VW Golf MK4 GTI Turbo (150)

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
You guessed it, I have owned one of these babies, and for someone of 21 I thought I was the ********. However it turned out that it was just the car that was ********. The accelerator just made the noise from under the bonnet louder, the steering wheel felt like it was connected to the wheels via a blancmange, the same blancmange that controlled the suspension. The car had so much sound deadening that it weighed as much as a dreadnought and it had traction control that was f'ing ****.

A4Quattro said:
I also had a 1.8 non turbo 20v before my turbo one, it has 125bhp and was apparently the engine from the A3!?

Yeah you could get the A3 sport and SE with the 1.8 20V 125BHP jobbie...
.... also appeared in some A4s too.

Both my golfs were not all that really, I prefer the diesel torque from my A4!

You Audi guys are just plain mean :crying:

I have a Mk4 Gti Turbo, i admit its a bit luke warm as standard but its still very good and a great base for better things, just a simple remap and i have 195hp with no other modifications to the engine and its a very quick and capable car, add some Eibach, Konis and 312mm discs and its a great package, smooth and refined yet handles very well, just as good cruising as being thrown round the bends.

Just thought i would support the poor old Mk4, I think it took the Golf in a good direction, great interiors and refinement from a hatchback only previuosly found in much larger saloons, made all the other manafacturers step things up a gear thats for sure.

For pure performance they had the Audi and Seat brands, the mk4 was a ultra refined performance hatch, the Gti Turbo was fully deserving of the GTI badge, fantastic Recaro interior, solid (although not blistering) performance and chunky good looks.

The mk5 however regained the performance reputation, but sacrificed the interior build and quality which i love about the mk4.

I cant see that a mk4 gti turbo is uncool, the 2.0 and 1.8 na certainly deserve it though.

i'm sure you will all disagree :)

thanks

Tim

I had a tdi-150 .I think the Golf had a good interior with good options,but weight of the body let it down.For a gti model it still needed a remap and better suspension.Also a good stock of MAF units

I bought my mk4 Gti-t 4 years ago for 3k and was very dissapointed apart from the look of it. I think apart from the mk1, it's the best looking production golf to this day and the build quality is fantastic.

Maybe if you're unsure about them, look at it this way - 3k for the car, £600 for coilovers (which have sorted the car out very well), £800 for a turbo conversion and remap to 225bhp, £500 quid for 312mm brake conversion and that's just under 5k for a well sorted car which will do 0-60 in just over 6 seconds and 145 mph. Not bad you have to admit??

Have to agree though, from the factory, it certainly didn't deserve a gti badge :sadlike:

golfs have never been cool for me, pull out onto the M4 and you can see every 2 cars is a golf of some form.

It's just not a GTi.
Alright it has potential to be a good car if fettled with, but then it can hardly be classed as a GTi because of potential. The mk1 was a true GTi, quick and nimble straight off the shelf could challenge lower spec porches of the day in the twisties and then pootle off to the shops.
Apparantly they're remembered what GTi means with the mkV?

i think modified they can be awsome, but in standard form as i know as i had one before my S3, they are ****, remap, coilovers, arb's and exhaust they can perform well. Looks wise i love them, slam to the floor and BBS rims! :D

i owned a GTtdi 52 plate Highline with all the gizmo's was a very quick car with the 150 but put it around the twistys, and it then become as much use as a chocolate tea pot...... but set of coilys made them look cool and feel like a GTI but as stated they didnt deserve a GTI badge out the showroom