Facelift Virtual Cockpit Scratches

Bells

Reaction score
So I jumped in my car this morning and in the bright sunshine I noticed how dusty my VC screen was so I wiped it down with my screen micro fibre cloth as normal, only to see a big scratch on the right hand side that I’d never seen before.

Pretty miffed I drove to my meeting (scratch is hardly visible when screen is on). Got back in my car again afterwards and with the sunhine less bright the scratch isn’t visible anymore :wtf: the only way I can see the scratch now is when I shine my phone flash over the screen and you can catch it showing up.

It’s really weird sort of like under the surface of the screen and won’t show unless light is hitting it, but I know it is there now and it’ll annoy me no end, so has anyone got any ideas on how to fix it? Is the glass replaceable without buying a whole new unit from Audi?

So I jumped in my car this morning and in the bright sunshine I noticed how dusty my VC screen was so I wiped it down with my screen micro fibre cloth as normal, only to see a big scratch on the right hand side that I’d never seen before.

Pretty miffed I drove to my meeting (scratch is hardly visible when screen is on). Got back in my car again afterwards and with the sunhine less bright the scratch isn’t visible anymore :wtf: the only way I can see the scratch now is when I shine my phone flash over the screen and you can catch it showing up.

It’s really weird sort of like under the surface of the screen and won’t show unless light is hitting it, but I know it is there now and it’ll annoy me no end, so has anyone got any ideas on how to fix it? Is the glass replaceable without buying a whole new unit from Audi?
I know exactly what you mean, the same is on my normal display. Sun caught it right one day when the ignition was off and it was covered in light scratches where I'd used a detailing brush on it. I left it alone as not to make it worse.

Reactions: Bells
Not sure what the coating on the vc(not used my car in ages)is like but if it’s like the clear plastic window in normal dials I’ve had good results with plastic scratch removers. A bit extreme to replace the whole vc for something not that noticeable. Around £8-900 for a new vc then possibly hundreds more for coding and mileage correction.

The VC screen is more like a normal computer monitor with non-glossy surface. I wouldn't use any scratch removers on that to be honest.

The VC screen is more like a normal computer monitor with non-glossy surface. I wouldn't use any scratch removers on that to be honest.

Turns there’s not much can be done then.
My work monitors is covered in scratches cause cleaners is cleaning them with a dirty rag. Annoys the crap out of me.
I can see how that could annoy my OCD.
Get my camera lens blower out to clear the dust off mine rather than wipe it when the time comes.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t really be using micro fibre cloths on these types of things anyway. I would never use one on my laptop or tv so never on the VC or interior screens. They are great to pick up dirt easily or wipe windows etc but not fragile screens. I use the small cloth that comes with glasses to wipe mine. Have a few spare so one stays in the car for this ourpose. Never use any liquids or other types of materials as it can take off protective coatings as my girlfriend found out when she wiped her MacBook with a wet wipe that contained alcohol!!

Shouldn’t really be using micro fibre cloths on these types of things anyway.
Agreed. Unfortunately I'm far too poor to be able to afford a virtual cockpit, but even so I wouldn't use a microfibre cloth on the instrument panel.

If you try extremely hard not to sneeze on the instruments or stand a can of pop on the steering wheel boss while opening it, one of those disposable fluffy dusters does a bang-up of getting rid of dust without having to wipe anything.

Save the wiping for cleaning up the results of your sneeze once you've found out where it went.

Reactions: JohnM100
I find Pledge dry dusting cloths very good for cleaning things like this. Certainly works wonders on piano black trim. :)

Mate if for 95% of the time you can’t see it I wouldn’t worry about it. I get that you know it’s there, but at what cost are you prepared to know that it isn’t?

Things like that bug the hell out of me as well, but realistically weigh up the cost vs the benefit.

I’d forget about it, but that’s just me.

Reactions: RS3 S., Bells and Ron240
Mate if for 95% of the time you can’t see it I wouldn’t worry about it. I get that you know it’s there, but at what cost are you prepared to know that it isn’t?

Things like that bug the hell out of me as well, but realistically weigh up the cost vs the benefit.

I’d forget about it, but that’s just me.
Yeah I know you make a sensible point, can’t justify spending a fortune on fixing it, especially if I can’t really see it when the screen is on.

I just can’t understand how it’s happened, the cloth I use is a glasses type microfibre cloth, used the same type on my phone loads and never gotten scratched.

Reactions: RS3 S.
I know exactly what you mean, the same is on my normal display. Sun caught it right one day when the ignition was off and it was covered in light scratches where I'd used a detailing brush on it. I left it alone as not to make it worse.
Yeah I think I’ll leave mine be, just strange I’d never noticed it before today. Makes me wonder whether it happened the other month when my car was the garage to sort a rattle and they ended up having part of the dash out, impossible to prove though.

