Wagner Intercooler

MikeParkin

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Just about to buy this intercooler and noticed this on the details.

Please note:
We have found some model year 2015+ vehicles may have an inferior water radiator installed (5Q0121251 ET). It has a much thinner unit with a less dense core and different mounts that do not suit our intercooler. For correct fit and optimum performance we recommend the water radiator (5Q0121251 EP) be installed.

Or is this a US thing?

Any help ?
Cheers

IMG 9889

IMG 9890

Reactions: pburv
So what you are saying is 'Ribbed' is best....:whistle2:
Regarding OP Is this something we should be worried about??

PMSL !! Yep ribbed beats plain on this occasion.

YaY !! My bad boys ribbed.....

IMG 9892

Do you know if this is direct fit Mike ? Was considering the Revo one if I ever done this but after reading Dans posts on the tuning thread this seems to 'package protect' for stage 3.

Reactions: pburv and MikeParkin
Yeah from what I've read it's a slight modification for fitment. I'm going to have to buy the ribbed water cooler oh well I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Yeah from what I've read it's a slight modification for fitment. I'm going to have to buy the ribbed water cooler oh well I'll just have to bite the bullet. View attachment 96377

Ah bummer but best to know now rather than having issues later and once the bumpers off prob only half hour or so extra work. Are you looking to do all your mods in one big hit ? I'm thinking if I go stage 2 to maybe go I/C 6 months later.

Just checked mine.......Ribbed all the way for me...lol
Not that it matters as I doubt I will be modding it any time soon...:sadlike:

Reactions: Rob2k68
It's only £150 ish for a new one so I'll order that soon ha.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Ah bummer but best to know now rather than having issues later and once the bumpers off prob only half hour or so extra work. Are you looking to do all your mods in one big hit ? I'm thinking if I go stage 2 to maybe go I/C 6 months later.

Yeah I wanted the intercooler so I don't really need to go back there once everything is fit. I'm going to install everything at once after my service is done. Then I'm unsure where to get it mapped Revo or MRC. I'm looking more at MRC fore when I get the TTE525 they can map it in.

Yeah I wanted the intercooler so I don't really need to go back there once everything is fit. I'm going to install everything at once after my service is done. Then I'm unsure where to get it mapped Revo or MRC. I'm looking more at MRC fore when I get the TTE525 they can map it in.

I'm with you mate - makes a sensible logical approach making sure that future upgrades will work with what's on there already.

Forive my ignorance but I'm a noob when it comes to performance mods. What kind of gains should you get out of the new intercooler?

As far as I know it's really to get the best out of a stage 2 tune and required for anything beyond that ie bigger turbo stage 3. Not too many just doing the intercooler and nothing else. Bigger cooler means a lower air charge temp and could mean more power but a tuned engine in a warm environment will benefit from this and run more consistent also the tune will become optimised to make the most of the setup which in itself is likely to mean more power. If you drive your car first thing in the morning when it's fairly damp and cool you'll notice it feels quicker !

Reactions: pburv, allanmb and MikeParkin
They say 16bhp alone.

Reactions: pburv, allanmb and Rob2k68
Wow nice !!! Just had confirmation that Scorpion are at the VAG tuning show so stage 2 looks inevitable. ;o)

What power figures are you looking for Mike with your stage 2 install plus CTS pipes ?

Most likely an aftermarket IC wont give you anything...Well perhaps a bit if the original is restricting the airflow. But in warm weather there might be bigger difference. Perhaps I'm wrong. But a good IC is always better than a bad one ;)

Would be interested to know if it adds anything at all to stock but for the time taken to install and the £££ there are easier and cheaper mods that deliver much more power like a remap or tuning box.

Wow nice !!! Just had confirmation that Scorpion are at the VAG tuning show so stage 2 looks inevitable. ;o)

What power figures are you looking for Mike with your stage 2 install plus CTS pipes ?

I'm not sure mate and not particularly bothered as I'm not chasing figures just trying to get it all right hopefully somewhere near or over 400bhp + 400lbft. I'd be happy with that ha.

Would be interested to know if it adds anything at all to stock but for the time taken to install and the £££ there are easier and cheaper mods that deliver much more power like a remap or tuning box.

Yes but all combined together will give you the best results.

It will defiantly give you at least 10bhp on stock! I had a forge intercooler on my mk3 tt with a tuning box, and the intercooler added 28bhp!

Made such a difference intake temps wise. Nearly 40 degrees cooler outlet temps

Any fitting "how to" anywhere ?

Reactions: pburv and MikeParkin
Mmm not to sure, I'll just have to trial and error haha

LoL can't be too difficult one the bumpers off I guess ????

Seen pics on I/C installs with bumper and headlamps out I really don't want to be taking the lights out.

I don't know for s3, but the tt has the same intercooler and that's bumper off, radiator off job

With out a doubt! The full bumper etc comes off but I'm replacing the radiator any way so hey ho.

Nice find @Rob2k68 cheers. Might have to buy the RS3 grill while I have the bumper off ha.

Fitted my wagner a while ago now was quiet a pain compared to the 8p s3.

Reactions: MikeParkin and Rob2k68
What was difficult @lenny151 ? The bumper or the intercooler or both ha.

Well the bumper is a 10-15min job if you know where to look for the screws, it's mainly just getting the cooler in place there's hardly any room at all between the aircon rad and the radiator to get the cooler out, unless you take your aircon rad off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeParkin and Rob2k68
Oh well, so you think I could achieve this on my driveway @lenny151 ?

Ye mate I had mine on my 2 post ramp but only lifted it up to get the under tray off, so it's easily achievable on a drive way with 2 axle stands and a jack to hold the rad pack up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeParkin
Thanks for buying, folks. My music career floundered, but I'm doing alright thanks to you guys.

W

wag.jpg

Reactions: batch