with the Aircon on. Seems excessive to me if it is moisture...

Totally normal.

Think about taking a cold beer bottle out of the fridge and the amount of condensation that appears on that after a minute or so.

Then think about how many liters of air are being blown past the evaporator every minute when you run air con and how much condensation there will be on that - and it has to run off somewhere.

Reactions: Matchman54 and Ormesome
Well at least you now know your a/c drain tubes aren't blocked otherwise all that would've pumped out under the front footwell carpets!!!. It's quite impressive how much moisture it can sometimes draw out of the incoming airflow.

Reactions: Ormesome
Looks normal to me, just condensation from the aircon.

If its belt driven water pump should be done every 4 years

As above, certianly the air con

Yes, it can sometimes seem a lot when you stop. Obviously particulary bad when the weather is humid as well.

Thanks for the replies. Defo put my mind at ease. It very worrying when seeing puddles under the car. Incredible that its just condensation, there was so much of it!

Reactions: richinsoton