VW Emission Scandal - Are we going to get Compensation

A4A4

Owner of a Shiny Daytona
Reaction score
Hi,

Had the letter from Audi to say my A4 2014 plate has the cheating software in and needs a recall.

I see alot of ' No win No Fee' Lawyers making a case to claim against VW.

I believe we should be compenstated for mis-selling clean diesel engines.

What is anyone elses thoughts?

Compensation for the loss of what???

Not a lot of threads on here comparing NOx emissions as a major decision making tool.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Tfsi gone
Depends why you bought the car in the first place.
Was it because it was 'clean' or because it was low tax, had good mpg and driving an Audi (instead of lesser marque) made you feel you were doing alright in life?
I can't imagine many tree huggers drive Audi's so I expect it was more about the MPG and Tax band..

The NOx have no bearing on the ratings published for cleanliness or road fund licence banding.
These are based on Carbon emissions which are not part of the problem.
It's more of a EU/US legal requirement than one that should bother the individual.

I am sure a lot of people will now state they purchased the vehicle based on it's clean rating, 'IF' there is compensation on offer.
Just like every man, woman and dog believes they were miss sold PPI or fiddled with by a 70's TV presenter.

But where they get the evidence to show that this was part of their decision making process is anyone's guess.
It may be buried in the small print of the Sales Brochure, and if it was purchased 2nd hand it was probably never consulted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brennan and Scottyg
Depends why you bought the car in the first place.
Was it because it was 'clean' or because it was low tax, had good mpg and driving an Audi (instead of lesser marque) made you feel you were doing alright in life?
I can't imagine many tree huggers drive Audi's so I expect it was more about the MPG and Tax band..

The NOx have no bearing on the ratings published for cleanliness or road fund licence banding.
These are based on Carbon emissions which are not part of the problem.
It's more of a EU/US legal requirement than one that should bother the individual.

I am sure a lot of people will now state they purchased the vehicle based on it's clean rating, 'IF' there is compensation on offer.
Just like every man, woman and dog believes they were miss sold PPI or fiddled with by a 70's TV presenter.

But where they get the evidence to show that this was part of their decision making process is anyone's guess.
It may be buried in the small print of the Sales Brochure, and if it was purchased 2nd hand it was probably never consulted.

Well said ppl just jumping on band wagons.
I bought my Audi's due to looks styling performance mpg just the product in general. In fairness not being funny board of hearing it and ppl going on I am selling my car because of it get a grip in my opinion if u like the product why change of screw them over?

There may be an issue if after the changes are made be it software or hardware the performance of the vechicle is impacted. If it no longer does the same mpg or has the same performance then you would have been mis sold the car if you had taken these into account.
I am sure the vechicles are going to be retested without the cheat software and VAG are going to have to get the same or better numbers than they had before. It's not Joe Public who are going to win with all these class action suits and legal cases it's the lawyers.
They usually get a very good percentage of every case.
That's why VAG aren't rushing to fix this immediately, they want to get it right first time.

Reactions: Scottyg
But does any car return the MPG stated with or without a fix....no.....do we all make a claim against that.....no.

Hi,

Had the letter from Audi to say my A4 2014 plate has the cheating software in and needs a recall.

I believe you're looking for a quick buck.

Firstly, there's no such thing as a clean diesel. Also, you need to understand what mis-selling is. It's not enough that you were given wrong information. For mis-selling to have occurred, the wrong information needs to be the sole reason the sale took place. Unless you could prove that the only reason you bought the car was the promise of low emissions, and but for that, you'd have kept your money in your pocket, you have not been mis-sold.

Things would change if, after the car has been recalled and modified, it suffered from reduced performance and/or economy. Then you could have a case for breach of contract, because the car is no longer what the contract provided. But that's not mis-selling. Also remember, if you're happy with how the car is now, you don't have to have it modified.

This is a car forum, not a bandwagon forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra, mister.c., 16VG60 and 1 other person
Some people need to wise up and catch a grip.

Reactions: ub7rm and mister.c.
How many concerned people are still driving their dirty diesel. If you are going to claim compensation then you should stop driving it , as obviously the emissions bother you that much .... The same as rejecting a car , you have to stop using it , if you continue to drive it then you are accepting the situation imo ..

I think the whole saga just shows how clever Vag are !!

Reactions: ub7rm and mister.c.
Hi,

What is your consequential loss ? How long do you plan on keeping the car ?
VW owe you zero as there are too many variables.

