Water in footwell

lcfc-uk

Reaction score
Help please...
I have a 2006 a4 avant s line b7 and after a sudden downpour I have found water in the driver's side footwell.
I only noticed this when I drove the car to the shops and felt water dripping on my foot, anyone else experienced this and any fixes.
Cheers.

Dripping on your foot? As in it's dripping from under the dash?
Check in the scuttle under the bonnet where the battery sits, the bungs can choke and you can get quite a lot of water accumulating in there so it's possible working it's way through another grommet and down onto your foot.

Yes dripping through the dash area under the steering wheel, I've heard about the rubber bungs getting blocked but how many are in the engine bay and where is their locations?
Cheers.

4 in total, There are two open drains, one at either end of the scuttle in the inner wings. The other two are the ones that cause the main problems and are further inwards and should drain downwards through a rubber grommet with smaller holes in them, these choke. One is under the battery so you'll need to remove it to get to the grommet and the other is to the left close to the brake servo. I simply poked a screwdriver down them to knock the whole grommet out. If you let it go too long the water can work it's way into the ECU and wiring so it's important you keep the scuttle as free from water as possible.
I've circled the two central ones below although the battery tray has also been removed in the picture, you won't need to do that if you do as I have and just got rid of the whole grommet with a screwdriver or other poking device.

Ajax that is a massive help thanks.
I've checked under the battery just at a glance and there is some standing water there so your description of the problem sounds spot on, appreciate the advice pal thanks.

No probs mate, Its actually surprising how much water can be in there plus all the leaves and other crap that works it's way in there.

You do not need to remove the Battery to pull that grommet out. I have medium-large hands and managed to reach from the engine bay under the scuttle area and with a bit of tugging, pulled the whole grommet out cleanly. Even just pushing it upwards ever so slightly cleared a pretty puddle from the battery area.

Just trying to save you time here as I even had the toolkit out expecting a heavy battery lift out job so thought I'd give it a good going with my hand and worked perfectly. Didn't bother taking the other one out as this cleared everything. Bone dry since.

When you have sorted the leak, the footwell will need drying out. My solution was switch the aircon on and let that do the work, taken 2 months so far and the carpets still feels damp. Think I should have lifted the carpet for a while as the sound deadening holds a lot of water.

Portable dehumidifier would be the best to draw moisture out of the cabin, if you can lift the carpet and have it working, even better.

Failing that, a few big jars of rice would also be beneficial.