Vinyl -v- digital sound reproduction.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cleaning out the deepest recesses of our loft at present and have found a box of old LPs from our younger years.
Since we both tended to look after our records they are in mint condition, which, has now led to the possibility of them being brought back into use.
This has also re-ignited an age-old question in our house, does vinyl sound better than digital sound reproduction.
We think it is better, well maybe not better but has qualities that modern digital playback lacks.
So I'll need to organise a new turntable to plug into the amp, never thought I be doing this...lol

Any thoughts chaps.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Vinyl has made a comeback in recent years. Your collection will be worth a pretty penny now. I do prefer vinyl but I'm old fashioned. That said, there are many convenience advantages of digital - you can skip infinitely without damaging media, you can edit out rogue frequencies, it takes up less space.
Personally I'd transfer the vinyl to digital format and remaster, keeping the vinyl for best.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I used to mix, not your music style imho, but 1210's were & still are the best tables imho, use some top ortofons, game over.

Aesthetic tables seem to be the home choice, but technics take some beating.

Reactions: Garrett 69 and Charlie Farley
I'm a big Pink Floyd fan with a lot on vinyl, I recal when "The Wall " was released I was straight down to the local record shop for a copy, it sounded awsome every time I played it.
I've played the remastered versions but they seem to lack something, just a bit flat really, well from memory that is, it's been a long time since that LP has been on a turntable.

Agreed on Technics. I used their decks for DJing back in the late 90s until they got nicked. After that I switched to laptop, being the first commercial DJ to use one.

Reactions: Raiden and Charlie Farley
I've played the remastered versions but they seem to lack something, just a bit flat really, well from memory that is, it's been a long time since that LP has been on a turntable.
Can't say I'm a Floyd fan myself but another advantage of digital, from my perspective, is the almost limitless ability to tweak the sound.

I do have a very broad spectrum when it comes to music, i may be nearly 60 but it hasn't changed my love of all types of music new and old..

Reactions: Garrett 69
Agreed on Technics. I used their decks for DJing back in the late 90s until they got nicked. After that I switched to laptop, being the first commercial DJ to use one.
Agreed, I do have a soft spot for Technics kit.
I lashed out on a pair of floor standing Eltax speakers back in 2004, they are brilliant even after 18 years still sounding crisp.

Have you listened to Gabrielle Aplin? She's done some amazing stuff. Only slightly biased because she's a friend of my eldest daughter.

Have you listened to Gabrielle Aplin? She's done some amazing stuff. Only slightly biased because she's a friend of my eldest daughter.
I have indeed, i really enjoy listening to " The power of love" she is very talented indeed.

Reactions: Garrett 69
I'm a big Hifi buff, I have a lovely Michell Gyro SE like below but with an SME IV Tonearm and a Hana ML cartridge.

Gyro-SE-Header-727w.jpg

The problem is with digital, is that it costs a LOT to make it sound as natural and alive as vinyl. I've hated digital throughout my hifi journey and always resorted back to vinyl, but now with some choice (and expensive) kit, I am beginning to enjoy digital more than vinyl and find myself going back to digital.

One way to make digital sound more natural and analogue like is invest in a R2R Dac (like an Aqua) rather than a typical Oversampling Dac, and a ****** good streamer like an Auralic Aries G2/2.1. Then you'll be close to analogue sound but with the positives that digital does have over vinyl.

Reactions: Rob Avant and Charlie Farley
I'm liking this thread this evening chaps, right up my street indeed, good stuff . :yahoo:

If you're looking for a big midrange Rob, that warm full bodied sound of yesteryear, invest in a valve amplifier , then your digital will sound floaty as well.

Looks like I will be upgrading our audio setup in doors now. :icon thumright:

If you're looking for a big midrange Rob, that warm full bodied sound of yesteryear, invest in a valve amplifier , then your digital will sound floaty as well.
Any specific unit you'd recommend ?

Any specific unit you'd recommend ?
Thats a huge can of worms as you have to match it to speakers as well. You kinda have to find the sound you want, it's a bit of a journey.

I use a Prima Luna EVO400.

The older Prima Luna Dialogues are out there for decent money too, although PL are valve amps, they sound a lot more solidstate than traditional valve amps, so you may want to get to listen to some before committing.

pluna_1.png

Theres a nice Prima Luna on PFM right now.

The hifi world is as big as your wallet...but nice little systems can be put together for 1-2k if you buy everything preowned.

I'm looking into this more now, I suspect it's going to be an open wallet situation but worth the outlay.
May have to sell another organ..lol

Reactions: Dubjam
I'm looking into this more now, I suspect it's going to be an open wallet situation but worth the outlay.
May have to sell another organ..lol

It's a bank account drainer that's for sure, but its so satisfying hearing music properly.

Get your speakers right first...there's a used set of Q Acoustic Concept 300's going for a bargain price. These are my speakers and are absolutely sublime... plus they look damn sexy too