Warning light – Min Oil

Louis Cronin

Reaction score
Hello people,

the min oil light has come on and im wondering why this has happened?

Do you guys need a piccy?

Assuming it's got enough oil in it......

Maybe a sensor error otherwise.

If oil level OK could be a sensor problem as QuattroJames indicates.

What engine do you have and how long have you had the car?
There was an ECU software problem on the 3.0L petrol where Oil level was repeatedly reported as "Low", despite correct oil level and fully functioning sensors - solution was a new Engine ECU. Had mine done under warranty.

Check your "710" fluid level first.!

Am I right in thinking that the warning is for low oil pressure rather than low oil level?

Is it a "ORANGE" light or "RED" light?

If it's low oil pressure I would not drive until it's been checked and resolved......

Hi Guys

Its the 3.0, i have had it 7 months

The light was an orange min warning, nothing to do with pressure.

Louis, Ive got an A4 1.8t sport 2003 with 60000 on. The other day my oil warning symbol came on in the main computer display( not the little round light). I checked the oil level, everything was ok but i was worried i was leaking oil. Took car to Audi main dealer who could not find leak and suggested that oil level may have just dropped a bit low. Again today oil warning light came on. Reading many blogs people are talking about all sorts of things from, oil sludge build up, oil pressure switch, wrong grade oil, blocked oil gauze,etc. Ive only just noticed that the inside of the filler cap area is very dry and smoulders a liitle smoke when opened after engine is hot ?? also when engine is ticking over and cap is off you can actually feel air being pumped out of the filler cap area. Not sure whats happening and if either are nornal but will hopefully find out Monday when i take car back to Audi. Will update this blog asap. Neal.

Louis, Ive got an A4 1.8t sport 2003 with 60000 on. The other day my oil warning symbol came on in the main computer display( not the little round light). I checked the oil level, everything was ok but i was worried i was leaking oil. Took car to Audi main dealer who could not find leak and suggested that oil level may have just dropped a bit low. Again today oil warning light came on. Reading many blogs people are talking about all sorts of things from, oil sludge build up, oil pressure switch, wrong grade oil, blocked oil gauze,etc. Ive only just noticed that the inside of the filler cap area is very dry and smoulders a liitle smoke when opened after engine is hot ?? also when engine is ticking over and cap is off you can actually feel air being pumped out of the filler cap area. Not sure whats happening and if either are nornal but will hopefully find out Monday when i take car back to Audi. Will update this blog asap. Neal.

if it was low oil pressure light then check it out for sluge, if it is it a sump off job and clean, oil strainer will need to be replaced and may be oil pump, dont drive it unitll you get it checked properly

Sorry for delay in posting this but i had a bit of a nightmare and wanted to wait until i had all the info.
I took the car back on the monday and i was told that it was oil pressure and that the gauze and pipe in the sump were probably blocked and needed changing meaning the sump comes off. They told me not to use the car to much, so i didnt but i had already travelled over 70 miles since their original wrong diagnosis. The car then went in for repair on a friday.
£390 quid later they gave me the car back on a saturday morning and i drove to work. Five mins into the journey the engine management light came on and to cut a long story short Audi sent a technician around on the tuesday and diagnosed a fault with the camshaft area.
This is the worst bit, the car is now in Audi again having a Camshaft position adjuster chain change,along with camshaft drivebelt kit change. Because this involves removing a lot of the front of the car i decided to have the cambelt changed. Total cost for all £1015 + £390 above = a ******** xmas. Yes i could have moaned and groaned about their mis-diagnosis in the original instance but would i have got anywhere??. Luckily they did decide to reduce the labour charge after a bit of groaning from £110 to £65 and hour. If anyone is looking for a clean A4 next year 2003 with about 70000 miles on let me know, at least you know this work should'nt need doing again.
Regards Neal

Sorry for delay in posting this but i had a bit of a nightmare and wanted to wait until i had all the info.
I took the car back on the monday and i was told that it was oil pressure and that the gauze and pipe in the sump were probably blocked and needed changing meaning the sump comes off. They told me not to use the car to much, so i didnt but i had already travelled over 70 miles since their original wrong diagnosis. The car then went in for repair on a friday.
£390 quid later they gave me the car back on a saturday morning and i drove to work. Five mins into the journey the engine management light came on and to cut a long story short Audi sent a technician around on the tuesday and diagnosed a fault with the camshaft area.
This is the worst bit, the car is now in Audi again having a Camshaft position adjuster chain change,along with camshaft drivebelt kit change. Because this involves removing a lot of the front of the car i decided to have the cambelt changed. Total cost for all £1015 + £390 above = a ******** xmas. Yes i could have moaned and groaned about their mis-diagnosis in the original instance but would i have got anywhere??. Luckily they did decide to reduce the labour charge after a bit of groaning from £110 to £65 and hour. If anyone is looking for a clean A4 next year 2003 with about 70000 miles on let me know, at least you know this work should'nt need doing again.
Regards Neal

Pardon me if I'm giving out duff info, but if it is related to Low Oil Pressure and you have followed Audi's oil change schedule (circa 5k miles between changes), then they should be carrying out all repairs under the extended 8 year warranty - this is a known problem...