Warm Start / Cold Start Issues - Please Help!

dtmullins95

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2010 Audi A3. It is the 2.0 TDI 140bhp model with roughly 160K on the clock.

For a good few months I have been struggling with a few niggling issues....

Noteable things the car has had recently;

1. Master clutch cylinder - failed about 2 months ago. Was replaced but occasionaly clutch pedal still gets stuck down, can prise it back up with hand and clutch still works just with minimal clutch travel. Rang the garage back who suggested it may be slave clyinder at fault & to bring it in for them to check!
2. Diesel Injector clean - Put a can of Valvoline injector cleaning solution into the tank about 3 months ago as the car was a bit lumpy when cold.

Warm Start Issues:

The most annoying one by far is an issue when the car is warm having got up to temp, switched off for a few minutes like nipping in for some shopping etc, and then attempted to be restarted. It seems like the engine will do like one crank and then stop...

The fix I have found is repeated twists of the igntion and also a stab on the accelator pedal.

Its a real lottery this one as sometimes its fine & fires straight away, and sometimes it'll do as above. The amount of times I need to try and get it started vary too, sometimes it'll be up to 5 times.

I have rang round a few garages & auto sparks but nobody seems too intrested and it'll be like "finding a needle in a haystack"...

Battery was tested by Halfords not long ago and it passed their checks. I'd also like to point out, the car has zero issues when it's cold... It always fires up straight away!

Has anyone had the same issue?

Hi, Yes experiencing a not too dissimilar warm start issue. I think it’s indicating a worn starter motor, I did some searching on the forum and there are a few posts on here that describe a similar issue.
Analysis is that at cold start the ECU provides a richer fuel mix which ‘hides’ the fact that the starter motor isn’t spinning as fast as it should when new. So when engine is warm the ECU only allows a lean mix but as the starter motor is underperforming it can’t turn the engine over fast enough for it to start on the leaner mix. Makes sense?
It’s on my to do list, keep us updated

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Audi A3. It is the 2.0 TDI 140bhp model with roughly 160K on the clock.

For a good few months I have been struggling with a few niggling issues....

Noteable things the car has had recently;

1. Master clutch cylinder - failed about 2 months ago. Was replaced but occasionaly clutch pedal still gets stuck down, can prise it back up with hand and clutch still works just with minimal clutch travel. Rang the garage back who suggested it may be slave clyinder at fault & to bring it in for them to check!
2. Diesel Injector clean - Put a can of Valvoline injector cleaning solution into the tank about 3 months ago as the car was a bit lumpy when cold.

Warm Start Issues:

The most annoying one by far is an issue when the car is warm having got up to temp, switched off for a few minutes like nipping in for some shopping etc, and then attempted to be restarted. It seems like the engine will do like one crank and then stop...

The fix I have found is repeated twists of the igntion and also a stab on the accelator pedal.

Its a real lottery this one as sometimes its fine & fires straight away, and sometimes it'll do as above. The amount of times I need to try and get it started vary too, sometimes it'll be up to 5 times.

I have rang round a few garages & auto sparks but nobody seems too intrested and it'll be like "finding a needle in a haystack"...

Battery was tested by Halfords not long ago and it passed their checks. I'd also like to point out, the car has zero issues when it's cold... It always fires up straight away!

Has anyone had the same issue?
Hi, did you manage to figure out what the issue was? I’ve been having the same issues for a while, and now the car just won’t start at all. I’ve tried changing the battery & starter motor and neither worked