Wagner intercooler ? Any good ..?

Keane

Reaction score
As above, been looking at these coolers .. Does anyone have any experience with one ? The most popular is the airtec I believe.

Okay cheers. Wagner seams really expensive ! Just wondered difference between the 2.

Wagner is possibly the best fmic you can get for tfsi.. There was a back to back test i found on a website somewhere ill try and dig it out.

I have an airtec on mine and have no problems with it. I was looking at the Wagner intercooler but like you say they are expensive so left it alone.

That's really useful.

SO few decent comparisons around,and mostly you simply have to pick one and go with it.....

Shame the ProAlloy wasn't in there as well!

...this beauty goes on tomorrow:biggrin: keane which brand intercooler u ended up with?

Attachments

• DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 761
  • DSC_0175.JPG
    DSC_0175.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 515
Reactions: S3Alex and S3_Mat
has anyone looked into the Peron intercooler. Think its pretty new to the market for the TSI/TFSI engine.

Reactions: grchmason
i was looking at peron and wagner. both seem to be top spec. but i think i'll go for wagner from germany as for me (i'm not in UK) the price is the same for wagner and peron.

I do both Airtec and Wagner and also Pro-Alloy and they are all superb intercoolers with great figure increases. The Wagner item is the creme-de-la-creme but you get what you pay for I suppose. I have sent Peron an email asking if I can supply their products so just waiting for a response.

Last edited:
Reactions: s3_trev, Mario8P and S3Alex
Considering that both of those are available from stock,without special orders or fabrication,I think that's great.

Things have come a long way over the last few years,from having no choice,to this.

Reactions: Brodster
Its fantastic Alex and the customer service of the above 3 that I have mentioned is second to none. I feel nowadays the top suppliers are more than happy to discuss your requirements/problems with an item and are happy to help. I've asked for afew quotations from Pro Alloy for custom made coolers and their response has been spot on. Nothing is too much trouble.

Reactions: S3Alex
Its fantastic Alex and the customer service of the above 3 that I have mentioned is second to none. I feel nowadays the top suppliers are more than happy to discuss your requirements/problems with an item and are happy to help. I've asked for afew quotations from Pro Alloy for custom made coolers and their response has been spot on. Nothing is too much trouble.

That's just what you want.

When I started with the S3,there were 2 or 3 software companies,one full CAI manufacturer,and one exhaust company,and not a whole lot else.

The attitude of many companies has really changed over the last few years,and most seem to have adopted the US approach of nothing being too much trouble.
That makes such a difference.

I've bought a lot of stuff from the States,and the level of support and customer service from IE,USP and others has been amazing,and it's good to see our own manufacturers getting on a similar footing.

I have a ProAlloy intercooler,and their pricing,quality and service are excellent.

so, came home from AMD wagner's feeling really snug in it's new home, hope it will make dif when weather warms up, cos last summer felt car pulling back a bit when tem outside was hot or when really giving some beenz. Stage 2+ remap next week will c should of given me few more horses n some torque as well :)

Reactions: S3Alex, s3_trev and S.
ic does make a difference even when it's cold outside, but not as much as it does when it's hot.
had a twintercooler for a few years, now i decided it's time for a change, new things, so will be ordering wagner before it gets really hot :D

Reactions: lucky_bob
May i ask what to expect when upgrading the intercooler? Not sure if elevation/sea level plays a role here.

Air temperature and pressure will make diffferences.

What you should expect from an uprated IC is less of a drop-off in power on long full throttle runs,when heat soak,hot spots etc on the stock IC become an issue.

For instance,the ProAlloy IC I use will typically see intake temps not far above ambient,whereas the stock IC sees progressively rising temps on hard runs,with a drop off in power as a result,especially on hot days.

Reactions: Mario8P
From my experience, changing from the std S3 (with plastic end caps on facelift models) IC to the all S3 alloy version (pre-facelift) made a significant improvement in low end response, even though we did a pressure test and couldn't hear any leaks. Not convinced there's a lot to be gained here in the UK unless you track your car a lot.

Guess I should get myself a Wagner intercooler before getting a TTE420 hybrid

Reactions: mechanic69
I think for Stg3 or hybrid turbo cars it will make a bigger difference.

It's difficult to say how significant the gains are below that.

Wagner Is very popular in Germany. And I supply..

I can a offer a nice discount if combined with a upgrade turbo :)

Reactions: S3Alex and Mario8P

Wish I could afford both at once

Reactions: TTE Si

Simon can you please PM your discounted price for both?

Email me please (see sig)

Much more easy for me to track msg's

has anyone looked into the Peron intercooler. Think its pretty new to the market for the TSI/TFSI engine.

I'm still hearing good things about the Peron intercooler.

S3 with Loba 4xx, peron cooler, WMI made about 450bhp at a rolling road day

Reactions: grchmason
...i sort of forgot ( tried to forget actually ) mention that, after fitting my wagner n rs4 fuel pressure valve + some suspension bits n bobs, i did put the car on amd dyno, result was i had lost about 19 hp n 22 lb torque, car did drive as before so i put it down to dyno lottery + amd finally managed to get my loba hpfp so after my holiday car is finally booked in for stage 2+ n hpfp on 20 th of feb, will c wot numbers will dyno decide to show :anonymous:

...i sort of forgot ( tried to forget actually ) mention that, after fitting my wagner n rs4 fuel pressure valve + some suspension bits n bobs, i did put the car on amd dyno, result was i had lost about 19 hp n 22 lb torque, car did drive as before so i put it down to dyno lottery + amd finally managed to get my loba hpfp so after my holiday car is finally booked in for stage 2+ n hpfp on 20 th of feb, will c wot numbers will dyno decide to show :anonymous:
Thanks for sharing. Weird how come did you lose this power? How was the weather compared to the last time you did a dyno pull?

Thanks for sharing. Weird how come did you lose this power? How was the weather compared to the last time you did a dyno pull?
...yeah, i wasn't happy, weather was colder than last time + wagner was fitted so no problem there, i hope it was just the dyno, or maybe rs4 valve, dunno, car was still running same stage 2 map, will c on 20th if numbers gonna be short again then will need to look why...im thinking that hpfp n new map will sort it out n bring the new mods together...:think:

...yeah, i wasn't happy, weather was colder than last time + wagner was fitted so no problem there, i hope it was just the dyno, or maybe rs4 valve, dunno, car was still running same stage 2 map, will c on 20th if numbers gonna be short again then will need to look why...im thinking that hpfp n new map will sort it out n bring the new mods together...:think:
I think it has to do with the RS4 valve. Coz I think it needs mapping when fitted.

Keep us posted. And good luck

Reactions: lucky_bob
I think it has to do with the RS4 valve. Coz I think it needs mapping when fitted.

Keep us posted. And good luck
Thx, will update on 20th, im thinking the same cos really can't c the problem being wagner...

I'm still hearing good things about the Peron intercooler.

S3 with Loba 4xx, peron cooler, WMI made about 450bhp at a rolling road day

Peron for me and yes thats Justins (Jussa) S3 proper beast and top fella!