Facelift Washer bottle leak?

itf

Reaction score
I was surprised a couple of weeks ago to find the washer level warning light come on when I was driving, the car having been serviced in September (and presumably topped up then).

I topped it up and thought nothing of it, but the light came on again last week. I've subsequently topped it up with neat blue screenwash, so it's quite clear how much is in, and to my surprise it does look like it might be losing screenwash. I can't see anything on the floor on the drive.

Is this likely to be an easy / cheap fix? Covered under warranty?

Well, if it's not leaking onto the ground, where might it be going? I assume you have not been using the screen washers during this time - they can use wash pretty quickly in this mucky weather.

If the car is in full warranty and there is a problem, then I would expect it to be covered.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I was surprised a couple of weeks ago to find the washer level warning light come on when I was driving, the car having been serviced in September (and presumably topped up then).

I topped it up and thought nothing of it, but the light came on again last week. I've subsequently topped it up with neat blue screenwash, so it's quite clear how much is in, and to my surprise it does look like it might be losing screenwash. I can't see anything on the floor on the drive.

Is this likely to be an easy / cheap fix? Covered under warranty?
Sure you’re not just using a lot in the bad weather? If you have headlight washers, they can empty a tank very quickly

I had the same issues last week. Topped up the bottle and next time I drove the warning came on. Topped up the bottle, it took very little and it came on again shortly after. Thinking at this point the sensor was dodgy. Checked bottle again it took little, no leaks.

Rather embarrassingly the filter on the washer bottle was blocked so it was not full after all. Never noticed in the dark. Removed and flushed it and the bottle took 3 litres LOL. All good.

Is the filter easy to remove? Might give that a check. Don't think I have the headlight washers - got a 66 plate S-Line, but as it's a demonstrator I'm not 100% sure of the spec.

The only thing I don't like about the A3 is how small the washer bottle is and how poor the washers nozzles are.

Reactions: GW1 and Audi Bairn
Is the filter easy to remove? Might give that a check. Don't think I have the headlight washers - got a 66 plate S-Line, but as it's a demonstrator I'm not 100% sure of the spec.

Yes filter just sits in top of the washer bottle, no tools required.

I've only ever refilled my twice in the year I've had it... it's frigging massive, like a ****** tardis. My old ST Focus would drain it's washer bottle in a few weeks or less.

Agreed the washer bottle has a huge capacity. Then again the washer jets use a lot of water. I was shocked just how much it took to fill the first time I filled it. On my old car (a Skoda) the dealer was very unhelpful when I suggested there was a leak. I was fobbed off like I was an idiot who didn’t realise that the bottle needed topping up. In the end I bough some fluorescent dye (use to trace leaks, it fluoresces under UV light) and found the leak where pipes join the bottle at the bottom. Then there was no argument from the dealer and it was promptly fixed -it was a loose pipe.

Must just be mine then that gets emptied quickly. Maybe I just like a clear screen.

I wish the car had fan jet washers like my wife's Citigo - much more efficient.

The only thing I don't like about the A3 is how small the washer bottle is and how poor the washers nozzles are.
Yup and even being able to decide when you want the headlights cleaned (unlike my previous Audi's) it still goes down way quicker then previous cars. I also dislike that the very first skoosh on mine throws less water up than subsequent ones on a journey.

Reactions: KenL
I have to top up the washer bottle pretty frequently, especially at this time of year where on certain roads I've had to use it literally once a minute. When it cleans the headlights too it goes down rather quick!

I do hate a dirty window though...

Reactions: KenL
My S-Line can go through 4 L in a week. I have headlight wasters so guess that's why.

Fill it up one morning, don't use them then check again in the evening. If the level has dropped you have a leak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Must just be mine then that gets emptied quickly. Maybe I just like a clear screen.

Our TT has a fan / mist washer jet but it uses way too much water each time, dangerously so as it obscures vision for too long especially driving into sun in daytime or headlights in the dark

A wee tip in the winter when roads are salty.
Direct your hot air blower away from the windscreen as, if you don't, the heat on the glass dries the crap on the outside meaning you need to activate washers more frequently.

