water in footwell, part 2

deejames

Reaction score
following on from my other thread regarding windows opening and wet foot wells i`m trying to trace the source of a leak, does anyone know if there is supposed to be a cover across the back of the engine bay were the battery is? The car is a 1998 A4 Avant 1.8 Photo 1

Not on cars before 1999, looks ok, do you have any standing water under the battery?

If you have water in the passenger side footwell it will probably be from the joint on the rear washer pipe.
Take the kick plate off at the bottom, below the glove box, you'll need to pull the door seal away a bit. You'll see the pipe which should just push back together.
If you're not getting water from the rear washer jet that's most likely the cause.

Not on cars before 1999, looks ok, do you have any standing water under the battery?

i`ve not had the battery out to look properly yet but it looks damp as apposed to soaking wet

If you have water in the passenger side footwell it will probably be from the joint on the rear washer pipe.
Take the kick plate off at the bottom, below the glove box, you'll need to pull the door seal away a bit. You'll see the pipe which should just push back together.
If you're not getting water from the rear washer jet that's most likely the cause.

cheers, i will check that - it was a lot of water though, after the big storms a couple of weeks ago i came out to find both front windows down so i suspect it might be a leak somewhere but i will still have a look

Drivers side rear behind the trim, it's tucked down below where the rear lights are, it controls Windows as well so be worth checking it's all dry down there

Drivers side rear behind the trim, it's tucked down below where the rear lights are, it controls Windows as well so be worth checking it's all dry down there

cheers for that i will check

First place to look has to be under the battery.

There are two drain holes, and they get clogged, which means that plenum area fills with water and overflows into the car.

First place to look has to be under the battery.

There are two drain holes, and they get clogged, which means that plenum area fills with water and overflows into the car.

Ah balls, I have a b6 too but didn't realise this also affected the b5. I just sorted my b6 plenum area, the battery was standing in about 4" of water :(

Also worth taking a look inside your ECU box. I found water and crap had been leaking under mine as the gasket had failed.
20140104_120801.jpg

Nasty!
20140104_124149.jpg

That's my concern with my b6. There's water in the drivers footwell, I'm hoping it was from the plenum chamber, but I suspect it may be from the ecu. Looks like it's in almost the same place on both the b5 and b6.

every audi I hve owned from 90 through B5 C5 has had this problem
irritating

leak through ECU hole
leak through pollen filter
leak through rear avant indicator seal (C5)
leak through upper window seal

useless!

thanks for the advice everyone, i will take the battery out and check all the other things mentioned as well

Ed, when you say leaking through the upper window seal, are you talking about windows, windscreen or rear screen?

Check where the cabin filter is situated ...there should be a plastic water drainage piece situated under the window and above the cabin filter housing... Mine was broke and leaking water directly into the fan behind the glove box! Good luck

Reactions: deejames
I would checl the seal around the pollen filter as some people can be a bit rough when replacing it and the seal goes.

Reactions: deejames
My leak was from the pollen filter housing. I dried the seal out. Silicone it into its slot and smeared sealer around the face . As I had previously cleaned the mounting face I just glued it back on