Wait for the new Mercedes Benz A45 AMG or just order the RS3 now?

AudiBoss

Reaction score
Hi guys is anyone here waiting for the new A45 AMG to be released later this year before ordering an RS3?. Does anyone think the A45 might be a better buy given the much newer technology of the new A class compared with the current 2016 A3 platform?

5 pot vs 4 is no competition imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, FBF01, Bristle Hound and 8 others
Yep, im waiting for the a45. had the mark 1 which i loved...I feel the new 2019 a45 saloon may be an easier transition from my current rs3 saloon...
True, the 5cyl sound is pure rock music... I reckon you would also miss the pace of the rs3 too, especially if yer mapped.. A45 just doesnt seem to have the same tunability or map support...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terminator x
I will never buy an A45, screaming hairdrier of a car, total chav mobile especially with that awful interior.

Not sure whats gone wrong with all new mercs, awful design and shape.
But then each to their own.

Reactions: FBF01 and NevMan
RS3 all the way , no contest for me

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sve170
I currently have an A45 but have decided to get a RS3. My thinking? The rumour is that there will be 2 different A45s - a base one with virtually identical power to the current one, and a A45S with power increased to 412-420bhp depending on which magazine you read. My assumption is that the base A45 will start at a price point of mid £40k and the S version probably £50k and this will be before you add any options.
So I have decided that the RS3 is actually reasonable value and the power output sits nicely in between the A45 and A45S.
I must confess that I do consider the price when deciding on cars - the reason I didn't get a first gen A45 was that there were no discounts at the time but there were when the facelift appeared. I also liked the magnetic dampers and that they had improved the ride. Discounts for the facelift weren't earth shattering but were ok - I think this is the reason why so many A classes are on the roads generally.
Although discounts for the RS3 will be limited, I doubt very much there will be any for the A45 - at least for the first 12-18 months. Plus....I need to scratch the 5 pot itch!!:icon thumright:

Reactions: tigerhonaker, teslaboy, Scotty75 and 1 other person
You’re asking on an Audi forum... what answer do you expect :tearsofjoy: Don’t count on others to make you’re choice, go for what you like yourself’s the easy answer

Reactions: Slowracer, Marshy and Bristle Hound
Are you suggesting we biased around here Col

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound and sve170
I currently have an A45 but have decided to get a RS3. My thinking? The rumour is that there will be 2 different A45s - a base one with virtually identical power to the current one, and a A45S with power increased to 412-420bhp depending on which magazine you read. My assumption is that the base A45 will start at a price point of mid £40k and the S version probably £50k and this will be before you add any options.
So I have decided that the RS3 is actually reasonable value and the power output sits nicely in between the A45 and A45S.
I must confess that I do consider the price when deciding on cars - the reason I didn't get a first gen A45 was that there were no discounts at the time but there were when the facelift appeared. I also liked the magnetic dampers and that they had improved the ride. Discounts for the facelift weren't earth shattering but were ok - I think this is the reason why so many A classes are on the roads generally.
Although discounts for the RS3 will be limited, I doubt very much there will be any for the A45 - at least for the first 12-18 months. Plus....I need to scratch the 5 pot itch!!:icon thumright:

Yep, prices are getting silly.

I think this is a hard choice to make - ignoring money for a second - the new A45 is likely to have more power, it is is also newer tech and it may even have the ability to change from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive like the other new AMG cars.

The RS3 has the engine. The noise. And if you want a saloon it has the shape that the A45 doesn’t (although they are likely to release a saloon it’s unclear if it will be available in the UK).

For me - every single day - the noise and that engine is what makes it special. Also tech wise the only thing missing really are a bigger main infotainment display and colour mood lighting. Although comfort wise the AMG is likely to have power sports seats unlike the RS3.

But also consider order time if it’s new. I’d probably wait and see what the new A45 comes in at if you want a new car.

However, as much as I hate to admit it the deal here may be a used RS3. You could get a facelift with all the tech for less than new and no wait.

Reactions: rdj
I drove an AMG A45 (381 hp) and swapped it last year for a RS3 8V (400 hp). Compared to the RS3, the AMG is a piece of crap. The engine has significant less power, the sound is artifical and only loud (but not good), the sat nav was a catastrophe and the car felt like it has been built for 18 year-old boys. The gear box was crap, too: partly, it took ages to find the right gear, often, you had to shift twice to get into rear. In a nutshell: I hated the Benz and I love the RS3. Don't get fooled: the four cylinder of the next generation will never get as good as Audi's five cylinder.

Reactions: tigerhonaker, NevMan, D0C and 2 others
Can’t say I’ve disliked my A45 as much as Holger but I will confirm the gearbox is like one that’s been taken out of a tractor. I’ve been in an E class with the new 9 speed box and it was excellent but who knows what it will be like in the new A45. I had a Golf R before the A45 and it’s clear that VW/Audi are well ahead in the dual clutch stakes...

Reactions: tigerhonaker, teslaboy, NevMan and 1 other person
Yep, im waiting for the a45. had the mark 1 which i loved...I feel the new 2019 a45 saloon may be an easier transition from my current rs3 saloon...
True, the 5cyl sound is pure rock music... I reckon you would also miss the pace of the rs3 too, especially if yer mapped.. A45 just doesnt seem to have the same tunability or map support...

Yeh, sound, tunability, interior quality is what you’ll miss. Merc are getting better but 4 cylinder, no thanks.

I have watched a lot and I do mean a lot of You-tube videos of the Mercedes and some were doing the comparison between the RS3 and Mercedes.

My personal take was ............
I much-much prefer the look of the RS3 and in my case I prefer the Sedan not the Sportback.
Powertrain wise I'm of the opinion the RS3 has that Totally-Wrapped-Up guys it's so Bad-***.

Terry

Reactions: T-800
I was also attracted to the rs3 saloon rather than sportback.. Glad im not alone in that preference with no disrespect to sportback owners..

Had a look at the A35 today.. not sure if it was poorly specced but I must say, wasnt impressed with the chrome door handles or the overuse of piano black accents inside... seats were not so inspiring either.. couldnt see myself getting used to that cockpit...The 45 will have to be much more of a class act to get my attention.

PS. A45 hatchback and saloon both heading to UK market nearer end of 2019.

PS. A45 hatchback and saloon both heading to UK market nearer end of 2019.

If you wait till then the new Rs3 platform may be tempting you, just around the corner in 2020, but then there’s always something better coming!!

Reactions: rdj, arressfree and NevMan