Water leak A3 sportback 57 plate

Elmorfud

Reaction score
Anybody help, my sportback has started to leak water into boot, I am keeping goldfish in the spare wheel well, the passenger side back carpet is also sodden. I was suspecting the backlight cluster but not sure now. Any ideas before I go to the dealer? Cheers

Check the rear wash wipe.............pipe coming off and leaking water into the boot area is common issue on the VW and Audi car range.

have you changed a rear bulb recently? .... i had the same issue (not quite so much water), turns out previous owner had replace a bulb and not fitted the outer rear light unit correclty - the rubber gromets were missing (that 'sit' in the car body behind light unit). Causing water to run down the back of the light housing between the body and the light unit, into the rear quarter panel and make its way into the spare whell well. Fix was to remove light unit, lucky I found the missing rubber gromet and refit correclty, dry since.

As others have said the rear wash wipe pipe is a more common cause.

Good luck :sm4:

Thanks for that m8. I`ve had the car 18months and the light cluster hasn`t been out. I`ve taken it out to have a look, the gromits are in place but I`m pretty sure the lights are the culprit, but I have since discovered that the foam filling on the under side of the back seat is absolutely soaking. The water is clean so its coming from above.