Washing the New A3

ChriSTi

Reaction score
Hi all, I along with many others of the group is a proud owner of a new A3 Sportback.
Basically I was just after some info of a "good old wash and polish", I did receive the Autoglym pack from the Audi dealer which I haven't used yet, but I really want to look after this car and wondered if you could give me some ideas of the best way to do things and get some good results.

I've heard some of you guys talking about Maguiars this and Maguairs that and also Clay bar ???, I've also heard about a Snow foam lance ???, could someone give me a few ideas of where to start, obviously wash the car first then leather off etc etc, but what steps do you guys take, I've also heard some leathers can scratch so do I need a synthetic one ???. I'm also unsure of what type of cloth to get for polishing :-(

If someone could give me a rough step by step guide that would be great
Many thanks to you all.

1. Wash car
2.leather off
etc etc

Glacier white BTW

Chris :)

Last edited:
Hi Chris, it's Mark. Get yourself a good quality drying towel rather than a leather, you can also look at Dodo Juice, Angelwax or Chemical Guys products for good quality waxes and sealants.

If you have a pressure washer get a snow foam lance and a good solution, it works wonders!
And definitely get a clay bar don't get a rubbish one get one for around £10 of eBay and watch YouTube tutorials on how to clay your car. I think you can get a a starter pack on eBay which includes a bottle of solution, clay bar and microfiber cloth.
YouTube will give you some very good tutorials on how to use them both :)

There's also a website I buy from most months called WaxyBox if you Google that mate, basically it's a box which includes a bit of really good and expensive cleaning products for £15 except you get a lot so you can clean your car more than once with the box. Usually it RRP's for above £50 a box. The brands in the box are a surprise until delivery too but are all known and trusted brands. I had a discount code from my old Corsa D forums that I used ill try and find it again for you :)

Edit: the code is corsaduk

Last edited:
Just as a guide (in my opinion)

Regular Wash:

Basics needed:
Pressure washer, 2 buckets, 2 grit guards, 2 wash mitts (1 for car, 1 for alloys), large microfiber drying towel,
car shampoo e.g. Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax.

Routine:

Jet Wash
Wash - 2 Buckets, with grit guards(1 with soap, other to rinse wash mitt after every body panel is cleaned)
Jet Wash (rinse)
Dry - Drying towel

Full clean:
Extra needed:
Polish/Wax Applicator pads, couple of microfiber polishing clothes
Claybar, Quick Detailer spray (lubrication), Polish, Wax

Routine:

Jet Wash
Wash - 2 Buckets, with grit guards(1 with soap, other to rinse wash mitt after every body panel is cleaned)
Jet Wash (rinse)
claybar - make sure car is lubricated while using claybar
Jet Wash (rinse)
Dry - Drying towel
Polish - Apply with applicator, buff off with microfiber cloths
Wax - Apply with applicator, buff off with microfiber cloths, 2 thin coats will usually do

You can add things on like window cleaning, plastic cleaner, alloy cleaners, tyre gel, snow foam, etc
List is endless
options are endless

a lot on this forum to read and learn, you will get an idea of what to do.
As for products its up to you, Autoglym and Meguiars are the big names and most of there range is good.

Chris,

I asked a similar question to the guys at Polished Bliss, for a new, White A3 and got the following. It may be useful for a shopping list :)

. I have included the products that we would personally use to wash, decontaminate and protect them...

Stage 1 - Wash (to remove loose dirt and grime - aim to do this every 1-2 weeks)

Wash the exterior routinely in line with the advice provided in this online guide - Safe Washing And Drying | Car Care Advice | Polished Bliss - using the following products...

2 x PB Clear Wash Bucket | Practical Translucent Car Wash Bucket
1 x PB Advanced Wash Kit | Comprehensive Car Wash Kit (choosing the Lather shampoo option)

(don't bother drying off if you are going to perform stage 2 next)

Stage 2 - Decontaminate (to remove bonded contamination - aim to do this 1-2 times a year)

Decontaminate the bodywork, wheels and glass in line with the advice provided in this online guide - Decontaminating Paint | Car Care Advice | Polished Bliss - using the following products...

