Water ingress in the boot :( some help please

Sam reid

Reaction score
2016 01 22 080009
2016 01 22 080247

Right so I noticed about 3 inches of water in my spare wheel well the other day, cleaned it all out and dried it all out. Carpets are all dry so don't think it's the weather seal.

I started hosing the car down to track the leak, found it coming through that seam...it's not running down the side of that seam, just coming out of the seam. I'm assuming water must be pooling on the otherside.

Anyone got any ideas of where to start looking before I pull off the rear end? Cheers

View attachment 77745 View attachment 77746

Right so I noticed about 3 inches of water in my spare wheel well the other day, cleaned it all out and dried it all out. Carpets are all dry so don't think it's the weather seal.

I started hosing the car down to track the leak, found it coming through that seam...it's not running down the side of that seam, just coming out of the seam. I'm assuming water must be pooling on the otherside.

Anyone got any ideas of where to start looking before I pull off the rear end? Cheers
Try and check your rear light cluster black plastic that run down the edge of the boot. Mine was broken and let water into the other side of the 'seam'.

Reactions: Sam reid
I'm assuming you have an Avant, i had the same problem & cured it by first remove the gromit in the well & leave it out so air can get in, don't worry water won't get in there, secondly look at the pics & make sure the rubber flap in the water drain is up like mine, water gets across the rubber seal & goes down the joint between the two plastic sections behind the seal, i silicone'd these joints & all the way round the lower half of the inside of the rubber seal between the plastic sections inside, mines been dry ever since. I've highlighted the seam with arrows in the second pic, bit faint though.

I'm assuming you have an Avant, i had the same problem & cured it by first remove the gromit in the well & leave it out so air can get in, don't worry water won't get in there, secondly look at the pics & make sure the rubber flap in the water drain is up like mine, water gets across the rubber seal & goes down the joint between the two plastic sections behind the seal, i silicone'd these joints & all the way round the lower half of the inside of the rubber seal between the plastic sections inside, mines been dry ever since. I've highlighted the seam with arrows in the second pic, bit faint though.

Mine is a saloon so I'm not sure it's the same issue. Thanks anyway

I have found some cracks in the lower boot plinth so I'm going to investigate that some more tomorrow

For anyone who may come across this thread when searching for the same problem, I have attached pictures of the crack in the seem sealant and paintwork which was causing my leak

Attachments

• 20160124_123511.jpg
    20160124_123511.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 375
  • 20160124_123506.jpg
    20160124_123506.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 368
  • 20160124_123529.jpg
    20160124_123529.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 373