Vibration through steering 60/70mph

george981

Reaction score
Evening everyone.

As the title suggests, I'm getting vibration through the steering wheel starting at around 60/70mph.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I'm finding a list of things online of what it could be from a bent alloy to drive shafts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

As above, have the wheels balanced and check for buckles at the same time.
Usually a vibration through the steering is front end, vibration through your seat is back end.

Hit any road craters recently ? Worn tyres ?

Reactions: george981
As above, have the wheels balanced and check for buckles at the same time.
Usually a vibration through the steering is front end, vibration through your seat is back end.

Hit any road craters recently ? Worn tyres ?

Had the balancing and alignment done a couple of weeks back.

Haven't hit any of the local councils finest work and the tyres are in good nick. I had the front shocks and upper arms replaced a month or two ago and the vibration still persists. (found out they needed doing while putting new cv joints on)

Sounds like I'll have to get the fronts off and check for anything abnormal with the rim.

This is why I shouldn't be left alone to buy a car haha ‍

Cheers for the replies.

Did this start after front shocks/arms ?

I would swap front wheels to back and backs to front. If you still have the vibration through steering it may be suspension/shaft related - if you feel it through the seat you have a problem with an alloy.

Reactions: DonkeyIce
Evening everyone.

As the title suggests, I'm getting vibration through the steering wheel starting at around 60/70mph.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I'm finding a list of things online of what it could be from a bent alloy to drive shafts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Check wheel balancing
Also check hub to allow mating faces, make sure they are clean, while they’re off you can dab a smear of copper grease on the hub / mating faces.

Check all the bolts are torqued up when the alloy is mounted back on and torqued up in the corrected sequence.
75cebade7980cc05ea0254715ec803da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: george981
Did this start after front shocks/arms ?

I would swap front wheels to back and backs to front. If you still have the vibration through steering it may be suspension/shaft related - if you feel it through the seat you have a problem with an alloy.

It was there before the shocks and arms were changed, when I realised they needed doing I thought that may be the cause of the vibration.

Will give the wheels a swop and see if I feel anything through the seat.

Really annoying as the wife drives a 15 plate vauxhall astra and it's way smoother than the A6 at the moment.

Update!

Took the advice from Jetty and swopped the rears to the front, vibration through the steering is pretty much non existent. I can feel a slight vibration through the seat but no where near as bad as it was from the wheel.

Couldn't see any noticeable buckle when I had the wheels off but will be getting hold of a refurb company to come take a look.

Cheers for all the advice! Really thought I'd be paying out for new suspension parts.

Reactions: michael A and rjwojcik
Well there you go - at least it should be a simple fix. Either a balancing problem, buckle or a flat spot. All of which a decent tyre fitter should be able to diagnose.

Update!

Took the advice from Jetty and swopped the rears to the front, vibration through the steering is pretty much non existent. I can feel a slight vibration through the seat but no where near as bad as it was from the wheel.

Couldn't see any noticeable buckle when I had the wheels off but will be getting hold of a refurb company to come take a look.

Cheers for all the advice! Really thought I'd be paying out for new suspension parts.

I wouldn't be going down the refurb route. Have the rears (were fronts) balanced and you'll know exactly which one it is then replace.. refurb compaines will try and heat it up and knock it out as best they can then overcome it with plenty of balancing weights, basically just putting a sticky plaster on it. the first pot hole you hit will knock it back to where it is right now. look to replacing the issue wheel.