Vibrating shudder under heavy breaking on New Disks and pads !!!!

FlawlessA4

Reaction score
Hi,
A bit of help needed. I changed the front disks and pads only about 3,500 miles ago. And now when I brake even moderately hard it feels like the disks are warped or the pads are gone. I get a kind of grinding/shuddering feeling under my foot, like Im braking on worn pads or a warped disk but there fine and all new ??
There is no real vibration or shudder through the steering wheel, just under my foot and an hear it just dosent sound right.
Wheels are brand new too so not those either !

Im stumped !

Any help much appreciated.

Padraic

Sounds like your disks are warped! Get them skimmed and see if that sorts it out! My mate was getting same thing in his car and thats wats he did, now all sorted

Reactions: FlawlessA4
I think you would have noticed this before if the discs were warped.I would check that the pads are free in the carriers first

Is it the ABS activating? Damaged a sensor perhaps? If not that and it is just noise from pads then try taking them out and roughing up the braking surface with some emery paper.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's coming from the front brakes. The rear may have to be replaced too.

thanks a mill for all the replys lads.
ill have to have a proper look tomorrow to check all the possibilities.

@ Cribbon ;
How much dose it cost to get the Disks skimmed ???? never heard of anyone doing that over here !!

@Rheady
Ive changed the pads on the back, same time as the front but yea the rear disks are a bit rough around the edges !
could the vibration be from the rear so, as id only feel the back brakes really bite down in heavy braking ??

apprectate the replys lads.

If the rear discs are bad I would change them to be honest. Is it worse when you are breaking down hill. That was the main indicator that my rear discs were knackered. When was the brake fluid changed last. It's recommended to be changed every two years.

thanks a mill for all the replys lads.
ill have to have a proper look tomorrow to check all the possibilities.

@ Cribbon ;
How much dose it cost to get the Disks skimmed ???? never heard of anyone doing that over here !!

apprectate the replys lads.

well my mates a mechanic and does them for me so i can give him as call and ask!

If you having them skimmed after only 3500 miles I'd be concerned about putting them back on the car. Unless you have a very heavy braking foot they sound like the disks are inferior material. Have you checked the bearings and the bushes on the front of the car too.

heard of this fault before on a b5 diesel done 1000miles ended up being chepo dodgy brakes the customer supplied we sent them back and the new set was sound....

heard of this fault before on a b5 diesel done 1000miles ended up being chepo dodgy brakes the customer supplied we sent them back and the new set was sound....

Like Mark I too have experienced this very same issue on my old Audi 80.
I had trouble after a few thousand miles (if my memory is correct) and the fix was to replace both the brakes and discs
I remember the incident well if only because I had a row with the supplier of the original brakes and discs who tried to tell me my driving style had caused the new discs to warp.