Volkswagen racing big brake kit problem (urgent)

Rs3Dude

Reaction score
Hi guys got an urgent problem for those in the know.

I've had my VWR big brake kit iunstalled back on to my s3, however the break pedal goes straight to the floor. The idiot mechanic who who installed the kit from another car must of stretched the braided brake hose pipe on passenger side too far.

The AA guy said the following:

"Nearside front brake pipe ferrule sheared in hose. Vehicle will need new nearside front brake pipe ferrule and hose replacing, if replacing with rubber hoses will require both sides"

The BBK is coming off in a couple of days and standard s3 brakes will go on but I need to use the car tommorrow, he said if I need to get back on the road ASAP and I'm not using the car for track racing then I can put Audi required parts above is that true?

Something about not needing metal braided performance hose for the Volkswagen racing kit to replace the affected one due to not using the car on track.

If so can someone tell me if this is true and can I buy the parts from ECP/tps tommorrow.

sorry I'm not mechanical minded so this post might sound confusing.

Suspect the brake line has been routed wrongly or is too short for the application if it's come off a different car. On full lock it may be stretched.
Looking at the VWR site the brake pipes look like this
https://daks2k3a4ib2z.cloudfront.ne...571f549f32f3429547747701_Brake Line Pic 1.jpg
A standard hose will have M10x1 fittings on with a male at one end and female at the other. They don't use banjo bolts on the standard calipers.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-8...org-Beck-Front-Left-Brake-Hose-/291782081498?
Having a braided hose on one side and a normal hose on the other may make a small difference in applied pressure at the caliper but only when braking very hard when the high pressure may make the non braided hose swell a little.
I would replace both hoses if it was mine as You wouldn't want an issue at high speed on a track.
If the thread was a 10 x 1 on the VWR caliper you could screw in a standard hose but it would be sticking out at 90 degrees from the caliper which is why they use banjo fittings on the application.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-S...BRAKE-KIT-CALIPERS-345MM-DISCS-/401181609570?

Don't codge brakes it's not worth it, sounds like you were lucky this time.

Thanks for your reply. Yes so when they installed the VWR BBK back on, they did a complete cowboys job on it resulting in the hose pipe being stretched beyond use.

The VWR hose pipe.. would using a stock s3 pipe work on the kit as I really need to use the car until I can source a replacement VWR part if ness..

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6505.JPG
    IMG_6505.JPG
    685.6 KB · Views: 112
I am not sure a standard S3 hose would be long enough. If you look at the Ebay link I posted with a standard S3 caliper you can see the hose connects to a metal pipe that connects to the caliper. So I suspect a standard length hose may not be long enough. Measure the length of one of the VW Racing hoses.