Want an S3!

cliowilliams

Reaction score
Hi all, went to look at some cars teh other day, renaultsport 182, Golf TDi (130) and an S3, hands down the S3 won. Now im in the market for one. Does anyone have any advice they can give me? Best places to look, common faults etc? Any recall problems? As soon as i get rid of my Clio williams Hybrid i will be looking to get an S3!
Thanks, Mehdi

my advice to you is just get one! i put a deposit on 1 at the weekend and i pick it up on saturday, cant wait! the test drive just took my breath away, obviously goin from a toyota corolla g6r to a s3 is a bigger step yours, but like i said s3 all the way over your other choices!!!!

yeah - ya's won't regret it, I got the T Sport, and managed to keep up with a clio sport tonight - still say he'd probably be quicka, but in terms of car comparison it's nowhere near an audi. I'm sure a lot of the S3 ownwers on here will be able to shed loads of advice! I'd probably say check the usuals, full sh, what's next on the service list? is it the facelift model? (i think it's from 2000 onwards (but sure someone will correct if I'm wrong) check to see what optional extras they have too, as at first I wasn't bothered about leatehr or an armrest on mine (think leather will probs be standard on s3) but after holding out and getting one, I KNOW I made the right choice!

best of luck to both of ya's and welcome to teh site! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Recently picked up my S3. Yay!!! Can you guys tell me whether the S3 comes with xenons as standard on a 2000? Main thing it doesn't have is heated seats. Does anybody have the wiring diagrams to hand so I can wire them up?

u would think so wouldn't u? ahha but .. unfortunately they are optional /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif i don't have it either, wish i did

I have heated seats in my S3.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thought they were standard in them 2

This isn't the full list but...

Standard:
Electric Leather Recaros. (full or half alcantra)
Xenon's.
ESP.
Climate Control.
Headlamp wash.

Options:
Heated Seats (about £150 if I remember right).
Cruise Control (ditto).
Sunroof.
Bose stereo, plus various stereo options.
Sat Nav.
Third rear headrest + 3 point seatbelt.
Metallic Paint.
(later any Audi paint by special order at greater cost).

I recall a forum thread about retro-fitting heated seats. Doing the cruise control is easy. Wouldn't recommend retrofitting the sunroof :)

The S3's had a number of revisions. It started with a 210bhp engine, was facelifted in late 2000 (known as 2001 model) and then uprated to 225bhp after that.

One common fault I've had with both my S3's is the Xenon headlamp self levelling goes wonky.

ESP was an option on early S3's... I don't have it on mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , But I do have heated seats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Very helpful post SimonP. What are the most popular colours?
Did the S3 thave the re-call problem with dodgy coil-packs?

Colour choice is something of a personal taste issue!

I'd do a search on autotrader or audi's website to see which ones come up most often and take it from there.

From my observation on the road it's probably silver and black.

Yes the S3 uses the same coil packs that have had the problem, except in the very latest batch which will have the non-dodgy coil packs installed in the factory. On early S3's there was also a suspension recall I believe.

Good luck and enjoy it when you get it.