Warranty Question

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
So guys have any of you extended the orignal waranty with Audi or gone somewhere else?

I would like to know the Pro's and Con's be either staying with Audi or getting a more compettive quote.

Thanks in advance.

I think you can only have full extended warranty if you take it out when the car is new - I am ready to be corrected.
There are 2 or 3 options for extended warranties that you can take out before the previous one expires.
I have taken out the option that covers certain named components (including engine, gearbox etc) this costs about £150 per year and I think is a good compromise.

So guys have any of you extended the orignal waranty with Audi or gone somewhere else?

I would like to know the Pro's and Con's be either staying with Audi or getting a more compettive quote.

Thanks in advance.
Unless you order factory warranty with the car as new they won't allow it to be added after. I found out on my first new s3 but didn't make the mistake the second time

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Unless you order factory warranty with the car as new they won't allow it to be added after. I found out on my first new s3 but didn't make the mistake the second time

Sorry but you can add years 4 and 5 for 1 year at a time as Audi’s extended warranty.

Sorry but you can add years 4 and 5 for 1 year at a time as Audi’s extended warranty.
Not with the level of cover you get with factory warranty and not the same low price

Not with the level of cover you get with factory warranty and not the same low price

But you stated it was not available. If you put the excess to £0 and miles to high then you are fully covered. The process might be a bit different but you get cover that is better than most aftermarket warranties and the added bonus that you can go directly to your own dealer whom you might have a good relationship with. Also, if you read my post above, the cost was actually lower to go with Audi than any other warranty company.

But you stated it was not available. If you put the excess to £0 and miles to high then you are fully covered. The process might be a bit different but you get cover that is better than most aftermarket warranties and the added bonus that you can go directly to your own dealer whom you might have a good relationship with. Also, if you read my post above, the cost was actually lower to go with Audi than any other warranty company.
I stated factory warranty which I believe is correct

When I did a quote at 3 years old they wanted close to £1k a year and the factory warranty was £225 at the time of order

Yes you are correct. It is cheaper from new and always something that we should do, whether we are keeping the car or not as at the very minimum it is a good selling point. I did find mine reasonable, but I think it was around £100 less than an S3 cos it was a 1.6tdi. Your coverage shouldn't have been that high though. If you read my thread in the link above then perhaps you got quoted as someone whose warranty actually ran out and then wanted to renew as opposed to renewing when still covered. Big difference apparently. My initial quote was around £1k but then went down to around £450 ish.

When I did a quote at 3 years old they wanted close to £1k a year and the factory warranty was £225 at the time of order

Yes you are correct. It is cheaper from new and always something that we should do, whether we are keeping the car or not as at the very minimum it is a good selling point. I did find mine reasonable, but I think it was around £100 less than an S3 cos it was a 1.6tdi. Your coverage shouldn't have been that high though. If you read my thread in the link above then perhaps you got quoted as someone whose warranty actually ran out and then wanted to renew as opposed to renewing when still covered. Big difference apparently. My initial quote was around £1k but then went down to around £450 ish.
Recently looked at the ST3 3-5 year warranty price £350 for a full 5 years of cover! Like you say @Ormesome, it's a good selling point and you'd probably recoup that if you were to sell privately after 3 years. Most people looking at 2 identical used cars would pay £350 more to have that piece of mind!!!

St3w

Reactions: Ormesome
Recently looked at the ST3 3-5 year warranty price £350 for a full 5 years of cover! Like you say @Ormesome, it's a good selling point and you'd probably recoup that if you were to sell privately after 3 years. Most people looking at 2 identical used cars would pay £350 more to have that piece of mind!!!

View attachment 181006
It cost me £255 to extend to 4 years this time. More than happy with that for what the factory warranty covers

Reactions: S32B
It cost me £255 to extend to 4 years this time. More than happy with that for what the factory warranty covers

100%. Just 1 problem and that would be less than the labour costs!

