Wanting to trade up from S3

ollie2013uk

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So, I've been looking for a while to come out of my S3 into an Rs3. It seems like the right thing to do. I currently pay in the region of 350 per month for the S3 but have only a couple of grand equity in it.

My question is, do I chuck 20k down as a deposit for the Rs3 or do I not? Also, what is it with the absolutely **** spec'd ones on Audi's used site? It seems like they put bulk orders through with literally no spec then asking 500 less than a new one with a half-decent spec?!

When I got mine in 2015 almost all the dealer ones were a nasty spec, no idea why!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

No idea why the specs are so bad. I've managed to put a deposit down on a dealer built RS3 sports edition with sport and sound/comfort pack.

Out of interest why such a big deposit? Rough guide from my understanding for every £1000 deposit will lower monthly between £22-29 per month, depending on APRS etc. I'm talking PCP here not HP

So for rough example you need to put in £5000 to save just over £100 a month. I'd far prefer to have that £5000 in my pocket.

Low spec ones Audi may have felt that these would be a good buy for those who have a very generous car allowance that would see them in one without going over budget with extra options, just a theory.

I can see the point of a big deposit if you're actually buying the car with the rest funded by a low APR bank loan, or you fully intend to buy the car after the (low monthly payment) PCP deal ends.

If you're not doing either of those I think it's daft to whack £20k into a depreciating car. You'd be much better off leaving it in the bank or investing it somewhere.

I hate when threads basically dissolve into finance arguments though, so it's your money - only you know your circumstances so do whatever the hell you like with it.

I only put my 2p in, in case you hadn't quite thought things through. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business though :D

Reactions: Raiden, teslaboy, RS3 S. and 1 other person
I can see the point of a big deposit if you're actually buying the car with the rest funded by a low APR bank loan, or you fully intend to buy the car after the (low monthly payment) PCP deal ends.

If you're not doing either of those I think it's daft to whack £20k into a depreciating car. You'd be much better off leaving it in the bank or investing it somewhere.

I hate when threads basically dissolve into finance arguments though, so it's your money - only you know your circumstances so do whatever the hell you like with it.

I only put my 2p in, in case you hadn't quite thought things through. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business though :D
.........my excact thoughts aswell.

Thank you for your feedback. I understand all sides of the argument. I just didn't want my monthly payment to be as big as my mortgage!! lol

£600 per month is what I'm being quoted at the moment with a 4k deposit. Sound about right for an RS3 Sport Edition?

Sounds about right to me.

If you know the GFV and the APR there are a few online PCP calculators that you can check figures with.

I'm pretty sure the dealer will have very little control over the APR or the GFV (they'll be set by Audi), and RS3's are always in demand so you can't do a BMW and expect 20% discounts and 0% APR.

If I had 20K to play with I'd rather be paying £600 with £16k left in the bank, than £300 with nothing for a rainy day/emergencies.

Yes, I'd rather have the money in the bank granted. However, I just can't get my head around spending £600 per month on a car! Must just be me!

Toying with the idea of leaving it until next year and buying a demo or a used one?!

Used/demo yes if its the right deal. Apr is always a few % more so even so you'd need to do the sums.

Your totally right though Ollie, its each to there own regards to finance. I'm putting in a low deposit and I hire monthly. Mainly because I want to keep my cash in the bank due to the nature of my work.

I'm basically a offshore contractor so over the winter months I can end up with sometimes 2 months with no work, which = no pay. So having the rainy day cash in the bank is a safer option for me.

Just keep an eye out and you'll find what your after. I wasnt expecting to fine what I want for ages. But a dealer build was exact spec o wanted to went for it

I'm not sure I could get my head around spending £600 a month on a car unless the intention was to buy it outright and then keep it. Something that wouldn't hopefully depreciate too much (like 911 997.2 Porsche, or AM v8).

Just to give you an example - I put down @£4k and pay @£400 a month for my RS3. It's a 16 plate PFL bought as an Audi used approved car.

Thank you mate, I think I've made up my mind. I'm going to wait until the sport edition has settled down in price and been out a little while and grab a used one.

Bought a 69 plate Sport Edition "used" with 25 miles on the clock! £500 per month. Very impressed glad I waited for the sport edition

Reactions: Bells, FBF01, L1ARR and 2 others
Bought a 69 plate Sport Edition "used" with 25 miles on the clock! £500 per month. Very impressed glad I waited for the sport edition
Congrats mate, interested to hear how it compares to your previous S3.

pics also needed : )

Lovely mate, get some pics up. What sort of deposit for that monthly cost?