Virtual Cockpit opinions

AidenL

Reaction score
Hi all,

new here, just joined.

Thinking about ordering an A4 150 Line Stronic with some packs.

Very tempted by the Tech Pack and the Virtual Cockpit. Ive added Apple CarPlay anyway at €400.

Im in Ireland and its € 2500 extra here , less the CarPlay cost, so €2.1k - quite a lot, equating to € 60 per month on PCP.

Just wondering if you guys think its worth that, and for any of you who have it, what are you finding are the advantages over the standard dash.

I like it, but mainly because I prefer switching off the main screen and using just the VC. My biggest bonus with it is being able to customise what I see. So I can see the map, directions, and consumption all in one screen, whereas normally that would require changing to 3 screens to see that data.

On the flip side, the MMI is good, and if you have the colour DIS screen on the cockpit that will do navigation too.

For CarPlay - I'll be brutally honest in that it's not worth €400 - I find it pretty poor / basic in functionality and the built in MMI functionality much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeagleKCH and AidenL
I thought Apple Carplay was standard on B9s?

Virtual cockpit is very handy when driving the wife as I can use the nav on the VC while she's free to play around with the radio/media on the main screen.

Reactions: AidenL
I second maui's comments.
I have disabled CarPlay as it replaces a really nice, well thought out mmi with very basic child-like app.
The vc, however gimmicky people say it is, really floats my boat and I wouldn't be without it
Not really sure it has any advantages over the analogue dash but it has loads of features I like, full map, minimising dials, shows range whatever view you're on...

Last edited:
I second maui's comments.
I have disabled CarPlay as it replaces a really nice, well thought out mmi with very basic child-like app.
The vc, however gimmicky people say it is, really floats my boat and I wouldn't be without it
Not really sure it has any advantages over the analogue dash but it has loads of features I like, full map, minimising dials, shows range whatever view you're on...
Don't you need CarPlay to use Spotify though, or can it be accessed via the MMI?

Can Google Maps be accessed through CarPlay or is it Apple Maps only Im guessing?

Not tried Spotify since I disabled CarPlay so I'll check tomorrow.
I have a work phone and private and the inability to call out from either whilst using CarPlay is a real PITA

Reactions: PR. and AidenL
So so it's impossible to call out if CarPlay is in use?

That's a massive disadvantage.

Do you mean using contacts or manually dialling?

You can make calls on Carplay, and use siri to do it so its one press on the button on the steering wheel, much better than MMI.
You can also use it listen to and reply to text messages which I find useful.

I always use carplay I find it an improvement over MMI.

Google Maps is not available on carplay , although Apple Maps is, if you have the technology pack you can set the factory navigation to use google maps, and together with virtual cockpit, its very good. Particularly if there is a traffic jam ahead as you can see it on your screen even if your are not using the navigation for routing.

Reactions: AidenL and maui
I would say get a car you can try it in and see what you think. To me it's not worth the hassle. I'd rather just find what I want to do before I set off (i.e. open Audible, or Spotify) then let it play over USB. The Music selection interface is very limited, and once you are playing something the standard controls work fine for skipping tracks etc.

I also often find that it crashes or just stops playing for no reason. I've a 6S Plus so should be up to the task.

I originally came from using Waze daily, but now prefer to use the built in nav for reasons that @hmy7k mentioned - it works really well with traffic, and shows you congestion on your route, and pulls that traffic data from multiple sources - including Google.

So so it's impossible to call out if CarPlay is in use?

That's a massive disadvantage.

Do you mean using contacts or manually dialling?

What Pork means is if you have your phone plugged in for CarPlay then Bluetooth connection is disabled so, presumably, he/she can't use both his/her phones. However I wasn't aware you could connect two phones over Bluetooth so don't see any difference.

With regard to the original question I went without the VC as felt it is very expensive for what it is. There are a couple of occasions where I've been driving on navigation and my passenger has been choosing music on CarPlay and VC would have been useful but for those few occasions when that happens I prefer to have the cash in my pocket.

I like CarPlay especially as I use Apple Music a lot. I thought I would miss the hard drive I had in my old car but with CarPlay I don't need it. Also, Siri is far better than the MMI voice control that seems to always be on a tea break when I ask something!

Last edited:
I would say get a car you can try it in and see what you think. To me it's not worth the hassle. I'd rather just find what I want to do before I set off (i.e. open Audible, or Spotify) then let it play over USB. The Music selection interface is very limited, and once you are playing something the standard controls work fine for skipping tracks etc.

I also often find that it crashes or just stops playing for no reason. I've a 6S Plus so should be up to the task.

I originally came from using Waze daily, but now prefer to use the built in nav for reasons that @hmy7k mentioned - it works really well with traffic, and shows you congestion on your route, and pulls that traffic data from multiple sources - including Google.
Ok, so even the standard MMI will on Spotify for example, allow you to select a playlist and skip tracks, while displaying album art.

I use Spotify a lot, so I thought Id have to use CarPlay to access it thoroughly. If the standard MMI will do the same, I'll save a few quid then and just use it......

Not tried Spotify since I disabled CarPlay so I'll check tomorrow.
I have a work phone and private and the inability to call out from either whilst using CarPlay is a real PITA
Just reminding you :)

If you could check Spotify functionality on the MMI, id appreciate it.

Ok, with CarPlay disabled you can play Spotify via USB.
You have to select album or playlist on phone to start with but then you can track skip using car controls.
You only see current track playing on mmi and can't go up a folder or change between albums/playlists but you do get artwork.

Ok, with CarPlay disabled you can play Spotify via USB.
You have to select album or playlist on phone to start with but then you can track skip using car controls.
You only see current track playing on mmi and can't go up a folder or change between albums/playlists but you do get artwork.
Thank you !