Wastegate Noise

RSt3ve

Reaction score
I think I've heard or read that supposedly Audi coded out some of the wastegate chatter, not sure if it was on here or youtube.

Happy to say that this may not be true as I heard it today for the first time with Windows down. Sounds pretty cool and brought a childish grin to my face.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Terminator x and Daggerit
I think I've heard or read that supposedly Audi coded out some of the wastegate chatter, not sure if it was on here or youtube.

Happy to say that this may not be true as I heard it today for the first time with Windows down. Sounds pretty cool and brought a childish grin to my face.

The cold start rattle has gone, this was only for the 1st 30 secs from cold though.

When I remapped my 8V it was one of the first things I set about changing, raised the temp limit for the cat heat cycle to engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit…. You are referring to the 1800-2200 rpm ‘rattle’ then I think.

Also removed this on my 8V too as it becomes a lot more pronounced after a remap and worse still after a decat.

Edit…. You are referring to the 1800-2200 rpm ‘rattle’ then I think.

Also removed this on my 8V too as it becomes a lot more pronounced after a remap and worse still after a decat.

The noise is triggered by loading up the throttle in a higher gear and then lifting off causing a build up of pressure. It's fast n furious sounding stuff. I've only heard it on Matt Watsons first review and then Hamza post intake installation.

Reactions: 8YARWY
The noise is triggered by loading up the throttle in a higher gear and then lifting off causing a build up of pressure. It's fast n furious sounding stuff. I've only heard it on Matt Watsons first review and then Hamza post intake installation.

Ah yes I know the sound, the new car also whistles from the turbo quite a bit when loading it up.

Reactions: RSt3ve
turbo flutter. Yeah I've heard it too, if you load the car up in 2nd and go to third and let off you hear it.

Also had some really nasty pops from the exhaust mid-mode change.

Yea it was me. I had my car de-catted and it’s removed. One you don’t hear it, and 2, the tuner confirmed it’s been removed and coded out by Audi

38D8B952 3E95 4D31 B39F 68A6E001F87E

Yea it was me. I had my car de-catted and it’s removed. One you don’t hear it, and 2, the tuner confirmed it’s been removed and coded out by Audi
How strange, you can't hear it in the cabin but with window down in a built up area it's quite loud. I wonder if my car escaped the coding out police being an early one.

How strange, you can't hear it in the cabin but with window down in a built up area it's quite loud. I wonder if my car escaped the coding out police being an early one.
You're getting mixed up with waste gate rattle and turbo flutter/chatter.

The wastegate rattle that was mapped/coded out by Audi affected decatted cars where there was an awful rattle on a cold start to the point the car sounded broken. What you're speaking about hearing is the turbo chatter and are separate things.

This is wastegate rattle.

Reactions: billymc92 and RSt3ve
turbo flutter. Yeah I've heard it too, if you load the car up in 2nd and go to third and let off you hear it.

Also had some really nasty pops from the exhaust mid-mode change.
Yeah, the exhaust is coming to life a bit now. My mate recorded me leaving hers the other day, I was actually a bit shocked how loud it sounded. It may sound quiet in the cabin, but outside under load it sounds good IMO. Too much insulation in the bodywork!

You're getting mixed up with waste gate rattle and turbo flutter/chatter.

The wastegate rattle that was mapped/coded out by Audi affected decatted cars where there was an awful rattle on a cold start to the point the car sounded broken. What you're speaking about hearing is the turbo chatter and are separate things.

This is wastegate rattle.
Ah, makes sense, sorry, I'm showing my ignorance of turbo'd cars!

No worries at all! - The noise you're hearing is the turbo at full chat and then when you come off the power all the build up has no where to go and that's why you get the noise :)

You can hear it in some you tube videos of the car exterior.
Same with the whistle from the Turbo.