1 x Autosmart Tardis | Professional Strength Tar & Honeydew Remover (do this step before claying and rinse thoroughly)
3 x Atomiza Microfibre Work Towel | Entry Level Microfibre Cleaning Towel
1 x Auto Finesse Iron Out | Intensive Iron Contaminant Remover (see info tabs for description and usage instructions)
1 x Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit | Basic Claying Kit For Detailing Novices (rinse thoroughly afterwards and then dry off)

Stage 3 - Protect (to enhance the gloss and lock in the shine; always do this after decontaminating, and add a fresh coat of the Tough Coat sealant every 2-3 months)

Given the colour of your cars, I would personally choose a synthetic sealant as opposed to a wax, simply because the finish will be sharper and more reflective, and more durable too. The product of choice for bright white finishes is the Auto Finesse Tough Kit; this has really moved the game on in terms of durability (4+ months per full system application), is ridiculously easy to apply and buff off, and leaves a truly stunning high gloss finish that looks amazing...

1 x Auto Finesse Tough Kit | Brilliant Synthetic Car Paint Protection Kit (watch the demo video on the video tab to see what it looks like on my white C30)

Other Exterior Products (use routinely as and when needed) (see links for details, how to use instructions and related products for applicators/towels)

Alloy Wheel Protection - Auto Finesse Mint Rims | Heat-Resistant Synthetic Wheel Sealant (3-4 months of protection per coat)
Durable Tyre Dressing - Blackfire Total Eclipse Tyre Gel | Premium Water-Based Tyre Dressing Gel
Potent Glass Cleaner - Auto Finesse Crystal | Premixed Ready To Use Glass Cleaner (also perfect for interior use)
Exhaust Tips Polish - Auto Finesse Mercury | Moderate Strength Cutting Polish For Metals (if required, depending on nature of tips on car)

Reactions: TDI-line and buttons89
get the wersktat kit minus the microfibre stuff that PB do with the shampoo its maybe dearer than the AF stuff but it leagues ahead, I used this on a plain white peugot partner for 6 months provides protection looked good and its dam easy to use i now use it on my black audi.
tardis only comes in 5L sizes not ideal for the average user but with a white car it will be worth it. search for a local AS rep there will be one near you, you will find some other good stuff there G101, tango & finish you should also if luck get the tardis cheaper than online.
the rest of the above list hmmm sales list as the poster pointed out
Carpro IronX all the way and i wouldnt take any of the AF stuff, bigger buckets as well with grit guards.

Reactions: TDI-line and First Ever Audi
****** hell guys that's brilliant thank you, I'm a bit worried about taking the step of a snow foam lance as I'm not sure whether my Karcher is a K series.

Its a mine field lol, I've been googling this, Ebaying that, can you put polish on with a Micro fibre cloth ???

Last edited:
Reactions: First Ever Audi
I'd be more keen to go for a glaze than a polish to start with. Audi is hard paint and can be hard to get good results by hand. Personally using Poorboys White Diamond Glaze then Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax on my Ibis White A3. Using microfibre applicator pad for the glaze and a foam one for the wax, both buffed with good quality microfibre towels.

Reactions: First Ever Audi
Never used them on Glacier White but both are recommended for light colours so I don't see why not! As Polished Bliss said to you, a sealant could be a better option, I'm looking into this too but will use up some of the products I have first. May be worth looking at the Werkstat Acrylic kit.

Just as a guide (in my opinion)

Regular Wash:

Basics needed:
Pressure washer, 2 buckets, 2 grit guards, 2 wash mitts (1 for car, 1 for alloys), large microfiber drying towel,
car shampoo e.g. Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax.

Routine:

Jet Wash
Jet Wash (rinse)
Dry - Drying towel

Full clean:
Extra needed:
Polish/Wax Applicator pads, couple of microfiber polishing clothes
Claybar, Quick Detailer spray (lubrication), Polish, Wax

Routine:

Jet Wash
Jet Wash (rinse)
claybar - make sure car is lubricated while using claybar
Jet Wash (rinse)
Dry - Drying towel
Polish - Apply with applicator, buff off with microfiber cloths
Wax - Apply with applicator, buff off with microfiber cloths, 2 thin coats will usually do

You can add things on like window cleaning, plastic cleaner, alloy cleaners, tyre gel, snow foam, etc
List is endless
options are endless

a lot on this forum to read and learn, you will get an idea of what to do.
As for products its up to you, Autoglym and Meguiars are the big names and most of there range is good.

Thanks J8TTX, when you say lubricated before claying, if I've dried it off ( the car) with a microfiber Towel do I then re-wet it before the claying, or did you mean wet the clay before putting on ???

The clay should be lubricated with plenty of, ideally, clay lubricant or failing that quick detailer so it slides easily over the paintwork. Dry clay will stick to the surface and can cause marrying and possibly even damage your lacquer

Brodster was doing a great detailing starter kit on here not that long ago comes with almost every thing you need to get started and the products are all top class.

This wash procedure should see you all right.

1. Snow Foam or citrus pre wash
2. Rinse
3.Bug and tar Remover, fall out remover, bilberry wheels and agitate.
4.Rinse
5. Wash with Shampoo 2bm
6.Rinse
7. Dry with Micro fibre Towel
8. Clay Bar with lube
9. Wash (repeat step5&6) to remove clay lube
8. Dry same as step 7
9. Polish or glaze
10. Wax
11. Tyre Shine
12. Metal Polish for Exhaust
13. Clean glass

If just doing a maintenance wash then just do steps 1-7 and topup with QED over the body and then do 11-12.

I swear theres no need to wash and dry after clayying? Or is that just for your peace of mind? You polish it after clayying anyway so no need to wash/rinse again as the residue should be taken off from the micro fibre cloth with a simple wipe

It depends on what you use a lube as to whether or not you need to re-wash after claying.

I used bilt hamber
http://www.bilthamber.com/clay-bars
And all you need for lube is water so normally clay straight after washing then you can just rinse after claying but now using 3M clay so use a soapy lube so need to wash after it to remove the soapy residue.

Just adjust you cleaning methods to suit your products.

Reactions: Big Pumpa
I'm using Maguiars Quick Clay with Detailing lubricant and usually just wipe away then polish with Poor Boys BH

Ok update, I didn't clay bar the Audi as I "you tubed" it and found I didn't need to as the car is only a week old, but I did clay bar the wife's Renault Megane and boy what a difference, the car was washed in town only an hour before so after a quick cuppa I set about the Megane. Wow its brilliant, and the Maguiars microfiber cloths and other stuff (Maguiars) I bought from Halfords is amazing, her car looks like new. I didn't wash the car after clay barring, just wiped it off then went on to polish it with a resin wax...As for the Audi, it just got washed, and dried with a Maguiars drying towel, absolutely brilliant, I'll never use a chamois leather EVER again lol, oh and the sheepskin wool mitt did a good job too. Very happy :)

Ok update, I didn't clay bar the Audi as I "you tubed" it and found I didn't need to as the car is only a week old, but I did clay bar the wife's Renault Megane and boy what a difference, the car was washed in town only an hour before so after a quick cuppa I set about the Megane. Wow its brilliant, and the Maguiars microfiber cloths and other stuff (Maguiars) I bought from Halfords is amazing, her car looks like new. I didn't wash the car after clay barring, just wiped it off then went on to polish it with a resin wax...As for the Audi, it just got washed, and dried with a Maguiars drying towel, absolutely brilliant, I'll never use a chamois leather EVER again lol, oh and the sheepskin wool mitt did a good job too. Very happy :)

This is just the start!! lol

This is just the start!! lol

lol, I'm out there again :-( Not too impressed with the Maguiars tyre gel as its sprayed all the wheel arches and down the side of the car (not a good look on glacier white) and it was left overnight on the drive before being driven to work, I thought it would have dried by now, oh well of out again with the cloths and stuff :-(

lol, I'm out there again :-( Not too impressed with the Maguiars tyre gel as its sprayed all the wheel arches and down the side of the car (not a good look on glacier white) and it was left overnight on the drive before being driven to work, I thought it would have dried by now, oh well of out again with the cloths and stuff :-(

Keep tires and trip looking like new forever with gel! An ultra wet shine extended gel- tire, trim & Bumper gel is a premium gel dressing that does shines up like no other yet is non greasy and lasts months not days. An ultra wet shine extended gel- I would recommend Chemical guys for tyre gel. also good for plastic trim etc too. Just squeeze some onto an old sponge and wipe it on.

If you have a pressure washer get a snow foam lance and a good solution, it works wonders!
And definitely get a clay bar don't get a rubbish one get one for around £10 of eBay and watch YouTube tutorials on how to clay your car. I think you can get a a starter pack on eBay which includes a bottle of solution, clay bar and microfiber cloth.
YouTube will give you some very good tutorials on how to use them both :)

There's also a website I buy from most months called WaxyBox if you Google that mate, basically it's a box which includes a bit of really good and expensive cleaning products for £15 except you get a lot so you can clean your car more than once with the box. Usually it RRP's for above £50 a box. The brands in the box are a surprise until delivery too but are all known and trusted brands. I had a discount code from my old Corsa D forums that I used ill try and find it again for you :)

Edit: the code is corsaduk

Just ordered a 3 month supply from these guys. Your code worked :thumbup:

Look forward to the mystery. :D

Brodster was doing a great detailing starter kit on here not that long ago comes with almost every thing you need to get started and the products are all top class.

