Wagner VS AH FABS V2

Fairly sure no one has fitted a Wagner on here as yet (mainly due to price...) why are you bothered about cutting and welding?

<tuffty/>

sort off but wanted to check if it was equall or better then the FABS V2.. the specs of the wagner as on the site are:

• High-performance 600mm x 355mm x 50mm 10,650cm³ flow rate
  • CAD / FEM optimized cast aluminum end tanks
  • 60mm Intake, 70mm Exit

compared with the FAbs v2:
core size of 492 x 260 x 62 mm thick. 51 mm tubes fitted.

so i can tell the core size is bigger.. though not sure if the fog lights will fit as per the AH fabs

AH Fabs V1... (51mm outlets)
20090625_IMG_3485.jpg

AH Fabs V2... (63mm outlets)
20110408_IMAG0674.jpg

<tuffty/>

hmm for some reason its not advertised on their website at the moment.. ots half the price of the wagner FMIC too, not sure

Sorry misunderstood lol

Sorry misunderstood lol

what is it you have misunderstood ?

i was saying the AH fabs v2 is half the price of the wagner with its pipes so thats tempting but the wagner is more refined and no welding and cutting involved... neither do i know the flow capacity of the core or its size besides the 63mm outlet bends....

AH all the way. why pay more than an AH, its proven, the wagner is a thinner core, and the AH will enable uniform pipe sizes all the way.
for the difference in price do you really think the wagner will give you THAT much cooler temps?

tufftys is a perfect example of how a big, proven intercooler can fit with no serious modification.
plus, any intercooler, forge, ah, wellycooler, wagner, will still be effort to fit. the S3 doesnt give much room for anything decent.

yeah some how but doing up dodgy works by cutting the accident bar doesnt sit well with me as i said thats the only negative.. the wagner FMIC looks very refined almost like it belonged on the car

what do you have on now Dave ?

Standard SMIC's, a house move is delaying any car investment at the mo!

I just fancy doing something different and the fact that its flow tested gives makes me think it'll do the business (also the RS4 boys seem to rate the Wagner kits). I'll be keeping the car long term so don't mind investing the extra. I fully expect everyone on here to tell me its overpriced and I should buy the AH fabs or welly cooler blah blah blah, but I just fancy one...

Cutting the crash bar isn't dodgy at all... when will people understand why its there!!!.... its the equivalent of an old skool metal bumper desinged to shrug off the missus reversing itno t a bollard... in an accident that likely to do any further dammage it will be next to useless and is not structualr... its not like you are removing it or weakening it by any degree... its alloy, its designed to collapse if you 'bump' something... even if you don't cut the bar the FMIC will buy the farm in a shunt big enough to deform it anyway

The Wagner is a 50mm core and I can't imagine there is much in it surface area wise to the V2 either... I can't see this flowing much beyond hybrid power and certianly not into big turbo figures...

Why do you think there will be welding involved with the AH V2??is it because of them mistakingly putting the brackets the wrong way? this should now be sorted as Sam had the same issue and told them (along with several others too)

They don't have it listed on the site but all you need to do is either call (a little tricky for you due to time differences granted) or send them an email... Lars is the man to talk to and he will sort one out...

<tuffty/>

okay then... u do know what your proving concerning the accident bar.. as concerning flow has the AH v2 been tested besides with you and bill like an official flow rating at all possibly ?

and yes im worried the will weld them on the opposite direction tbh

okay then... u do know what your proving concerning the accident bar.. as concerning flow has the AH v2 been tested besides with you and bill like an official flow rating at all possibly ?

and yes im worried the will weld them on the opposite direction tbh

I am not proving anything... I am merely describing what the bumper bar is there for... you can read into it what you want... Forge have been supplying modded bumper bars for as long as they have been making their version of the S3 FMIC... if it was an issue I am sure they would have redesigned it...

Anyway, it is of course personal preference so do what you are happiest with... as for the brackets its not like they do it deliberately.. when I was there developing it I had them put the brackets on the right way around... it was getting late at that point but they made 'a note' of the position and I went home with a fantastic new fmic... clearly they made a **** up transferring the note to the drawing which nobody seems to have questioned up until Stacey and Sam... now I believe they have corrected the mistake but to be sure you would be advised to ask the question...

That said, its not the end of the world if they did supply it the wrong way around but its in your interest to make sure you have asked them (preferably via email for written proof) so if a problem did arise you could at least sort out a mutually agreeable resolution...

I can see the appeal of the Wagner fitment wise but from personal experience I cannot see any compelling reason to choose this over the AH V2...Bill has tested pressure drop across the V2 and quite a few other FMIC's and so far no probs flowing nearly 400hp's worth of air... I will be testing again once I have finished mine and (hopefully) got the power up...

