Virtual Cockpit upgrade?

SuperKid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an A3 that is the 2017 build with "Technology pack" so it has wireless charging, MMI navigation plus and by the looks all the features of "Technology pack" except for the "Virtual cockpit".

I am not sure why it didn't include the Virtual cockpit but this car I bought used, 9 months and appears to be one of the first facelift Audi A3 built last year for 2017. (so maybe they didn't have it at the time).

I was wondering how likely is it to get my dealer to upgrade it to the Virtual cockpit if I offered to pay for it of course? Surely it has all the options required already?

Also, the car is on PCP so I couldn't do it myself if I decide to return the car as to why I'd get the garage/dealer to do it and if they could do it why would they refuse it wouldn't exactly damage them being able to resell it when I return it?

Any thoughts?

I think tech pack advanced was the one you had to have the virtual cockpit with.

@DJAlix can retrofit the virtual cockpit. Can't see Audi having any problem if it's done properly.

Reactions: neil989
I think tech pack advanced was the one you had to have the virtual cockpit with.

@DJAlix can retrofit the virtual cockpit. Can't see Audi having any problem if it's done properly.

As far as I'm aware there is only tech pack advanced was there just a tech pack option previously? the virtual cockpit is the only missing part I have.

As far as I'm aware there is only tech pack advanced was there just a tech pack option previously? the virtual cockpit is the only missing part I have.

Nope, still tech pack and tech pack advanced on the facelift, I made sure to spec advanced when ordering my S3 last July.

Reactions: Rolly12 and Tom.H
If it helps, my mates FL saloon has tech pack advanced but no VC... it was one of the earlier FL's.

Reactions: SuperKid
Nope, still tech pack and tech pack advanced on the facelift, I made sure to spec advanced when ordering my S3 last July.

Oh I see, not seen this on the website maybe when you order from the dealer then?

Anyone know cost for retrofit virtual cockpit?

If it helps, my mates FL saloon has tech pack advanced but no VC... it was one of the earlier FL's.

Same as mine then, thanks. Didn't think I'd be bothered about it but now 4 months having the car as I am a tech nerd i'd love it... may just have to put up without it or fork out on a retrofit!

Thinking about it, I'm not sure if VC was offered straight away on the FL?

Reactions: SuperKid
Pretty sure it was, I ordered mine before there were brochures...

VC was one of the facelift halo features for all of the marketing material.

Reactions: Tom.H
Pretty sure it was, I ordered mine before there were brochures...

VC was one of the facelift halo features for all of the marketing material.

Ah ok, I'm sure there was something that got added after.

Just looked actually and there is only the Tech Pack now but you need VC and the phone box with it.

Eh? What is all this talk of Tech Pack and Tech Pack Advanced?

There is currently only a single "Technology Pack" option on the A3/S3 which is £1395 and includes the Virtual Cockpit. There is no mention of an alternative "Advanced" variant anywhere in the brochure.

Tech pack advanced disappeared some time in 2017 I believe.

Used to be a Tech Pack at roughly £1k, and Tech Pack Advanced at £1.4k

This is now gone, in favour of a single tech pack.

Reactions: TDI-line and Timi8888
Ah ok. Sounds just like Audi to change everything with the FL then fiddle with it all again only a year later. Hopeless.

Has anyone got a pricelist from the original FL? Be interesting to compare.

I see. I think you're correct. They had Tech Pack and Tech pack advanced on the earlier facelifts, then changed to just a single Tech Pack option!

Did the change coincide with making the 7" screen standard or did that come in with the FL?

This is correct. Just confirmed with my car salesman mate at Audi lol.

So OP, you must have just got the option of tech pack, not tech pack advanced.

All this discussion is of course irrelevant to the OP's actual question.

To that end - no, there's absolutely zero change the dealer will fit the VC. Factory-fit options are just that and dealers won't retro-fit them afterward.

This is correct. Just confirmed with my car salesman mate at Audi lol.

So OP, you must have just got the option of tech pack, not tech pack advanced.
According to Audi UK Standard and Advanced still exist, standard being SD card based Nav and Techpack being HDD. Both units, Delphie and Harman, now use the same video card so can both drive the same 7" screen.

According to Audi UK Standard and Advanced still exist, standard being SD card based Nav and Techpack being HDD. Both units, Delphie and Harman, now use the same video card so can both drive the same 7" screen.

As in only one tech pack option?

Attachments

• IMG_9469.PNG
    IMG_9469.PNG
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,071
is it possible to retrofit the Vc in an S3 2017 Facelift without Navigation?

