washer pipes

Mike B

Reaction score
Over the last 2 weeks we have spent hours sorting out defects in the pipes to the washers on three cars .First an Octavia Vrs which my sons friend has just bought which had non funtioning rear wiper and washer .An air line revealed a hissing behind the trim over the CD changer in the boot which was opened up to reveal a pool of water and a popped connecter.this took a lot of drying out but the wiper was just the fuse so now 100%.Then his old Bora V5 which we were keeping for my wifes car had weak washers show up on its MOT so this was investigated and quickly found to be a kink in the pipe inside the bonnet which was fixed and now the fan type jets are ten times as powerful.Then my son looked at his rear washer on his A4 Avant which was low powered.This was the worst cos the problem was traced to a kink and acracked pipe where the tailgate hinges to the roof .This was cured with a splint tape and clips but it took all afternoon to take out the interior trim and dry out everything including the amp and speaker which both seem to have survived.Beats me why VAG seem to be prone to thesefaults.My previous A4 Avant popped a connector under the front passenger carpet and that took days to dry out

They usually only pop when you use it during freezing conditions, so I make sure I never use it when it's icy outside! Especially with that big freeze we had over winter, it's sure to have broke a lot of VAG washwipes!

I had the same issue on my Avant and my mates Octy.
Right pain in the ***.

Like Jojo said, attempting to use washer during a freeze with out a good level of screen wash to stop the water from freezing does not help.
That does not explain the kinked pipes though.

On the bright side, at least you know what to look for if any says "my jets are week or not working". :)

I had the same issue on my Avant and my mates Octy.
Right pain in the ***.

Like Jojo said, attempting to use washer during a freeze with out a good level of screen wash to stop the water from freezing does not help.
That does not explain the kinked pipes though.

On the bright side, at least you know what to look for if any says "my jets are week or not working". :)

I agree but you would think that they would know this and make the cnnectors safe or the pumps less powerful or both .The Vrs s fans flood the screen and the A4s jets will reach across the road now.The cracked/kinked pipes can only be carelessness in fitting