Reactions: OliS3
When I had my S3, at the end of the approved warranty I extended it fully comp and no excess for £430 through Audi.
It may not be the factory warranty that you get with a new car but in my experience it's as good as you can get. Can be paid monthly too if you wish

100%. Just 1 problem and that would be less than the labour costs!
Let's face it, it's mainly engine, gearbox, haldex or the diff. None of which come under £4k

I just took out all components £100 excess cover with Audi Extended Warranty for my 2014 S3 at £64 per month. Cover starts in 2 months when the existing cover (still in the previous owner's name as she took out the cover and claimed before I purchased the car) ends. Worth it for peace of mind.

Apparantly the A Cover with Motoreasy covers everything too, apart from obvious like tyres and exhaust and windows. Has anyone got any feedback on these guys ?

I just took out all components £100 excess cover with Audi Extended Warranty for my 2014 S3 at £64 per month. Cover starts in 2 months when the existing cover (still in the previous owner's name as she took out the cover and claimed before I purchased the car) ends. Worth it for peace of mind.

Mate did you read my thread in the link i posted above? This won't make any sense, but the prices change in the last month of your warranty. you need to wait until you get the email or letter from Audi. Your price, i think, is a bit high. It should be lower than that. You are paying an inflated price. There is some sort of witchcraft that goes on and alters the prices if you are outside the warranty period, either in or out. I have gone through it and if you take a look at my thread i posted above you can see that my quotes were almost double. I don't think yours will be double but i would expect you to be paying less than that. 768 a year seems high. I would advise cancelling the warranty and taking out a new policy when you get the email to renew. To do this you need to be on Audis system as the registered keeper.

BTW, 2014 model with existing cover? do you mean that it already has an extended warranty for the 4th year? be aware that extended warranties are NOT tranferable unless bought from when the car was new. If you go for a claim then Audi will prob not authorise any work as there will be a discrepancy between owners and warranty.

Your quote is for sure higher than normal due to 2 factors, 1 = still in warranty and 2 = you are not registered as the owner on Audi website. These two combined make your quote what it is.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I read it before.

The car had the manufacturer's warranty, that expired (no invitation to renew from Audi) and then Audi extended warranty taken out several months after that. Part way through that warranty policy the car is sold to me, but as a claim had already been made on the policy the full premium would be payable (as being paid monthly) so we figured out that the best solution in the meantime is for me to pay back the previous owner for the remaining monthly payments until the policy runs out end of June, at which point I can take out a policy in my own name (as you say, we confirmed with Audi that the policy cannot be transferred to another person). Further warranty work undertaken (thermostat housing leak) was done in previous owner's name as we're aware that she's named as the policyholder. Previous owner was paying just over £66 per month, so the price I've been quoted at £63 odd per month is slightly cheaper.

The problem with what you're suggesting (that I wait until the current policy expires and then take out cover) is that cover cannot start until 30 days after you apply, so effectively I would have to take a chance that the price I'm quoted is reduced in return for having a 30 day gap in cover. Not the end of the world by any means but something I'd rather avoid if possible, just in case something does end up going wrong in those 30 days.

Oh I forgot to mention that the price was quoted online before they took any of my personal details, so I very much doubt that my case is similar to yours where you had to register your name with them

Ok. sounds like you have a very understanding relationship with your local dealer to accept a warranty claim when the details are in someone else's name. Anway, i still think the quote is high, for 4 reasons:

1. the previous owner took out the warranty whilst NOT in warranty. This affects the price.
2. You are taking out a warranty when still in warranty by 2 months,
3. You have not been given the "all clear" to renew within the specified time of the last 30days of current warranty
4. not the registered keeper on the Audi website. NOT "myaudi". this is an internal system generated by Audi.

All these factors will affect the price, probably why they are so close in price actually. It would be helpful to hear back from someone with an S3 whom has taken out a warranty and got a cheaper price.

It might sound like i am talking rubbish and these factors cannot make a difference. But it does! Its worth a try anyway,

Well we've not really told the local dealers the position, as far as they're concerned the previous owner still owns it (she's my colleague so it's easy), I've just been dropping it off.