Just bought a car with the same.

no way of buffing these out somehow?

Looking at this pic wouldn’t it just be the front frame which needs replacing:
Upload 2019 9 5 21 20 21

Guessing no part numbers about for this?

Just bought a car with the same.

no way of buffing these out somehow?

Looking at this pic wouldn’t it just be the front frame which needs replacing:
View attachment 190019

Guessing no part numbers about for this?

The front frame is hollow straight to the screen by the looks of it.
It looks and feels like the actual screen that can get scratched on mine. Like a pc monitor or laptop screen so only fix is replace the screen.

The VC is basically like the matte LCD type screens you used to get on laptops. It’s not protected in anyway. As it has a matte / anti-glare finish I would not be looking to polish it. Only way I can think to cover up any scratches would be to add a plastic tablet type screen protector.

I use the small cloth that comes with glasses to wipe mine.
Audi are dishing out cloths like these now for the touch screens. Google "Audi screen cleaning cloth". I got one given, it's a good size and does a good job of cleaning my none VC and MMI.

Something like this?! I just noticed this in my brand new Q3! Pretty annoyed about this as I’m sure i didn’t cause it. Wife says she saw it before we left the dealership but didn’t bother mentioning. Do you think they would replace this Or fix somehow? Curious what you did.

Attachments

• 91CDDFDB-0229-4FFB-B510-C43A58A9A841.jpeg
    91CDDFDB-0229-4FFB-B510-C43A58A9A841.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 467
  • E374C3D7-5B62-4082-8FE8-4AFF6FC34DEE.jpeg
    E374C3D7-5B62-4082-8FE8-4AFF6FC34DEE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 316
I’d be taking that back to your dealer and asking them to replace the screen under warranty, as those scratches are totally unacceptable in a brand new car!

Something like this?! I just noticed this in my brand new Q3! Pretty annoyed about this as I’m sure i didn’t cause it. Wife says she saw it before we left the dealership but didn’t bother mentioning. Do you think they would replace this Or fix somehow? Curious what you did.
Mine turned out to be the anti-glare coating on the actual screen, you have to be really careful cleaning the screen as it’s pretty fragile.

You might get away with replacing the surround on yours if it’s detachable, if it’s not a whole new unit is in excess of £2k. Fingers crossed you get it sorted on a brand new car that’s unacceptable but you’ll struggle to prove it was done before pickup if you didn’t mention it at the time - good luck!

Mine turned out to be the anti-glare coating on the actual screen, you have to be really careful cleaning the screen as it’s pretty fragile.

You might get away with replacing the surround on yours if it’s detachable, if it’s not a whole new unit is in excess of £2k. Fingers crossed you get it sorted on a brand new car that’s unacceptable but you’ll struggle to prove it was done before pickup if you didn’t mention it at the time - good luck!
Can use the following to remove the coating, or indeed don’t use the following on your cockpit as they will remove the coating lol

F6D60FFF D2D4 4FBF B990 577135DB0AE2EB37A55C 01A6 4ED7 8441 DC3C6F469A7B32A84C5B 42DD 4B22 82CE 007D43F6642C

Reactions: Bells and 8YARWY
Can use the following to remove the coating, or indeed don’t use the following on your cockpit as they will remove the coating lol

View attachment 239407View attachment 239406View attachment 239408
732D65AE 115E 446E 81A3 9F3392004494

Also used this with great success on my S5 centre screen which was covered in scratches and very patchy in the left hand corner. I nearly ordered a replacement used screen at a cost of £300+ before I spoke to you on the phone, removed all the anti glare and it came up as good as new and still looks mint 6 months later - so thank you! :icon thumright:

View attachment 239439
Also used this with great success on my S5 centre screen which was covered in scratches and very patchy in the left hand corner. I nearly ordered a replacement used screen at a cost of £300+ before I spoke to you on the phone, removed all the anti glare and it came up as good as new and still looks mint 6 months later - so thank you! :icon thumright:
Aren’t they suppose to have anti-glare on them so the sun doesn’t reflect and blind you or obscure the info on the virtual dash?

Also wouldn’t replacement be costly as would have to adapt the miles and have it coded to the car and approved by Audi? or did you mean just the screen part of your existing virtual cockpit rather than a whole new cluster? Thinking of fitting one in my car.

Last edited:
Aren’t they suppose to have anti-glare on them so the sun doesn’t reflect and blind you or obscure the info on the virtual dash?
I imagine so on the virtual dash so your Speedo isn’t ever obscured etc.

Saying that I’ve not noticed any difference since removing the anti glare on my central screen. Had considered installing an anti glare screen protector but I’ve never bothered as it hasn’t been a issue.