Vibration/Rattle from MMI Screen?

Wild Bob

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone had any experience of a creaking/vibration from the MMI screen on the dash? Happens usually at speed and going over bumps in the road - It sounds like the MMI screen assembly is making the noise as if I hold it when purposefully going over bumps/cats eyes to replicate it seems to stop....

Had a good look for similar on here and found nothing....annoying as it's not 100% persistent - just seems to be certain speed/road condition that causes it...

Anyone seen anything similar??

WB

Reactions: Hambee1234
My car does suffer from this.
I have just resorted to making sure that the radio is just that little bit louder.
I am waiting on a new car coming soon (WLTP Fiasco) so just living with it for now tbh.

Mine does it - turns out its not the screen is the band of aluminium trim below it. If I place my thumb against the trim just under or above the air con screen it stops.

Had a similar creaking sound on mine around the MMI.

Cost pennies and took minutes to fix.

I just put 2 small felt sticky back pads underneath the dash in the areas the creaking is coming from.

No more creaks for years now.

Sounds sensible - I presume pads between the MMI and trim would probably sort it....I may have a tinker...

Hi,
Anyone had any experience of a creaking/vibration from the MMI screen on the dash? Happens usually at speed and going over bumps in the road - It sounds like the MMI screen assembly is making the noise as if I hold it when purposefully going over bumps/cats eyes to replicate it seems to stop....

Had a good look for similar on here and found nothing....annoying as it's not 100% persistent - just seems to be certain speed/road condition that causes it...

Anyone seen anything similar??

WB

I had a similar problem on my B9 RS4. When the engine hit 2000 revs it rattles / buzzed. Took ages to sort it as they kept thinking they had fixed it so it was back and forth 3-4 times. Not sure what they did eventually but maybe something was unclipped somewhere.

Strangely enough though I noticed only today it’s something similar again. But this time it sounds like an actually speaker rattle at certain tones / pitch levels when playing music. Not what you should expect from a B&O speaker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem on my B9 RS4. When the engine hit 2000 revs it rattles / buzzed. Took ages to sort it as they kept thinking they had fixed it so it was back and forth 3-4 times. Not sure what they did eventually but maybe something was unclipped somewhere.

Strangely enough though I noticed only today it’s something similar again. But this time it sounds like an actually speaker rattle at certain tones / pitch levels when playing music. Not what you should expect from a B&O speaker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My central BnO speaker vibrates without any music playing and the passenger door one resonates very easily. Very poor quality fittings. The merc and bmw have a metal style grille and doesn’t seem to have the same problems. When mine goes in for the oil change next month I’m getting these things looked at.

Had a similar creaking sound on mine around the MMI.

Cost pennies and took minutes to fix.

I just put 2 small felt sticky back pads underneath the dash in the areas the creaking is coming from.

No more creaks for years now.

A4A4 - sounds like you fixed a reasonably common issue - any photo available of where you placed the pads? I can't find a gap big enough :)

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
A4A4 - sounds like you fixed a reasonably common issue - any photo available of where you placed the pads? I can't find a gap big enough :)

I just lifted up (slightly) the plastic trim away where the noise was coming from using plastic trim removal tool.

Then placed two felt pads underneath

But your creaking maybe coming from a different area and mine is a B8.5 model.

No pics, no fix... ;-)

This worked for me.

IMG 20181101 084450

Yes - thanks - little different on B9 but wonder if same issue - may have a root around :)

Same Here. i was at dealer officials and they cannot find the source. Is something around MMI screen.

I've had mine looked at today....apparently the only way for them to fix it is to replace the whole screen! They have ordered this in under warranty for me. This seems overkill to me as someone recently posted the screen was 1400 to replace. But if it fixes it so be it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well they're paying for it and instead of taking it apart and possibly not finding what it causing the issues they are going the whole hog. Seems like you've got a good deal...

It's defo the screen on mine, after driving over rumble strips on any road/motorway I can resolve the issue by pinching the mmi screen sides together and the noise stops....sounds like a trip to get a new screen installed!

Or it is the surround not mounting the screen tightly enough allowing the screen to vibrate. Maybe some foam pads were left out when it was assembled.
I am not surprised these come as a complete unit though, it could be a nightmare to take them apart to find out what is wrong..

I’ve located 4/5 rattles on my A4 which I need to get round to fixing, part from centre speaker.

I get a rattles on rough road surfaces from the centre speaker trim and the chrome trim just below the MMI. I also get bad rattles on 3 of the door cards where the armrests meet the lower door card. Some of the rattle are off topic I know.

6C8B9AD6 F906 4B80 804A AA5A355A3770

396A14A3 6F2E 499F B9F3 326527AA424C

Yep I get this too drives me mad. Really shouldn’t happen on a £47k car.

Tell that also to Mercedes or BMW owners. But you are right it shouldn't rattle, even if it cost half that figure...