Warranty work - dealer charging for courtesy car?

WM Jon

Reaction score
I have a knocking noise coming from the front drivers side wheel on my A4 Avant, TFSI 252. Booked into dealer and they want £15 to cover insurance on a courtesy car. I haven’t come across this before and have mainly used BMW in the past. Has anyone else encountered this? It’s a Listers dealership. Surely it’s part and parcel of running a dealership and they can charge this to the warranty claim from Audi?

Last edited:
I have a knocking noise coming from the front drivers side wheel on my A4 Avant, TFSI 252. Booked into dealer and they want £15 to cover insurance on a courtesy car. I haven’t come across this before and have mainly used BMW in the past. Has anyone else encountered this? It’s a Listers dealership. Surely it’s part and parcel of running a dealership and they can this to the warranty claim from Audi?

Some do some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a knocking noise coming from the front drivers side wheel on my A4 Avant, TFSI 252. Booked into dealer and they want £15 to cover insurance on a courtesy car. I haven’t come across this before and have mainly used BMW in the past. Has anyone else encountered this? It’s a Listers dealership. Surely it’s part and parcel of running a dealership and they can charge this to the warranty claim from Audi?
Mercedes are the same unless you hold a service plan. You may already be covered on your own insurance so worth checking.

I have never been charged for a coutesy car, the dealership has always been courteous enough to waive it...

Only ever been charged once when I took a Jeep Cherokee in for recall work, £20. Otherwise it's always been complimentary but the jeep was 15 years old when I took it in so they knew I'd never spent a penny with Jeep whereas other dealers the cars have come from them.

IMO if you bought the car from them and it's warranty work then there should be no charge, but if you've taken your car to a dealer that's never seen you before, then fair enough.

Lots of dealers doing this now - listers are my local dealers and I’m booked in for an oil service next week. They mentioned the charge, a quick moan and then quickly waved it!

Lake District Audi charge £15 but it a waiver. If you prang the courtesy car you will not have to pay the £££ excess if you pay the waiver, hope that makes sense.

When i purchased the car from Teesside Audi there was a large banner saying free loan cars... Now they charge

I politly asked for it to be removed which it normally is. My insurance do offer courtesy car cover so if they moan I just ask them to put it on my insurance. They cant be bothered with the paperwork so just put it on theirs

When i purchased the car from Teesside Audi there was a large banner saying free loan cars... Now they charge

I politly asked for it to be removed which it normally is. My insurance do offer courtesy car cover so if they moan I just ask them to put it on my insurance. They cant be bothered with the paperwork so just put it on theirs

I had a £15 charge on an A6 courtesy car. It was so that I wouldn’t have to pay the £1000 excess if it got damaged, I would have to have pay £200 instead so for £15 I thought I’d rather be safe than sorry. Rather pay the charge and potentially save myself £800.

Reactions: Jcbmally
I had a £15 charge on an A6 courtesy car. It was so that I wouldn’t have to pay the £1000 excess if it got damaged, I would have to have pay £200 instead so for £15 I thought I’d rather be safe than sorry. Rather pay the charge and potentially save myself £800.

Standard excess with teesside is £250 if you pay the £15 or not I have found

I did feel a bit guilty last time moaning about the charge to be then given the keys to a s5