Reactions: Broonie22

Chances are, on a 66 plate you have a face lift model, this has LED headlights and therefore is not fitted with headlight washers.

Chances are, on a 66 plate you have a face lift model, this has LED headlights and therefore is not fitted with headlight washers.

My '66 plate S3 has them. Was the S Line different?

My S-Line can go through 4 L in a week. I have headlight wasters so guess that's why.

Fill it up one morning, don't use them then check again in the evening. If the level has dropped you have a leak

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That might work as a way to diagnose a leak but not necessarily. When I had a leak it would not leak when the washer system was not used since filling. It would leak when the system had been used presumably due to pressure. The leak was not the bottle itself but the pipe from the pump. Another way to diagnose a leak would be to fill the bottle up, use the washers for a short burst then park the car on a dry surface and inspect later for liquid on the floor.

That might work as a way to diagnose a leak but not necessarily. When I had a leak it would not leak when the washer system was not used since filling. It would leak when the system had been used presumably due to pressure. The leak was not the bottle itself but the pipe from the pump. Another way to diagnose a leak would be to fill the bottle up, use the washers for a short burst then park the car on a dry surface and inspect later for liquid on the floor.

Good point.

If it’s on the pressure side of the pump you will need more water to clear your screen as you will loose some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the S-Line has them even with LED’s going by the Audi configurator pics (unless the flaps are just for show)
I’ve got a 66plate s-line it has the cutouts for the washers but no washers on mine unless they’ve changed it since last December when mine was built.

Reactions: SamR92

I have to agree I had to get mine adjusted as no word of a lie when I sprayed them not a drop of water touched my windscreen they just shot over the roof, and I have soaked a biker before on accident

Reactions: KenL and Audi Bairn
I’ve got a 66plate s-line it has the cutouts for the washers but no washers on mine unless they’ve changed it since last December when mine was built.

The flaps are just for show, its cheaper for Audi to form all bumpers with the cut outs and blank them off on cars without headlight washers.

My S-Line with LED headlights was built in July '17 and is not fitted with washers.

Cars with zenon headlights must have headlight washers by law.

Reactions: SamR92
Washer systems are mandatory if the light output is 2000 lumens or greater regardless of whether the light source is Xenon, LED, Halogen or candle.

Most xenon systems are over 2000 lumen hence the need for wash systems, but LED head lamps are generally lower so do not require wash systems. However LED's can seem brighter to the human eye as the colour is generally closer to natural daylight

From what I understand the official reason for mandatory headlight washers is that light diffraction caused by dirt on the lens can dazzle other drivers and this is more of a concern with higher light output.

(Info taken from pistonheads)

The flaps are just for show, its cheaper for Audi to form all bumpers with the cut outs and blank them off on cars without headlight washers.

My S-Line with LED headlights was built in July '17 and is not fitted with washers.

Cars with zenon headlights must have headlight washers by law.[/QUOTE
I thought xenons needed washers as dirt build up meant they could get too hot. I have LED's with washers on my s3. Wife has no washers and LED's on her Mini Cooper so no consistency and goodness knows what it is all about!

So the FL A3 Xenons are less than the legal limit that require washers?

Suits me as I think they are bright enough. In my Cooper S the headlight washers were really annoying, left streaks down the side of my car whether clean or dirty.

Yes, definitely a FL as I have virtual cockpit which I think is FL only. Doesn't seem to be going down any when left on the drive and washers not used, so maybe not a leak. Let's see if the light comes back on.

As far as headlight washers MY18 go here's what's on each as standard (UK):

SE Technik - Xenons / no washers
Sport - Xenons / no washers
S Line - LEDs / no washers
e tron - LEDs / no washers
S3 - LEDs / with washers

Not sure if any of this changed from MY17, but my MY17 S3 has LEDs / with washers

Reactions: KenL and Chris43
Looks like the S3 has headlight washers for convenience rather than legal reasons, bit like my dad's Volvo 340 from the 80's where each headlight had its own mini wiper blade. God bless technology:yahoo:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and KenL