Watches

Karl

for history on Heuer check here

TAG Heuer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are several really good Heuer sites namely On the Dash & Heuerville where Stewart does some stunning pics.

I see you are in Southport which is not far from me but also the home of Mike Wood who is the most knowledgeable Rolex guru in the UK

Its a minefield out there so if anyone wants any Heuer answers please fire away

audisport.jpg

well, been looking at a lot of watches this weekend!
mightily flabbergasted by some breitling watches, ****** ugly and vulger things, but still impressive all the same.

mightily flabbergasted by some breitling watches, ****** ugly and vulger things, but still impressive all the same.
Amen to that Karl
My watch tells the time..happy with that.

You need to find a friend who works at Earnest Jones or similar and get 30% off!

My Omega Speedmaster was £1575, but I paid just under £1200 with 5yrs insurance(+10% value of the watch).

Or buy mint second hand, and take depreciation out of the equation. There's loads of reputable dealers out there. This thread has had me scouring the web for bargains. I could spend so much.

My small collection by the side of the bed, I wear a different one each day, the battery is flat on one and the other one showing the incorrect time is automatic and has run down.

Watches.jpg

Left to right, Seiko Chrono titanium, Sekonda GMT, Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, Sekonda Chrono and and old Zeitner Chrono

Ahh a PO Chrono. I have the exact same one. large @ 45.5mm but not too bad if you have big hands ..

As for getting a deal. You will always get an immediate 25% off in most shops on most models. Haggle hard...

Rolex is the sticky wicket, hardly any AD,s offer discount although it can be had. As has been mentioned the secondhand market is strong but some nice deals to be had if you know what you are after

Dont get shafted with fakes on Ebay, loads of them about so be careful.

I do like the planet ocean but I think in the future if I ever get a watch like it again I won't go for automatic.

​Omega Planet Ocean black bezel. My one and only, so of course it's my favourite.​

Just seen this thread! Hopefully I should have a new purchase to post up by the weekend!

My navitimer just back from breitling in the summer with new strap and clasp, now back on bracelet for a change.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355261346563.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355261346563.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 357
Just saw this thread and thought I might post a query while I'm here too.

2f30c7531c7b3edccab569104fc7b6991c34e3ef.jpg

I never used to wear watches growing up, but come my 16th birthday my sister bought me my first watch. The Casio G-Shock G-541D as per the image above. 6 years and 6 months on, it still sits around my wrist as I type. Perhaps not in the same condition it was brand new but it works nevertheless. I had the battery changed in the watch about 2 months ago (died on me after 6 years) in some hardware store in Leicester. It took them 2 days (very unusual I suspect) and they charged me £5 so I went along with it. Anyway, since then the clasp pin keeps popping out when you go to remove the watch and it just sort of falls apart from the link. I used this opportunity to look into getting a new watch.

AR1414-1.jpg

I ended up buying an Emporio Armani AR1414 as pictured above as I was looking for something stylish and mechanical (to do with my personality and interests). I understand its more of a "fashionpiece" than a timepiece, but I really like it and looking at the prices of the equivalent Swiss watch I knew I didn't have much of a choice. Some of you may already recognise it is an automatic watch. Never owned an automatic watch so you can probably where this is going...

I only wore it on weekends or when going out as I had my G-Shock on during the week for work etc. So I left it in the box for two days and yes it stopped. At that time I didn't quite realise that you could use the crown to wind the spring back up to get the mechanism operating once again. So I just simply wore it and let the rotor spin up to get the mechanicals going again (probably where I went wrong). Eventually I noticed a faint rattling noise coming from the watch and my brother eventually told me about the crown I was supposed to use to keep it going. Now from what it appears, the rotor is stuck and has disengaged (come out of place) from the mechanism. However the watch still operates and remains accurate so long as the crown is wound every other day (which I do now anyway).

Here is a picture of the rear of the watch where you can see the rotor I speak of:

360663d1327326202-armani-ar1414-keramik-hangzhou-2189-mit-21-600-bph-20120107_145731.jpg

I'm heading down to London this weekend and notice there is "The Watch Surgery" (anybody had experience with them?) in London Westfield. I'm thinking of taking it there and perhaps they could reattach the rotor and re-lubricate the mechanism (any idea how much this should cost?).

Any advice is welcome and also if there's anything more I should know about general care and maintenance of automatic watches please feel free to comment.

Thanks, Azeem.

My favourite and most worn watch is my Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355354669279622
but I also like my work watch a Nite MX20T (military only). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355354784772758

Woohoo! Finally got my new watch today!

An Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean,
Got it from Goldsmiths and it was in the window priced at £3950... After a hell of a lot of haggling I managed to get the price down to a nice round figure of £3000 dead!
Goes to show that if you don't ask you don't get!

Anyways here's a couple of quick iPhone pics

9119EBB6-5C0A-4FD1-BD3F-8A1AED75A3D3-2971-0000011BDAFE7EEB.jpg

B77AE6FC-9450-4944-B370-9AA9B3805ED0-2971-0000011BD6978108.jpg

Reactions: voorhees
If you don't mind me asking what work was carried out and what age is your watch mate?

I have a Bench watch, cost me £35. Tells the time perfectly.

I once had a Breitling fake, best watch ever, lasted 6 years before I lost it and didn't lose the time at all, £40. :)

If you don't mind me asking what work was carried out and what age is your watch mate?

I have had it since 2002. Never had is serviced since I bought it for £ 1600. Now in beaverbrooks window for £ 2850 and apparanetly Omega dont make this model any more hence it going up in value.

I dont wear it every day but wear it often enough as I have a couple of other watches. Citizen skyhawk being the one I wear the most. However it started loosing a couple of minutes every week so decided to get it looked at.

For the £ 440 quid it is a major service where they take it all apart. They sent it back with a bag of bits they replaced like new hands, buttons, O rings and the odd cog. Just like a car really and to keep it in prime condition it needs an overhaul every now and then. Probably cheaper to service the Audi though ! Having said that the watch did come back looking like it had never been worn unlike my car !

Pics enclosed.

FBF67227-BE4F-4D91-9A88-2C20F6E751C2-12363-0000092AEF9B7EEC.jpg

Prior to being serviced. The orange tips on the hands were faded.
9bf5f376.jpg

Came back like new - well pleased especially with the strap as they ultrasonically clean it all and remove my dead skin URGH !
2248B579-EC9E-4AD0-A5E8-70B666CA6996-12363-0000092B06579115.jpg

Ah so you did have a fair bit of work done then. I do love that watch my mate has the same, it's come up really well too!

Great tread, it's got me searching the web for a Omega Speedmaster.