Warranty period

SMI77

Australia
Reaction score
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/volk...s-five-year-warranty-vw/2018-08-08/74689.html

The interesting excerpt by the MD, VW Australia, of which I was not aware:

"in Australia, the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) covers new-vehicle buyers for five years, meaning that people who purchase a Volkswagen are covered anyway and without the extra cost that an official warranty adds to the bottom line."

Is there any equivalent in the UK?

There is the consumer rights act:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-legal-rights/

You just try getting a dealer to agree to fix a major failure after warranty quoting ACL. The best they will do is seek goodwill from VAG. ACL will also only apply to the dealer you bought from and will probably involve a trip to VCAT or the equivalent for whichever state you are in.

You just try getting a dealer to agree to fix a major failure after warranty quoting ACL. The best they will do is seek goodwill from VAG. ACL will also only apply to the dealer you bought from and will probably involve a trip to VCAT or the equivalent for whichever state you are in.

I am a Queenslander and know exactly how motor manufacturers work not only in warranty issues, but shafting dealers at every opportunity.
Not necessarily agree that ACL applies only to the dealer, who, under the dealer agreement, is an agent of the manufacturer, so it captures Audi Oz.

Under ACL you are entitled to seek a remedy from the retailer and not the distributor or manufacturer so would need to take it up with the dealer where you bought a car. Even for smaller items like a TV getting a remedy under ACL can be extremely difficult so I can't see dealers being happy with the hit to their bottom line by giving an informal extended warranty without any financial incentive.

Ultimately, VW Australia don't offer any more than a 3 year warranty because they don't have to and neither are their perceived direct competitors, enough people are buying their cars as it is. Also, their cars aren't as reliable as they would need to be so the cost could be too great. They do periodically offer 5 year warranties during promotional campaigns so they will already have an understanding of how important it is or isn't to their buyers.

Yes, one normally returns the the vehicle from whence it came, unless one bought it in Qld & now resides in WA. But the dealer reclaims warranty from Audi Oz, after much bitching & screaming, much like an insurance coy. Of course, there is mediation/recourse via the ACL, Ombudsman, MP and ors.

VAG Aust (except Skoda) and Toyota appear to be in the minority on 3yrs.
ttps://www.whichcar.com.au/car-advice/which-car-manufacturers-offer-the-longest-warranties

The dealer can only reclaim warranty costs from Audi Australia if the vehicle is under warranty. It doesn't matter which dealer in the network you go to. Outside warranty you would likely find that a friendly dealer will try to seek goodwill from Audi but if you didn't buy the car directly from them and start quoting ACL it won't get you anywhere as they did not supply the goods. Also no protection under ACL if you were not the original buyer of the vehicle.

Skoda in the UK only offers 3 years, Toyota UK on the other hand offer 5 years. In Australia Skoda started to offer 5 as a differentiator as they were an emerging brand so had a need to.

There is also the Sales of goods act in the UK which applies for up to 6 years, this is similar to ACL.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/154226/the-consumer-rights-act-and-new-cars

It will be the same as with ACL though, if you have an out of warranty issue then you are going to face an uphill battle to get a remedy under ACL or Sales of Goods. You need to be able to prove that the defect was present when you bought the car. This could mean that something wasn't made to be suitably durable but this would likely need expert reports which could prove costly. Alternatively, bodies such as Fair Trading or the Consumer Association could assist the individual in the same way the ACCC could in Australia but if you think going into a dealership quoting ACL will get you similar service to warranty I reckon you've got Buckley's.

Reactions: cuke2u
Thank you for that, but the question is " Does the UK Govt. have any legislation that over-rides any manufacturers' warranty policy, similar to the Aust Consumer Law (ACL)?
As that question already has been answered in post #2 I just felt it prudent to point out the manufacturers warranties in the uk, as quoting overseas warranties seems rather pointless to the majority of us in the uk..

I am aware pagenotfound, with the link, answered the question.
Mindful that pagenotfound appeared to have indepth knowledge of the Aust. motor industry, I was not in agreeance with the comments in Para 2 of the post dated Saturday, and submitted my post accordingly.

I have read motor industry journals for decades (centuries, in fact :wink:) and been an avid follower/spectator/marshal at motor racing for longer.
I do not read an article with blinkers on. If it begs a question, I like to seek the answer.

....not just the majority, but all of you in the UK are certainly entitled to hold and speak your opinion eg. this forum or Brexit. How is that going for the UK?

Please
, never let me stop you at anytime, you so desire, to hit the '<-' button.