Are you saying I'm better off cancelling the warranty I just took out, wait until 30 days til the existing policy expires, then phone Audi Warranty up and update my details and then get another quote online?

Are you saying I'm better off cancelling the warranty I just took out, wait until 30 days til the existing policy expires, then phone Audi Warranty up and update my details and then get another quote online?

It cant help to try! I might be completely wrong! There is no real logic to why it should work, but it worked for me and a couple of other people. I don't think you have anything to lose. I guess you haven't paid anything yet. So why not try it? Personally, I would do as you say. Cancel the new policy taken out, wait until around a week before you need to set up a policy, then ring them up and get yourself down as the main keeper, then try quotes online. It will have to be in this order as if not then the system will either think you are not the keeper or give you quotes for when you're not in warranty.

You're right buddy, I've got nothing to lose.

Going to email them to cancel the warranty I just took out, will phone them up around a week before the policy is due to lapse, update them with my details and then get a new quote which will hopefully be cheaper.

Will keep you posted.

@Ormesome you were right - 30 days before the existing extended warranty policy was due for renewal (last week), the previous owner of my car (still named in the warranty as we've had 2 claims this year so no refund if we can cancelled early) got an email with a quote of £380 for same level cover (all components, £100 excess) down from £700+ this year.

I then went on the Extended Warranty site myself, put the reg in and got the same price and bought it! I didn't phone them up to update my details but obviously I put my own details in for the warranty. Next time I go to Audi I'll ask them to update the owner's details.

Thanks for your tip, it really does work! :D

@Ormesome you were right - 30 days before the existing extended warranty policy was due for renewal (last week), the previous owner of my car (still named in the warranty as we've had 2 claims this year so no refund if we can cancelled early) got an email with a quote of £380 for same level cover (all components, £100 excess) down from £700+ this year.

I then went on the Extended Warranty site myself, put the reg in and got the same price and bought it! I didn't phone them up to update my details but obviously I put my own details in for the warranty. Next time I go to Audi I'll ask them to update the owner's details.

What site did you go on? When I go onto the Audi Extended Warranty site, (https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty). It wont let me do anything as it says im still under warranty.

Love this! well done! :icon thumright: I bet there are hundered of people doing the same thing. I did! Still think info like this should be a "sticky" in the main part of the A3 8V forum as it comes up a lot and not many people know about it.

What @Ormesome said....Once they contact you 30 days before the warranty expiring, the price magically drops, for me by around half!

Look at the attached from the email about renewing the cover to see the price drop! :D

Attachments

• Warranty prices.JPG
    Warranty prices.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 342
Now that I am in my final month I am now able to get a quote. Do I cancel my Motoreasy Warranty and go with Audi Extended Warranty as theres not alot in it between the 2? Also, What is NOT covered by All components with Audi? Have people just gone with Main Conponents?

I went with major components - seemed a better deal to me. I was really only concerned if there was a problem with the main mechanics (engine, ecu, dsg etc)
Note that the “full” cover is not the same as the new car warranty - it doesn’t cover everything.

Now that I am in my final month I am now able to get a quote. Do I cancel my Motoreasy Warranty and go with Audi Extended Warranty as theres not alot in it between the 2? Also, What is NOT covered by All components with Audi? Have people just gone with Main Conponents?

A word of warning. If you go with Audi. Next year you HAVE to renew 30 days before your warranty expires. Don't make the same mistake as me and try to renew a couple weeks before. They won't let you.

I got mine on the day that the previous owner got the renewal notice email (so 30 days before expiry) - the price had then dropped to half of what it was in the first year (it was initially close to £800 I think because there was a gap between taking that out and the new car warranty expiring, the renewal quote was less than half that for 'full' cover with £100 excess; BTW it does state that ALL electrical/mechanical faults are covered, excluding of course wear and tear, so I think it is comparable to the new car warranty)

So the price they have quoted me now that im in my last month of manfactures warranty will stay the same or will go cheaper the closer to the end of the month I get ?

Should be the same as what they quoted you in the renewal email, mine was.