VTEC - worth the hype?

M

Michael O'Connor

Never experienced it myself... Having seen a lot of vids on Youtube of Integras, Civics etc, it looks pretty cool and in those videos you can see where it kicks in, looks pretty aggressive haha. I love Audis and will probably be staying with them, S3 or 3.2 A3 as next car, but am really curious to see what a VTEC engine is really like.

Anyone? :D

Vtec a are fun to drive as they are light weight and chuck able it's the experience the way they Rev out reminds me of the s85 but that's in another league with sound

I had an Accord type R many years ago.
Sounded mental when the extra cam lift came in, but it was difficult to keep it in that band and you sounded like a complete twerp thrashing it about everywhere.
Out of the power band it was gutless. Stick with a turbo......so much easier to drive!

Reactions: AudiSpy and RS4B5
It's personal preference but... yes. VTEC is a really fun drive and IS worth the hype. I am bias that my current every day car is a Civic Type R (my second FN2).

Why? Because the engine is hilarious, I really like the design of the exterior, the interior is interesting and the seats are comfy. It's annoyingly practical in terms of size and economy and it's reliable. In my opinion its good at everything. Compared to a Turbo it isn't fast, but there is something quite special about 8,000 revs.

Don't worry the Q5 is sat next to it, i'm not here without an Audi but i'm a Honda fan too! Anyway i'll sit back and wait for the abuse now :thumbs up:

@-Ju- i've got close to buying an Accord Type R a couple of times as a nice classic. I think they are/will become more of a collectors classic in the next few years and appreciate in value.

PS if you're near Milton Keynes i'll gladly take you out in it :)

Reactions: RS4B5
@-Ju- i've got close to buying an Accord Type R a couple of times as a nice classic. I think they are/will become more of a collectors classic in the next few years and appreciate in value.

PS if you're near Milton Keynes i'll gladly take you out in it :)
Mine was the PFL one with the separate lips on the bumpers, looked so much nicer than the FL model with the one piece bumpers! Best seats I ever sat in.....apart from the armchairs in my R36:whistle2:
111 1186

Don't get these so called sporty FN2 and S2000 etc when even a remapped 1.9PD can keep with thus embarrass them .

No 1.9tdi with just a map is embarrassing an S2000 or FN2 :huh: think you've been reading too much into my thread (and my car doesn't have "just a map" http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/beating-a-civic-type-r.369533/) I have been in my friends Civic when much slower car's have overtaken him... and he's had a sticking caliper with glowing red discs, then theirs the tuning of cars with VTEC to lower when it kicks in, etc.

Personal experience , FN2 & S2000 .

178.5 bhp from std turbo and more than 100 ftlb of torque more than S2000 .

April fool's was over a week ago Gaz.

Edit: for the record Gaz has only just added in these supposed stats to the above post, I work off facts and figures to which he supplied none at the time this post, still don't believe he or anyone else with "just a map" is coming anywhere close to "embarrassing" S2000's plus anyone who frequents the forum will be aware of some of the tosh Gaz says.

Last edited:
April fool's was over a week ago Gaz.

Edit: for the record Gaz has only just added in these supposed stats to the above post, I work off facts and figures to which he supplied none at the time this post, still don't believe he or anyone else with "just a map" is coming anywhere close to "embarrassing" S2000's plus anyone who frequents the forum will be aware of some of the tosh Gaz says.

What are you having difficulty with understanding ?

Heeeeeeere we go, what's next you'd beat me with a Fabia VRs with a remap? : )

Reactions: RS4B5, DieselJake and Sandra
But what happens when you turbo a k20 woooooooooOOOOOOOOOAAAAH

Reactions: DieselJake
Some of the turbo kits for them are insanely tempting, could get an ep3 and turbo it for under 5k but I know allot of people slate some of the things in the cheap kits plus I'd imagine the sump probably needs drilling into and most likely a few more complicated bits and bobs.

I don't see a 1.9 catching this anytime soon Especially with man like Ricky behind the wheel

Can't forget about the dmo shift if you know then you know

Nothing beats a tuned N/A B16 though. It's all about power to weight. It would dump all over a remapped 1.9.

My first car was an EF9 civic import with b18c6 camshafts, 4 branch manifold and exhaust with stripped out interior. Was a go kart around the corners and pretty rapid if you know how to drive a Honda.

There is no way a remapped 1.9 would take it unless they both start in 5 gear at 40mph.

Reactions: DieselJake and RS4B5