virtual dash

bokoboy

Reaction score
Would it be a deal breaker to many on here who found a well specked car at good money ??
Is it all it’s cracked up to be ?

Opinions please :icon thumright:

Would it be a deal breaker to many on here who found a well specked car at good money ??

I put a VD on a par with Dynamic pack , Pano Roof and Mag ride. VD is great but if I had a choice of the options mentioned it would be Pano Roof every time. I had VD for 18 months on a B9 A4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had VD for 18 months

Stronger creams needed? :D

Don't forget that VC comes with tech pack so it's not 'just' the VC. You're also getting connect, jukebox etc.

Reactions: Zak0123, Daveotto, Jassyo06 and 5 others
I don't have it on my S3 but did on a Q2 courtesy car. It looks kinda cool, but would I spend the extra on it (I think its a grand but might be wrong..) - then no.

I didn't mess around with it too long but the biggest selling point seemed to be that you can have google maps in front of you. Don't care about that as got the MMI screen. When it comes down in price in the future no doubt, then sure.

Some love VC, some don't.
I ordered it on mine and as mentioned above it comes as part of the Tech Pack Advanced and I am a big fan. The customisation options are good when used in conjunction with the pop up screen. It's not cheap though when ordered from new but if you're getting it on a used car you won't pay a big premium.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and DrMal
I bought my car a year old, it has VC. I wasn’t overly sold on it but had it because I think it’ll probably make some difference when coming to sell car in future! After having the car a couple of weeks I don’t know how I coped with normal dials! ****** brilliant

Reactions: DrMal
I am as @Audi Bairn stated one who did not option VC. As I prefer the standard dials look and the dash looks kind of odd when not powered up, but regardless of that it was a pricey option package for me in Canada, over 2,300 quid and I preferred to spend my cash on Ara Blue paint and options I would use. The one thing I do regret that in that VC package was the B&O and that could not be optioned as a stand alone option.
But to each their own.

I think with most new Audi's being launched now, it's going to become a more 'standard' feature so I think it will add value come re-sale time. I would probably go as far to say that non VC cars, may seem 'dated' to some buyers, but I'm sure most won't give a toss.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Honestly prefair analog dials. Seems we are back in the 70/80's with the invention of the digital watch.

For me no, but for others yes.........
Like all new shiny things/wives/girlfriends you can get very excited at the beginning but after a while you set it to your preferred setting and leave it. If I were buying an S3 without it I might use it as a bargaining chip just for a bit of fun.
But then I don't even have sat nav in mine so maybe my input is worthless!
VC will become standard but don't worry Audi will charge everybody for the 'progress'.

Reactions: Alva78 and Jassyo06
I don't have it - but wife's TT has it and every time I drive that car, the virtual cockpit never fails to impress me its fantastic !

If I were buying a new Audi now, I would have to have it 100% :icon thumright:

I don't have it - but wife's TT has it and every time I drive that car, the virtual cockpit never fails to impress me its fantastic !

If I were buying a new Audi now, I would have to have it 100% :icon thumright:

It is really good. If money no option but if on a budget I would put Pano Roof at the top of my list for enjoyment closely followed by B&O... fortunately the RS4 will have all three!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin
What do people love about it so much? What view(s) do you use that make it worthwhile (functionality increase), or you just have 2 large dials but it just looks cooler :p
- genuine question

I wouldn't have got an S3 or even considered it if I hadn't sat in one and seen the VC. It's brilliant, and it feels like the future. I'm not even sure if it's intrinsically good or not, I just know that any other car that has analogue dials now feels like a significant downgrade when I look at it.

I wouldn't have got an S3 or even considered it if I hadn't sat in one and seen the VC. It's brilliant, and it feels like the future. I'm not even sure if it's intrinsically good or not, I just know that any other car that has analogue dials now feels like a significant downgrade when I look at it.
The Virtual Cockpit in the 8V looks a bit of an afterthought when compared to the B9 RS/S/A4 and TT.

