Was it difficult adjusting from a manual to DSG (Auto) gearbox?

Ruhel

Never seen a fuel needle go down so fast!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So I have been driving a manual since I was 17 so it's practically ingrained into me to push the clutch down when changing gears and braking. Was it awkward for a while? I did try left foot braking when testing the car but that was awkward cuz I unintentionally pressed like I would a clutch pedal. Im sure I will adjust quickly. Just wondering did anyone have any mishaps during the transition period.
Cheers
Ruhel

No had it in my ed30 years ago then went back to manual regretted it instantly.

Once you drive it you will wonder why you had not got it sooner!!

No had it in my ed30 years ago then went back to manual regretted it instantly.

Once you drive it you will wonder why you had not got it sooner!!
Keep reading about how DSG is better and faster than manual. I had such a short test drive I never got to fully test the driving.

You don't use your left foot for braking with the DSG.

In fact you don't use your left foot for anything, that's why there is a footrest!

It can take a little while to get used to (say an hours drive around town) After which you will be fine.

I drove manuals for 25 years before I want auto. Never looked back :racer:

Reactions: Scottyg and Ruhel
Yeah prob wont when I pick the car up. I literally drove the car for 2 mins before handing it over to my mechanic for spent an hour test driving and checking everything.

Put your left foot under the seat for the first week or so,or you'll be cracking your windscreen.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Max-Robbo, Scottyg and 1 other person
At some point your brain will forget its a DSG, and your left foot will go for the clutch, unfortunately for you there is no clutch, and you'll anchor the car. I have a manual, but my wife has a DSG, and this has happened to my more times than I am prepared to admit. Also I find It's best to do this on a crowded motorway at rush hour.

At some point your brain will forget its a DSG, and your left foot will go for the clutch, unfortunately for you there is no clutch, and you'll anchor the car. I have a manual, but my wife has a DSG, and this has happened to my more times than I am prepared to admit. Also I find It's best to do this on a crowded motorway at rush hour.
I drive 2 manuals as well as my stronic on a daily basis never have a problem with this
My foot never leaves the dead pedal.
Should be fun if I ever do this!
Right foot is only for launch controls ha ha

I drive 2 manuals as well as my stronic on a daily basis never have a problem with this
My foot never leaves the dead pedal.
Should be fun if I ever do this!
Right foot is only for launch controls ha ha

I haven't done it for a while now... but I think the problem was (apart from me being an idiot) that I very infrequently drive my wife's car. That being said I love the DSG box, combine it with ACC and you have the perfect motorway mile muncher.

As said above, tuck your left foot away for a few days. Just use your right foot as you would normally. Once you've driven an S-Tronic you'll never go back. Easier in town, faster changing when required and simply, why would you want to bring a clutch back to your daily driving???? Pretty much every Motorsport category don't use them, dinosaurs. Oops, don't want to start a war. :friends:

Reactions: 45bvtc
Pace any relatively equal power-to-weight manual gearbox machine against a DSG equipped machine and the manual gearbox goes rearward at the first gear change; and for them that miss that manual change all three of my DSG equipped cars have paddle shift and that's as manual as I need 'em to be...
Left leg flailing is so unnecessary today... :yahoo: Unless you truly need the exercise...

Reactions: Scottyg
As said above, tuck your left foot away for a few days. Just use your right foot as you would normally. Once you've driven an S-Tronic you'll never go back. Easier in town, faster changing when required and simply, why would you want to bring a clutch back to your daily driving???? Pretty much every Motorsport category don't use them, dinosaurs. Oops, don't want to start a war. :friends:
well it's all well and good until it goes wrong. Had the PRNDS of death on my A3, had the oil changed and a bit of service done on the gearbox it happened again a couple months later, garage thought it was the DSG ECU so fine take it out send it to ECU testing it comes back fine with no fault. So it's the clutch packs right? got a rattly flywheel as well so lets get clutch and flywheel done at same time that's £1,500. still not fixed lets try a new ecu just to test? nope defo not the ecu, £2,500-£3,000 total and the DSG gearbox still wasn't behaving. had to sell a £3,500 car with £2,500 work done for £1,800. It was that or pay to have the whole gearbox replaced which I wasn't going to do having spent so much on it already and no guarantee from the garage that it would fix it

I'll never go back to an AUTO, keep it simple and It wont bite you in the *** in the long run

well it's all well and good until it goes wrong. Had the PRNDS of death on my A3, had the oil changed and a bit of service done on the gearbox it happened again a couple months later, garage thought it was the DSG ECU so fine take it out send it to ECU testing it comes back fine with no fault. So it's the clutch packs right? got a rattly flywheel as well so lets get clutch and flywheel done at same time that's £1,500. still not fixed lets try a new ecu just to test? nope defo not the ecu, £2,500-£3,000 total and the DSG gearbox still wasn't behaving. had to sell a £3,500 car with £2,500 work done for £1,800. It was that or pay to have the whole gearbox replaced which I wasn't going to do having spent so much on it already and no guarantee from the garage that it would fix it

I'll never go back to an AUTO, keep it simple and It wont bite you in the *** in the long run

What you'll probably learn reading through the forum is that what you say can be exactly people's experiences with the DSG box. Personally, if I was out of manufacturers warranty I'd have a 3rd party one that paid out including full gearbox coverage. You do dice with failure, although that tended to be earlier boxes and not the newer ones.
How old was the box when it went and how many miles done?

I'd still never be without an auto. Move into diesel manuals and you then start worrying about DMF and clutch failures.

Yeah was an early model DSG was about 9-10 years old and around 115k miles at the time of it starting to go.

Well I average 2500 miles a year. Got a while to go before I have to worry. Car is so smooth driving manual is strange now.

Reactions: Scottyg
Ah, that's a different story. Common unfortunately. What you in now?
Saab 9-3 right now but been car hunting recently got 3-6k to spend but not to sure what i'm after. saw a local TT yesterday but i'm not touching that one. made a thread about it earlier. dodgy mileage on it and no history

I'm on my first owned auto (s-tronic) gearbox
I've driven plenty of auto's in my time, including in my previous work
IMHO they're great & flatter your driving
Can't see me going back to a manual TBH. I also drive the wife's car regularly, which is a manual, so its just a case of getting on with it

With mine being mated to the 3 litre V6 supercharged lump its fab - wooooooooooosh!

Go for it, you won't regret it @Ruhel

Reactions: voorhees and Ruhel
I'm on my first owned auto (s-tronic) gearbox
I've driven plenty of auto's in my time, including in my previous work
IMHO they're great & flatter your driving
Can't see me going back to a manual TBH. I also drive the wife's car regularly, which is a manual, so its just a case of getting on with it

With mine being mated to the 3 litre V6 supercharged lump its fab - wooooooooooosh!

Go for it, you won't regret it @Ruhel
I just find it likes going up the gears too quickly. Love the sport mode though. Recently started using the paddle shift which has opened up a whole new experience.

Last edited: