Water in the Rear Passenger footwell

jPwatts

Reaction score
Hi there,

There is a lot of water in the Rear passenger footwell of my A6 Avant (2003-2004 I think).

The rear windscreen wiper seems to have lost all water pressure. Could the water be leaking into hear?

has anybody else experienced this? or are the two issues not linked?

Thanks for your help

Plenty of posts on here relating the problem with leakage in the rear passenger footwell.

Water building up in the scuttle (under the bonnet, next to the battery) can leak through the pollen filter into the rear vents under the front passenger seat. This is what happened to mine.

However, I've also heard that a leaking washer hose can also cause a similar problem. Does the water smell like screen wash?

My money's on the pollen filter housing...

By the way, there are some fairly important electrics situated under the front passenger seat, so you want to get that dried out asap...

Let me know how you get on.

A.

On the avant there is a join in the pipe running from the washer bottle to the rear jet.

If you take off the left hand, nearside panel inside the boot it is tucked up under there.

The blocked water run offs under the battery and down into the front arches (under the scuttle panel) are also very common. Ive seen both problems on previous A6's of mine.

The fact that you have no pressure from the rear jet suggest the first, but before you do this check that the jet is not blocked before dismantling the boot.

the jet should just pull straight out with a little help from a pair of pliers. Try the rear washer without the jet fitted and if the pressure is OK, the jet may be blocked and the problem is leaves under the scuttle pan.

Either way its worth clearing out the scuttle pan anyway.

Simon

Just found the battery etc behind the scuttle on mine three quarters submerged in water!! I take it this is what is being referd to here, and there is a drain hole somewhere under the battery.