VW will be fined - say £50 a car. Government will be happy with that cash injection - keep cars in same VED band. Happy days, everyone's a winner!

Think of all the suing going on if the millions of owners wanted a piece, not going to happen.

I might claim off nike for my trainers not being as comfy as they said...lol
Seriously claim for what?

If power or mpg affected after fix then yes take that up with dealer but what would you claim for?

I'm suing Audi. My car is ever so slightly blacker than I originally thought.

Reactions: Brennan and ruairi83
Yeah I'm "looking for a quick buck" I paid enough of them when I chose to buy a brand I thought I could trust. Then it turns out they tried to dupe their customers?
How much money did VW save due to their fraudulent activity?
I'm not "jumping on any bandwagon" just want some cash from a firm that tried to deceive millions, I'd say that's pretty fair.

Yeah I'm "looking for a quick buck" I paid enough of them when I chose to buy a brand I thought I could trust. Then it turns out they tried to dupe their customers?
I'm not "jumping on any bandwagon" just want some cash from a firm that tried to deceive millions, I'd say that's pretty fair.
Why is it fair for you to "just have some cash"? Compensation is due if a person has suffered detriment, not because they just fancy it.
What detriment have you suffered?

Last edited:
Reactions: ianv5
Get over it! Life's to short, just enjoy your car!

Reactions: briantwigley, 45bvtc, Brennan and 3 others
Why not? We follow the yanks on most things so why not continue with the compensation culture?
I was led to believe I was buying a cleaner car than I did. they knew full well they were lying, not difficult to understand. ..lol. doesn't matter how menial it is, they tried it on and got caught.

TE="ianv5, post: 2584365, member: 84570"]Get over it! Life's to short, just enjoy your car![/QUOTE]
Dont get me wrong, I love my car simply because it's an audi. I couldn't care less about if I've got 'cheating software or not. Although I'll take money if it's on its way to me

They did not dupe the general public just the Euro5 qualification requirement. It does not effect what you pay at the pump or road fund licence.
Do you have a signed contract between yourself and Audi where you personaly specify one of the requirements is that it meets Euro5 regulations ?

Reactions: jdp1962
TE="ianv5, post: 2584365, member: 84570"]Get over it! Life's to short, just enjoy your car!
Dont get me wrong, I love my car simply because it's an audi. I couldn't care less about if I've got 'cheating software or not. Although I'll take money if it's on its way to me[/QUOTE]
But you haven't thought it through. If you are going to claim you've been mis-sold you car, are you willing to accept the consequences of success? By that, I mean unwind the sale and hand back the car to the party that mis-sold it in return for a refund of the money you paid for it?

They did not dupe the general public just the Euro5 qualification

So that kind of 'deceit' is ok then is it?

jdp1962 No, I don't 'prefer' a world like that, Don't know where you've been hiding but if you open your eyes the world has been gradually getting like that for years.
Yes I would take it back for a full refund, I have nothing to lose.

Anyway I certainly haven't come on here to argue with people who simply don't share my views, each to their own as they say!

I find this offensive and as such I'm suing the OP for the offence has caused. I've not suffered any financial detriment but following the yanks where you can sue and get some compo anyway....I'll just have that. It's free money after all and I want some.

I'm also suing audi-sport as there is talk about audi on here but not much sport.

I'm also suing the RUFC because I feel upset about the rugby and I deserve some forms of compensation for my hurt feelings.

I'm going to sue audi too as I keep getting filthy hands from all the brake dust on my wheels and I got some on my jeans, so I want those jeans paid for and also some compo for the hassle.

I'm sure there are some others out there, so watch it!!

Reactions: briantwigley, CHEZ, Sandra and 4 others
So that kind of 'deceit' is ok then is it?

jdp1962 No, I don't 'prefer' a world like that, Don't know where you've been hiding but if you open your eyes the world has been gradually getting like that for years.
Yes I would take it back for a full refund, I have nothing to lose.

Anyway I certainly haven't come on here to argue with people who simply don't share my views, each to their own as they say!
@Luke2.0tdi2010, each to their own, indeed. I fear we may never agree, so to continue to debate it (it's not arguing :) ) is a waste of driving time.

Reactions: Luke2.0tdi2010 and ruairi83
Hmmm.......Thanks for the lively views

But “If it emerges that these cars in the UK passed tests because of this software, with emissions higher than legally permitted on the roads, then this is not only a breach of contract but a flagrant breach of EU emissions regulations, which specifically prohibit the use of defeat devices. Consumers are thus entitled to bring claims for compensation directly against VW.