This wash procedure should see you all right.

1. Snow Foam or citrus pre wash
2. Rinse
3.Bug and tar Remover, fall out remover, bilberry wheels and agitate.
4.Rinse
5. Wash with Shampoo 2bm
6.Rinse
7. Dry with Micro fibre Towel
8. Clay Bar with lube
9. Wash (repeat step5&6) to remove clay lube
8. Dry same as step 7
9. Polish or glaze
10. Wax
11. Tyre Shine
12. Metal Polish for Exhaust
13. Clean glass

If just doing a maintenance wash then just do steps 1-7 and topup with QED over the body and then do 11-12.

Would leave out step 3 for maintenance. These products are normally quite aggressive and would strip off the each sealant.

I have heard good reviews of the Werksatt kit for white cars.

I personally use 3 buckets and 3 mitts. 2 buckets as mentioned here, with one mitt for the top half of the car and the 2nd for the bottom. Then separate bucket and mitt for the wheels.

Also tend to use a couple of microfibre towels for drying, as 1 normally becomes too wet.

Would leave out step 3 for maintenance. These products are normally quite aggressive and would strip off the each sealant.

The products from angel wax that I use in step 3 are lsp safe so you can you them every wash with out removing any protection you have put on your car.

The products from angel wax that I use in step 3 are lsp safe so you can you them every wash with out removing any protection you have put on your car.

Fair enough.....most aren't though :)

Reactions: shariain
Give Brodster a pm and try angel wax products for yourself. You will be surprised at how good they work. I had been using meguiars, valet pro and auto finesse products for sometime and after seeing the results and difference in cost from the angel wax products, well it speaks for itself.

null_zps4827c67d.jpg
wearing guardian wax

null_zpsaeda869a.jpg
wearing desirable wax

null_zps875b56e5.jpg
null_zps6ab24850.jpg
wearing halo synthetic paste wax

null_zps13e37594.jpg
cleaned using revelation and bilberry.

Thanks guys I really appreciate all this :), just one last stupid question, after I've done all this work and its all polished etc etc, what should I put on the car to seal it all, I've seen a few comments about wax, but what sort should I get, Maguiars, Auto Glym ??? I'm hopefully getting the Werkstatt kit for Christmas, but what can I buy in the mean time, I'd like to get it sealed before winter comes ???

Glacier white btw

Chris

There are lots of lsp you can use after you have polished your car you could go down the sealant route with the likes of jetseal 109 or use a wax. Or if you really want you could use a sealant then wax on top of that for the extra protection.

2C46FA98-F62A-4096-90D1-5BCB5A092114-2376-0000025788E4EE3F_zps87656caf.jpg

Reactions: RobbieWebs
There are lots of lsp you can use after you have polished your car you could go down the sealant route with the likes of jetseal 109 or use a wax. Or if you really want you could use a sealant then wax on top of that for the extra protection.

2C46FA98-F62A-4096-90D1-5BCB5A092114-2376-0000025788E4EE3F_zps87656caf.jpg

That's a great chart for a guide m8 :)

Reactions: shariain
Most recommendations for light cars is a sealant. My glacier white A4 was protected with a ceramic sealant, but I also put on 2 layers of Autoglym HD (free from dealer) on top.

The Werkstat sealant gets good reviews and would be one of my choices for some protection. No issue in then putting a wax over the top. Correctly applied and car correctly cared for could give around 6 months of protection. You'll find that it also makes washing easier!

Don't bother with clay as you'll most likely damage the paint. Iron x and tardis will give the same effect

Well I thought using the fine grade clay and lube was a safe way to start claying with no risk of damaging paint :)

Well I thought using the fine grade clay and lube was a safe way to start claying with no risk of damaging paint :)
as far as im aware it is, the megurs quick clay kit is the one thats usually reccomended on here, they say the car needs to be clayed if you run your fingers over the paint and its not entirely smooth, i know my roof and bonnet need doing, everywhere else isnt too bad i dont think!

Tbh once u get going u might as well clay the whole thing as it doesn't take long.
U soon know if there is any imperfections when u run the clay over it :)

I love doing my car... polished up sprint blue is awesome!

The only thing is, I need to it almost every weekend to keep it looking tip top... see a few of you guys talking about sealants? I take it, this keeps the shine a lot longer....

I love doing my car so usually dont mind, but the winter is rapidly approaching and need to find a better longer lasting effect...ideas?