The answer to your question NO it would not matter at all,, as far as options go tech pack isn't in the Premier League, colour, alloys, magride pano roof,, seatss etc etc bang&Olufsen ... do

Reactions: jungle650 and Snake Pliskin
I went out of the way to get a used one with VC. Do I ever use it? Not really. It has the shiny toy factor for other people when they're in the car. At least the other things included with the tech pack - the hard drive, connect etc... I use all the time.

I don't even understand the point of the "jukebox" really. It's less than 16GB as far as I remember and you need to have another device anyway to copy songs onto it with... Why would you bother putting songs onto an SD card and then copying to Jukebox when you could just leave them on SD which no doubt is double the storage capacity.

I don't even understand the point of the "jukebox" really. It's less than 16GB as far as I remember and you need to have another device anyway to copy songs onto it with... Why would you bother putting songs onto an SD card and then copying to Jukebox when you could just leave them on SD which no doubt is double the storage capacity.
It would be better if you could have in car apps, like iTunes and then download directly onto it.

I would love it in my A3. However, if I was keeping my car for 5-10yrs then I wouldn't spec it. Tech is progressing at a fast rate in cars and I still doubt that the VC will look great in a few yrs time. Reviewers are already saying the flip out MMI is looking dated in the new A3 so how long till they pick on the VC. It will get laggy, tech will move on and it will be like owning an iPhone 5 when the X is out. Now what I would think would be great is if Audi made VC a modular concept, so you could change the graphics cards etc and essentially update the system, of course this won't happen as it would prob hinder future sales. Anyway, if I bought for long term then no I wouldn't spec it, If it was for 3yrs or PCP deal then yes I totally would.

I would love it in my A3. However, if I was keeping my car for 5-10yrs then I wouldn't spec it. Tech is progressing at a fast rate in cars and I still doubt that the VC will look great in a few yrs time. Reviewers are already saying the flip out MMI is looking dated in the new A3 so how long till they pick on the VC. It will get laggy, tech will move on and it will be like owning an iPhone 5 when the X is out. Now what I would think would be great is if Audi made VC a modular concept, so you could change the graphics cards etc and essentially update the system, of course this won't happen as it would prob hinder future sales. Anyway, if I bought for long term then no I wouldn't spec it, If it was for 3yrs or PCP deal then yes I totally would.
I don't see how the VC can get laggy. It's not like a phone where you are adding data and apps to it demanding more from the processor, it is a closed system, so will always perform the same. I'm sure newer systems will make it look less impressive by comparison over time, but by that argument, analogue dashes will look even older.

I don't see how the VC can get laggy. It's not like a phone where you are adding data and apps to it demanding more from the processor, it is a closed system, so will always perform the same. I'm sure newer systems will make it look less impressive by comparison over time, but by that argument, analogue dashes will look even older.

Googlemaps, all the maps and data it receives via Audi Connect will become bigger in size/data therefore slow the system down. Graphics will look outdated and soon appear old and pixelated. Performance will deteriorate with age. Perhaps it won't become laggy as much as I think it will, but performance will increase so much in newer models that it will make the current VC at least give the impression that its running slower. Again, you must have had an old computer that you have used for ages that you think is working fine, until you pick up a new model. Suddenly your old computer is laggy and performs worse than you thought. Teslas system is miles ahead of the VC and pretty future proof for a while. They also provide constant software updates which the system can deal with. Cant see VC being able to handle much more than what it can currently do.

What do people love about it so much? What view(s) do you use that make it worthwhile (functionality increase), or you just have 2 large dials but it just looks cooler :p
- genuine question

VC - I use Nav quite a bit and i find the ability to get the map in between the dials really useful., this means I can use the central display for Spotify.
I spent an hour in queuing traffic yesterday and playing around with the various screen configurations helped to pass the time.

Agreed. Plus in 5 - 10 years time the whole car will look well out of date anyway so the VC would be the least of my concerns.

Because there's a limit to the number of files in any one directory on an SD in the MMI. There's not the same limit in the jukebox for some reason.