That is correct bud.

We all got excited on the FL configurator with thoughts of adding VC for £395.00 with NO Tech pack, sadly computer said no.

Yup :) Its actually possible to retrofit VC with PFL MMI units all be it with limitations.
What type of limitations and what is the rough cost? I opted out of VC as it would have taken me over the VED line (thus becoming a very expensive option).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What type of limitations and what is the rough cost? I opted out of VC as it would have taken me over the VED line (thus becoming a very expensive option).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Am working on a pre-facelift and facelift vehicle Virtual Cockpit retrofit FAQ at the moment and will publish within my sponsor section / website very soon.

Reactions: mitja_s3, Steaman and Astraeus
Anybody know how to change the virtual cockpit mode from E-Tron to TDI?
Can buy a VC relative cheap from an E-Tron.

B4 buying i want to know is this is possible/easy with VCDS..

Anybody know how to change the virtual cockpit mode from E-Tron to TDI?
Can buy a VC relative cheap from an E-Tron.

B4 buying i want to know is this is possible/easy with VCDS..
You are gonna need a lot more than VCDS to install the VC let alone change the mode. Unless you have access to dealership tools you should seek out the assistance of a professional retrofitter.

I did look a bit into this as I considered getting a VC retrofit for my PFL S3. It can be done technically, however it is a very complex affair and depending on the current components in your car you might also need a new MIB, AMI, pop-up screen, steering wheel, central console, etc. and I am not even talking about the amount of re-coding and tampering with the car's critical and therefore protected data.

Only a professional retrofitting company would be able to perform such a task and I don't think a dealer would even attempt it.

Regarding the pricing, you would probably be anywhere between 1K-3K. Note that I did not get a proper quotation and besides it would vary depending on each car's internals, so this is only my ballpark guess based on the price of the components I found on eBay plus my estimate for the labour. I could be completely wrong, but bear in mind the factory fitted option is already £1,395 and even if you are lucky enough to have most of the right components apart from the VC module itself, this is not a plug and play upgrade. In my particular case, I believe I would be more around 2K-2.5K even though I have the MY16 Technology Pack, because the MIB is the previous version, so is the AMI, so is the PhoneBox, I think the 7" screen needs to be upgraded to a higher resolution one, etc.

It will be very interesting to read DJAlix's FAQ, but personally I have concluded that it is not worth doing with my car and it is rather something I will want factory fitted in the next car.

The VC can be upgraded to pfl. No need to upgrade mmi, (maps are 1/2 the screen on the vc) The steering wheel can stay, altough you'll miss the view function and it will limit the functionality of the VC. The Screen (mmi+) can stay.

I know i need a trip to the dealer to remove CP.

Better wait for a TDI VC?

The VC can be upgraded to pfl. No need to upgrade mmi, (maps are 1/2 the screen on the vc) The steering wheel can stay, altough you'll miss the view function and it will limit the functionality of the VC. The Screen (mmi+) can stay.

I know i need a trip to the dealer to remove CP.

Better wait for a TDI VC?
If you are not installing the supporting modifications then there is no point in installing the VC? You will only have a single view mode, what ever its been left on after the installation with no way of really controlling / configuring it. Basically you will be replacing analogue clocks with a digital representation of the clocks.

MMI and MMI screen needs to be changed if you don't already have MMI technology pack and want maps and media information to display within the VC.

Correct, component protection will need to be removed from the VC unit. Most dealers will not touch this but if you have one lined up then thats good.

TDI, TFSI, E-Tron, S/RS Virtual cockpits are all the same and a good retrofitter will know how to change the logos and displayable options.

Reactions: T-800
I will be upgrading the steering wheel and eventually the MMI to mib2. All in time..
I have the steering wheel but no airbag jet.. The buttons don't fit the pfl wheel..

It is not as simpel as changing the normal cockpit to S3/ RS3/E-tron/CMG?

I will be upgrading the steering wheel and eventually the MMI to mib2. All in time..
I have the steering wheel but no airbag jet.. The buttons don't fit the pfl wheel..

It is not as simpel as changing the normal cockpit to S3/ RS3/E-tron/CMG?
Cool cool. Personally I would collect all the parts and then complete the install in one go, thats what a lot of my customers do. Changing a VC from one variant to another is more than just 1 setting. A good retrofitter will know whats needed. One thing to note, your displayed milage cannot be adjusted. Your VC will start counting from the number it comes supplied with. ECU milage will be correct.