Warning light-what is it???

S3K

Reaction score
Just had this warning light appear and its not in the owners manual. The car seems ok at the min but the light doesnt shut off? Its the circled one in the photo. Looks like an alternator sign but its blanked off in the manual.....and ideas and fix's appreeciated lads. Is it owt to worry about?

cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DSC02136a.jpg

Ummmmm. Check engine? Could be one of a million things causing it to be illuminated...

Do you have anyone local with VAG-COM?

Regards,

Rob.

I dont know anyone local to Worksop which is where I am quite near but the nearest to me is Chesterfield. Dont want to take it over to there unless its really necessary as its getting time off work etc....just needed some ideas. Knowing what the light meant would be a start. I think I had a simaler problem on my Saxo (cough cough) and it turned out to be a wiring harness. If it can mean a number of things I am ******** and will have to get it booked in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

isn't that the engine management fault warning light.? mate had same on s3 and just had it reset by audi, turned out it was a faulty temp sender . i fitted new and no problems since

As already said, it is the Check Engine Light also known as the Engine Management Light and there could be any number of things causing it to illuminate. Do you have any other noticeable faults with the car? All temp. guages working? Does it drive ok? Have you done anything recently or previous to the light illuminating that may have caused a fault with something on the car? Things like jet-washing engine bays or even crap weather can sometimes cause these lights to come on...

Just a few suggestions there, you will need to plug the car into a diagnostic computer like VAG-COM or similar to ascertain exactly what/where the fault is but if you simply want to clear the light (and fault/s) without sorting them out in the hope that they will go away then you can try disconnecting the battery for approx. an hour. Don't forget to check that you have your radio code first though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers

T

Trouble is I dont drive the car during the week, the missus does, so I dont know what led up to it coming on. And she will swear blind she didnt do anything wrong lol. We have had a bit of damp weather and my car alarm has been a bit funny so could be along those lines maybe. Thanks for the suggestions looks like VAG-COM is the only way to go. Dont suppose there is any one from the board nearby who has it that can give it a quick look?? Just clutching at straws lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

...Sorry mate! I was a bit vague there eh!

Thankfully rojocho and VaulterTim were able to do a proper job of it!

I don't know if this is any use (and there are probably people closer just as willing), but if you get really stuck for a VAG-COM scan, I could meet you halfway somewhere or something? Weird hours don't bother me if you're stuck for times you've got the car... I live in Preston but work around Bolton/Manchester, and to be honest, any excuse for Snake Pass is a good one, so as I say, if you can't find any easier/closer options...

Regards,

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
Trouble is I dont drive the car during the week, the missus does, so I dont know what led up to it coming on. And she will swear blind she didnt do anything wrong lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I know what you mean... the key is trying to phrase questions properly to make her say the right thing! She must be scared of you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as VAG-COM goes... I have it but the only laptop I have has no ****** battery so every time I use it, it has to be outside the house on the end of an extension lead! Was thinking of daisy-chaining them for moving scans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
...Sorry mate! I was a bit vague there eh!

Thankfully rojocho and VaulterTim were able to do a proper job of it!

I don't know if this is any use (and there are probably people closer just as willing), but if you get really stuck for a VAG-COM scan, I could meet you halfway somewhere or something? Weird hours don't bother me if you're stuck for times you've got the car... I live in Preston but work around Bolton/Manchester, and to be honest, any excuse for Snake Pass is a good one, so as I say, if you can't find any easier/closer options...

Regards,

Rob.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much appreciated pal...wouldnt want to put you out though as its a bit of a distance for ya. Hopefully someone a bit closer may be of help before I book it in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Our little un got a laptop for xmas...the battery is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif...doesnt last an hour.....shame we didnt get her VAG-COM then maybe she could have sorted it out for me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Had the same light come up on mine over xmas and like you couln't see it in the owners manual.

Eventually diagnosed as a faulty coolant temp sensor.

I had it and it was the coolant sensor also, but then again I ended up with a whole load of problems and not sure if they were related or were causing the light also.

As said above it could be anything to do with the engine, best bring it to the stealers to get it checked. I ignored mine and nearly ended up paying over €2500 for repair.

Personally, I'd not mess about with an engine check light on...

It can be something very simple and easy to fix...

On the other hand, it could be complex, expensive and potentially life threatening, if the engine dies whilst you are merrily hammering along the motorway at 80+.

Get it checked ASAP...either VAG-Com or Audi...but get it checked. Better safe than sorry...
And as for resetting by disconnecting the battery...it's lit for a reason...maybe to warn you of a potentially dangerous situation. Best get it checked for the safety of all concerned.

Any VW, Audi, SEAT , Skoda dealer will be able to do it...most of them there and then, if you ask nicely.

Yep, i had the same light and it is nowhere to be found in the owners manual. Garage plugged it in and was also a faulty coolant sensor. £28 for the sensor and half hour labour, sorted. cheers .

Cheers for the replys chaps...got it booked in at the stealers tomorrow...my local independant couldnt look at it till next Friday...not in plug it in to see what was up....even though they handle my servicing....not sure if I will use them again because they seemed offish about even having a quick look.... so off to Gilders in Chesterfield I go to get it plugged in and checked out.....hopefully it wont be anything serious as the car seems to be running fine. Tried to get the local vee dub place to check it out also but they didnt want anything to do with it...they just said take it to Audi.....I dunno you cant seem to get anywhere decent these day to look after your car....will let you know how I get on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

£140 later it turns out to be a faulty temperature sender...thank god it wasnt anything serious...alls well that ends with a lighter pocket and all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can all sleep tight tonight now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif