Wanted A8/S8 forum moderator!

Administrators

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Please all those who want to be considered please put yourselves forward and reasons why you think you should get the job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just a few details about being a good moderator-
You need to keep your eye out for posts that belong in different forums and move them if needed leaving a pointer and why they were moved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
You need to step in if things become a little heated and inform the admin if you think it's getting serious. :s
But most of all to help develop the forum and create interest whilst being helpful to those looking for information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Also by encouraging more users of the same model to sign up you will make your area busier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would like to cautiously volunteer but I’m unsure of the nature of the role. Why should I do it? Well I think I can offer regular help to posters with issues, I’ve been with audi-sport.net for a while so know the ethos responsible for its success, and I have a passion for the car manufacturer who dares to be different (and gets it right). Oh, and I hate politicians.
Downsides? Not sure what the role entails, I’m not able to visit every day, and I’m ashamed to say I haven’t been to any meets yet.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Perhaps you might want to come along Saturday and that would be one less thing to worry about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You don't need to live on here to do the job in all fairness, but a passion for the car is definately a step in the right direction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't think the job will be too strenuous on this particular forum... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We're all pretty civilized guys, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

IMHO either Mutley, Matthew or Medders should have preference, as they have seniority on the forum. I'm fairly new here, so that would feel a bit weird me thinks, no?

If Mutley wants the job that's fine with me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I agree – we are not likely to experience an argument in here about which chip is best or hostility from other drivers about pointless street drag racing because we would win anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

As for seniority Sven – I for one don’t believe in that – the best roman emperor was the one who didn’t want the job in the first place…so here we are all equal.

I think I would prefer to remain a technical resource for the S8 (that comment is not linked to the one above by the way!). As far as internal combustion engines, transmissions, differentials, and other oily bits go, regular posters will know I’m a complete geek and proud of it.
Whilst I feel I would like to give something back to this superb site, I would prefer to do so with technical input rather than moderation.

Over to you guys

<nervous anticipation> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

how about.... medders as A8 moderator and mutley as A8 tech?
I was hoping Matthew would take the job as well, can we convince him?
That way we'd have to mods and a technical guru, sounds like a good foundation to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what's everyone else think???

Fine with me. But what's your idea/goal in this? I think we try to help each other out as much as possible anyway, so would an official "tech" status be any different/better? And what would that imply?

You could of course choose more than one moderator, but then again that might be confusing sometimes. (I've been Admin on a rather busy forum, so I have some experience in this matter; which is also why I'm just fine being a member) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not that I'm not willing to help out if it came to that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm with Sven on this one. I would rather not be labelled as some sort of 'uber-guru' on the S8 since we all have valuable input to various issues that posters may have. I feel that labelling one person as the tech 'head shed' could end up causing bad feeling when there are two different pieces of advice for the same issue. New members may then tend to ignore advice from those except the 'head shed' - and for me that goes against the ethos of this board.
I'd rather 'blend in' and offer advice where I can and have it treated in the same way as anyone else's...

As for moderation to this section - I second both Mathew and Medders - so long as Sven's reservations can be overcome. I think that is to say, if there are 2 moderators, then they would need to present a unified front / response to any issues.

No reservations from my side, I just found that it turned out to be somewhat confusing at times when more than one moderator operated on a forum, since everyone has his own style and 'tolerance level'. That's mainly why I went to one per forum, which simplified matters for me as Admin as well, because there was only one moderator responsible per subforum. But it needs to be said this was a much more hectic forum than this one.

I too believe this A8/S8 subforum is pretty much a 'self governing' forum, so I don't expect any trouble here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As said, it's fine with me, whether you choose Mutley, Medders or Matthew (or all of them). Hmm, what's with all the 'M's anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you can't decide you could always make a poll I suppose... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

(PS: do you notice the forum is very slow at times? Sometimes I also get a 'blank' page when I click "continue"...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(ref your PS, yes we have. unfortunately the hosting company is a bit , ermmmm, nuff said. they aren't usually aware until we tell them, and they have problems understanding the word "intermittent" as in, if it isn't *down* they can't fix it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

ok, maybe the role would be more about helping to promote there area and make it busier? like telling other A8/S8 owners about it, would that make more sense? as well as just moving stuff not related from there forum into other areas.

I have always mentioned Audi-sport to other A8/S8 owners and have the stickers in my car and will continue to do that regardless.

On saying that I have never been sure on the protocol of promoting one forum on another forum, for example I try to keep up to date with the A8 posts on the Audiworld forums, without upsetting the Audiworld moderators what would be an appropriate way of letting the users know Audi-sport A8/S8 forum exists?