Viewed several S3's and spotted something strange - help spotting accident damage ?

CJP

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After 2 months of searching for the right car, I still haven't found one :( - almost tempted to go back to my original plans of buying an S2000 but I will persist with the S3 search for now!

On the the point for this post - I have viewed quite a number of S3s recently that I have noticed have unusual bumper characteristics, leading me to believe there may have been some structural damage particularly in the front end. Ive noticed the exact same 'characteristics' on about 4 examples so far, so hoped to get your guys input/thoughts on; whether it is just a normal characteristic, or actually evidence of accident damage/repair.

Unfortunately I haven't pictures of the cars I viewed first hand, but had a look on autotrader and found one with the unusual bumper I am referring to; http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../radius/100/page/1/postcode/eh106uh?logcode=p

Its the underneath I am referring to, the slightly warped metal strip hanging underneath, with a section that looks missing to the right. Is this normal and just more noticeable on silver examples? Unfortunately I never asked any of the owners at the time about this issue, so hopefully you guys here may be able to help!?:unsure:

On a side note, what are your thoughts on the above s3? Seems like a nice example with good history - something I have realised should be the first thing to look for now! Had my heart set on Nogaro, Black or Ming Blue but Silver is growing on me...!

Cheers guys, any input appreciated!:blush:

Thats just the bottom of the lip of the front bumper, the first bit that catches the ground etc

Its more noticable on a silver car is all

id be tempted to go for a silver if i were buying again, just because the paintwork is so low maintainance. Id rather have an s3 over a s2000:gaehn:

wouldnt catch me in a honda

Its normal they all have the gap in the lower lip of the front bumper

Thanks for the replies guys, makes my initial question sound fairly stupid now! Did find it strange that they all had the section of the lip missing on the right hand side/passenger side though!

Any feedback on the actual car above?

On the S2000 vs S3 issue, I agree - I have a vtec history, hence the s2000 interest, but will stick with my search for 4WD Turbo Luxury!

It's normal.

Good luck on your S3 search, there are many nice examples about! What specs are you looking for?

It's normal.

Good luck on your S3 search, there are many nice examples about! What specs are you looking for?

Thanks mate. In terms of specs, things I definately would want; alu mirrors, facelift (ideally BAM engine but not too bothered as would likely remap), RS TTs although willing to compromise on the right car, and a good service history with the major replacements completed. Sub 90k miles too.

The more extras the better, but BOSE, heated seats etc wouldn't necessarily be deal-breakers but nice to have! As you may have noticed, the above car has most of these an more (with the exception of wheels), but silver was initially way down the list!

I will say this forum has been extremely helpful in my search, so hopefully I can join you guys in ownership soon!

Ha - thanks for going to that effort mate! I have been limiting my search to within 150 miles from Edinburgh for ease of viewing - maybe I will have to expand my range, just apprehensive travelling down to London if not 100% sure on a car! Cheers again mate

Hi mate, its normal, as already mentioned, I hate it on mine, as it looks as if something is missing, a quick fix that alot of S3 owners do is to fit a Leon Cupra R front splitter, think they only cost about £20 from Seat main dealer and doesnt take long to fit either, there are a few write ups on here already on how to fit this if it helps at all.

cjp, I have had a long history with VTEC as well, last car being a 98 spec DC2. Loved the car. but had to move on, Sadly I think Honda have lost their way a bit unless you have a spare £20'000 or so for an FD2, nothing really hits the right notes. Drove a mates pre facelift S3 and I was blown away. Great car which feels huge, quality levels honda can only dream of inside and b00st! power without having to rag the nuts off the car (still do love VTEC y0 though!)

S2k, nice but I couldn't sit in one comfortably (i'm only 6'1") which put me off hugely.

good luck with the finding one. I love my S3. great car. black is a pain to clean though. meh!