You r choice mate at the end of the day but I can't see the Wagner flowing as well as the AH V2 when the powers in the 400hp and above area

<tuffty/>

I only got the AH V2 as I was in the UK, else I'd have gone Wagner. Their shipping price to here was madness whereas a Wagner kit from Germany was around $900 landed (much cheaper). As said, they are loved in the RS4 etc circles.

Remember to ask them to ditch VAT as it's for export :)

Getting the AH V2 to fit with the OE bumper is a bit of a pain (and it's still tight) but it might be better when higher power is required. Saying that, Alex is running 650bhp heh.

650HP ??? what on the AH V2 ? what are his temps ? im looking at 500hp at the moment that's why i want something to last and be as reliable as possible at that figure.

I run the Wagner as do 2 others I know on here. Great bit of kit and fit and build is superb.

Lizard what are your temps as i just realized that your running high power on your s3? your wagner copes well when you push it rather hard ? 5,000rpm +

+

500bhp. Who's building it and mapping it? Which turbo etc? [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Awesome Gti will be stroking the engine with the kit ive already provided, get a ported AGU head, GT30 or GT35 depends on finances at that point , new turbo manifold , and was thinking of sending it to Seb to get the engine transplant and the mapping done...

I am not proving anything... I am merely describing what the bumper bar is there for... you can read into it what you want... Forge have been supplying modded bumper bars for as long as they have been making their version of the S3 FMIC... if it was an issue I am sure they would have redesigned it...

Anyway, it is of course personal preference so do what you are happiest with... as for the brackets its not like they do it deliberately.. when I was there developing it I had them put the brackets on the right way around... it was getting late at that point but they made 'a note' of the position and I went home with a fantastic new fmic... clearly they made a **** up transferring the note to the drawing which nobody seems to have questioned up until Stacey and Sam... now I believe they have corrected the mistake but to be sure you would be advised to ask the question...

That said, its not the end of the world if they did supply it the wrong way around but its in your interest to make sure you have asked them (preferably via email for written proof) so if a problem did arise you could at least sort out a mutually agreeable resolution...

I can see the appeal of the Wagner fitment wise but from personal experience I cannot see any compelling reason to choose this over the AH V2...Bill has tested pressure drop across the V2 and quite a few other FMIC's and so far no probs flowing nearly 400hp's worth of air... I will be testing again once I have finished mine and (hopefully) got the power up...

You r choice mate at the end of the day but I can't see the Wagner flowing as well as the AH V2 when the powers in the 400hp and above area

<tuffty/>

Paul, i didnt mean that your proving anything, and yes you are describing it, in which i agreed with you... i hope you dont get me wrong im not saying its not good God knows it IS! and im sure all the guys here me including are extremely grateful for the FMIC, if it werent for you and Bill most people wouldnt have the change to run high power with a rather cheap FMIC as compared to others

Paul, i didnt mean that your proving anything, and yes you are describing it, in which i agreed with you... i hope you dont get me wrong im not saying its not good God knows it IS! and im sure all the guys here me including are extremely grateful for the FMIC, if it werent for you and Bill most people wouldnt have the change to run high power with a rather cheap FMIC as compared to others

No probs... maybe I misinterpreted your post :)

Personally I still think the Wagner FMIC is a bit on the small side... would be interested to see what the pressure drop across it was on a setup like Alex's... just because it works doesn't mean its efficient...

The Wagner does have more or less as many rows as the AH V2 so a lot of surface area for cooling and the end tanks look a decent design flow wise but it is a thin core so would imagine flow at high horse power is going to generate a lot more heat than it would through a thicker core (from friction as the airspeeds would be higher for smaller tubes)...

<tuffty/>

yeah im still debating it myself as it seems like its quite expensive as compared to the Wagner FMIC for half the price as with 300-400 pounds which would aid me to do much more with the S3. just wanted to see what everyone thought of it to be honest.

p.s i always take your advise Paul too :salute:

yeah im still debating it myself as it seems like its quite expensive as compared to the Wagner FMIC for half the price as with 300-400 pounds which would aid me to do much more with the S3. just wanted to see what everyone thought of it to be honest.

p.s i always take your advise Paul too :salute:

Compare prices posted. A bit of advice from someone in the know ;)

Technically, from what I can gather, only a car that came with a FMIC can have one fitted. Not sure how SMICs are with that law. It's way OTT. Think TUV, but worse. Hardly anyone seems to be bothered by it.

You can get a modification "engineered" but it's about $1,000 (per mod I think?) which is clearly just ignored, for the most part.

Technically, from what I can gather, only a car that came with a FMIC can have one fitted. Not sure how SMICs are with that law. It's way OTT. Think TUV, but worse. Hardly anyone seems to be bothered by it.

You can get a modification "engineered" but it's about $1,000 (per mod I think?) which is clearly just ignored, for the most part.

mainly yes thats why we cant, hence why im sure all us Aussie S3 owners are like Tuffty with the OEM look to conceal as much as we can :p