Consumers could be entitled to seek compensation for any increased fuel costs, depreciation of vehicle value, out of pocket expenses and costs associated with future repair including potential increases in vehicle excise duty.

"Those drivers who were charged more for the ‘clean diesel’ version of a vehicle could also be entitled to a refund of the difference in price.

Do we sit back and let them get away with just they wrist slapped?

After all we ALL paid a premium price for a prestigious trusted brand.

Let the debate continue........... :greyrs4:...............

What an utter load of ********.

Virtually everyone on this forum is interested in changing the performance of their car. Chipping, DTUK and similar boxes, lowering, wheel spacers, wider tyres, modified exhausts, decat/DPF gutting all change the environmental impact of the car.

I cannot recall anyone asking about keeping their car in line with the EU regs and type approval compliance!

Reactions: Garry Houseman, ub7rm and ianv5
Hmmm.......Thanks for the lively views

But “If it emerges that these cars in the UK passed tests because of this software, with emissions higher than legally permitted on the roads, then this is not only a breach of contract but a flagrant breach of EU emissions regulations, which specifically prohibit the use of defeat devices. Consumers are thus entitled to bring claims for compensation directly against VW.

Consumers could be entitled to seek compensation for any increased fuel costs, depreciation of vehicle value, out of pocket expenses and costs associated with future repair including potential increases in vehicle excise duty.

"Those drivers who were charged more for the ‘clean diesel’ version of a vehicle could also be entitled to a refund of the difference in price.

Do we sit back and let them get away with just they wrist slapped?

After all we ALL paid a premium price for a prestigious trusted brand.

Let the debate continue........... :greyrs4:...............
Sorry, but is it just me that thinks you are linked to a claims company. Your lack of post count and your terminology make me suspicious of your intent with the initial post.

Reactions: ub7rm, mister.c., ianv5 and 2 others
I'd actually vote to get out of the E.U. in a flash when the opportunity arises. Not before I've had me compo though....lol.

Can anyone help,
Just wondering how I go about keeping my car in line with the E.U. emissions regs? :tonguewink:
Joking aside, I suspect the only way anyone can keep their car within EU regs is only ever to drive it in laboratory conditions. That's certainly the only way I'll ever see 36mpg.

They'll be no increase in VED, no out of pocket expenses, increased fuel costs or any higher chance of it needing future repair. The only thing I can see is devalue - there are so many effected cars over different marques and why would it alter the value anyway? The car isn't doing any less than it was before and virtually no one cares how clean diesels are....In fact we all know they are cancer machines.

And Audi are going out of their way to correct the issue free of charge, at massive expense to themselves. What's the problem? You don't even need to take them up on the offer of recall. There is ZERO effect to the consumer, the effect and cost is to regulations due to fines and reputational damage.

Reactions: Garry Houseman
Joking aside, I suspect the only way anyone can keep their car within EU regs is only ever to drive it in laboratory conditions. That's certainly the only way I'll ever see 36mpg.
I've never been much of a 'tree hugger' I'm just happy with the car I have, whatever mpg I get. I'm not much of an 'environmently friendly' type, particularly when I don't agree with the fact my car is the reason the 'ice shelf is melting'..... if it IS melting, it's a natural thing not caused by me not buying a bag for life!

We all lie about our emissions anyway. I usually blame the dog.

Reactions: 45bvtc, Sandra, desertstorm and 1 other person
I've never been much of a 'tree hugger' I'm just happy with the car I have, whatever mpg I get. I'm not much of an 'environmently friendly' type, particularly when I don't agree with the fact my car is the reason the 'ice shelf is melting'..... if it IS melting, it's a natural thing not caused by me not buying a bag for life!
The main reason the ice cap is melting is because for the past 10,000 years or so, the earth has been gradually emerging from an ice-age.

The main reason the ice cap is melting is because for the past 10,000 years or so, the earth has been gradually emerging from an ice-age.
You say that, but my mate Chris reved his corsa the other day and the earth's core increased by 4degrees.

Reactions: 45bvtc and CHEZ
I'm heartened by the number of sensible minded people in this thread. The money for nothing mentality of some is frankly sickening.

Reactions: 45bvtc, Luke2.0tdi2010, Scott.T and 1 other person
This thread is extremely banterful, I love it :haha:

My car is clean so I'm just sitting back with my big box of toffee popcorn here :hubbahubba: