Wagner

paddy

Reaction score
Fitted a Wagner IC this morning. Power went from 353bhp to 380bhp. spec as per my sig.
I think this says a lot about the std facelift plastic intercooler if nothing else.
Almost where i want to be but Torque drops of dramatically and to be fair i am running a stock 7 year old exhaust so i will do that next and see if i can grab a few more il/ft
Car had a health check and no problems so i think its just back pressures from the old boxes.

Attachments

• CCF04062018.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 209
Reactions: samuelh_888 and splbound
Say what?!
You did dyno run before and after?

Well i did a dyno run a couple of weeks ago when it was mapped on the same dyno and got 353bhp and the guy said book it in again for IC as that will be the problem so today was with the new IC otherwise identical to the last run, 380.8bhp

Reactions: S. and mechanic69
Paddy,
I am also on APR stage 2+. The file was flashed 2 years ago before I fitted a Wagner. Do you know if the file needs updating to include the intercooler now?

Cheers,
Peter

I don't think it would be necessary TBH. I think the gains i got were because the std intercooler was underperforming. If you already had 375bhp for example you are not going to see near 30bhp improvement, its simply that i had a problem in the first place i would guess so i was starting from a low base.
Looking at the 2 graphes they are almost identical except the first BHP curve rises to 350bhp at 5k rpm them levels off but the new graph shows the same 350 bhp at 5k but it now continues to rise to 7k rpm
That would say to me the increase is up the top so almost certainly better IC flow so tanks and pipes.
Incidentally ambient temp was double today what it was on the first run so today figures might have been better had it been cooler..

The interesting curve is the Torque which hits 5k revs and drops sharply the same as it did the first run and i would bet that's the std silencers again interfering at higher revs. I will stick a Milltek cat back on it soon but i doubt its worth paying for another dyno run at £90 a time.....There comes a time where being happy with how it goes is more important than the peak figures i think.

Yes, I agree.
I have the APR downpipe with standard catback and that was blamed for not hitting the very highest BHP by the tuner.
However, if you look at the hardware spec if you want to use APR for a TTE 420 They say the standard catback is fine and all you need is a downpipe.
Are you running a DV+ or standard divertor?
I certainly felt the difference to the pick up when my son removed a DV+ and fitted a rev G to his RTech 2+ after fitting an Airtec stage 2 I/C. I think it ran better with the DV+

Yes i use a DV+ having had the factory option fail miserably :) I was getting an orange engine light :) Took me 10,000 miles to trace that to the std DV.

I was told the same that the std cat back is fine which is one reason why APR make a beautifully crafted cast down pipe and don't do an exhaust for the 8p. I just have a suspicion that one of my boxes might have lose internals which might be affecting flow as there is a rattle if you stand at the back and rev it. The millteck is 1/2 bigger bore dia i think which doesnt sound a lot but would add about 60% to area, that said you need some restriction to create back pressure so you can go too big but 2.5" would be fine ...

34366840 2130173107011978 7229487680763985920 n
Just found this on QST's face book page...fame at last

Reactions: ch1z64, S. and samuelh_888
That's great paddy. On a hotter day gaining 25+ bhp shows how restrictive is facelift ic which i have too.
Mine did 380 bhp on a very hot day when it was mapped but because of sky high temps it was dialed back to "safe" 360 bhp..now i'm wondering what it might do with better ic...
Gotta get that wellycooler fitted.

The stock facelift IC with the plastic end caps leaks like a sieve when mapped. I changed mine within a year of going stage 1 for the older all alloy OEM IC and it was like having a remap! The wagner will obviously outperform the OEM IC but I never really saw any issues on the road with high intake temps, even with a TTE420.

Reactions: paddy
I think the benefits of a good IC will be over the life time of the car with much cooler working temps rather than any short/medium term benefits, that was my thinking anyway as i plan to keep the car. as you say i dont think it would be an issue on the road, maybe a track day after time but not with the roads as they are now :)

I agree with you. Once it's moving it's not a big deal but i feel bad for it when it's sitting at idle in traffic.

can I be rude n ask how much??

must...resist....must resist...MUST RESIST!!!

Surely 380bhp is just tooooo much power for you Paddy :shrug:

Well its too much for the suspension set up so i cant really use it anyway...:)
I am only doing this because i have given up the bikes and frankly the car is pedestrian after my last bike :)

Simply..£1000 fitted

Reactions: SootySport and S.
No, QST Haywards Heath, well south of the M25. :)