Washing after the volcano ash

Shez

Sheridan
Reaction score
Gents,

My neighbour pointed out to me in the paper yesterday that the experts? (Turtle Wax and Autoglym, no Polish Bliss in my eyes) were recommending you not to wash your car this weekend due to the ash from the volcano. They gave a number of options if you did want to wash your car but wanted to gauge some opinion from the experts on here. The ash is obviously like tiny pieces of rock and if they get in the wash process will cause a great deal of damage to your car, similar to rubbing sand paper over the paintwork.

So what would the experts recommend? I currently rinse with pressure washer then snow foam, rinse off and wash using the two bucket method with a lambs wool mitt. Dry with a waffle weave towel and protect with Werkstat trigger and Glos or just Glos, depending the weeks as trigger is only applied every 6-8 weeks. Using Werkstat Prime when it comes to getting the polish out.

I live in Sussex if that has anything to do with where the ash cloud is depositing its contents.

Thanks for your assistance.

Shez

If we are not allowed to wash our cars, we all better hide our cars from the RAIN!!!

As long as you give it a thourogh rinse first (which it aperes you do) you will be fine matey. Seriously its just folk devils and moral panics!!!
Stuff like this sells papers!!

Good luck
Stacey

Yeah people will scare monger, just rinse it off at low pressure, open ended hose would be great, then snow foam, you won't go wrong. Washed mine this weekend and its fine.

So what would the experts recommend? I currently rinse with pressure washer then snow foam, rinse off and wash using the two bucket method with a lambs wool mitt. Dry with a waffle weave towel and protect with Werkstat trigger and Glos or just Glos, depending the weeks as trigger is only applied every 6-8 weeks.

Everything you are doing already will be completely safe, the only thing I would add is to spend a little bit longer rinsing with the pressure washer before the two bucket wash and you won't have any problems :icon_thumright:

Washed mine this weekend, lots of hosing before i started and took time to make sure it was well and truly done. Sadly its covered again the next morning, so in the garage tonight lol

or leave it on so it hardens and still won't remove next weekend :slap:

As long as your car is properly protected a decent rincse before starting out will do it. Scare mongers !!!

My car is a filthy hoe bag at the mo! Wanted to wash it this weekend but just didnt get time, will have to wait till next weekend now :crying:

Plus its covered in greasy hand prints from its Free Audi MOT this week! Grrrrr

Your wash method is spot on, so don't listen to the papers/"experts".

mate as said give a good rinse and dont listen to the news,i think they are blowing the whole ash thing out of proportion

We'd been away for the week of the Ash-Crisis (lol) but we came back to out WHITE X6, which had been on the drive outside, looking very, erm ... ashen and grey. My Mrs (fool) wiped her finger across it to which I shhouted, "Jesus, there's minute rocks in that." She didn't get the point, anyway.

I jet-washed but kinda at an angle flush to the bodywork as opposed to a more direct angle. Maybe I was being over-cautious but hey.